VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Bothriechis marchi

Go down 
+2
Lukas Maurer
Rob Gandola
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Rob Gandola

Male
Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-03-27

Bothriechis marchi Empty
PostSubject: Bothriechis marchi   Bothriechis marchi Icon_minitimeSat 28 Mar - 3:43

Here's some pics of a few of the B. marchi we found in Honduras last summer.

Bothriechis marchi DSC_2222

Bothriechis marchi DSC_2068

Bothriechis marchi DSC_2050

Bothriechis marchi DSC_1048

Bothriechis marchi DSC_1033
Back to top Go down
Lukas Maurer

Male
Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2009-01-16

Bothriechis marchi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bothriechis marchi   Bothriechis marchi Icon_minitimeSat 28 Mar - 5:59

Wonderfull species
Back to top Go down
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Bothriechis marchi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bothriechis marchi   Bothriechis marchi Icon_minitimeSat 28 Mar - 8:57

this is my south american dream-species Rob...
just look at them, what a beauty... can you give us any information about their biology Rob?

cheers
M
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomland.org
Rob Gandola

Male

Bothriechis marchi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bothriechis marchi   Bothriechis marchi Icon_minitimeSat 28 Mar - 9:30

We always found them in the cloud forest always when it was raining or after a heavy downpour and usually close to a water source..Their diet seems to vary from the pocket and deer mice species to the large endemic Plectrohyla exquisita and other frog species.

They are very rarely found close to the ground during the day apart from when they are waiting in ambush after a heavy nights rain or after they have fed. And even then they are never on the ground they are always perched on a bush/branch/rock/palm frond etc..

It's thought that they all migrate into the upper canopy during the day to thermoregulate in the sun (it's normally very dark, damp and can be cold under the dense cloud forest canopy) which makes sense. But we will have a high ropes system set up this year so hopefully we will find this out for certain and get some temperature readings.

They are not a common species like Cerrophidion but like I say hopefully this year we will be able to get some good data.
There'a also the possibility that B. thalassinus is also within the park and since it is very similar to B. marchi we may have overlooked their presence before esp. with the juveiles. We also found B. schlegelii in the west of the park (well that's they only place they have been found so far).

cheers,

Rob
Back to top Go down
Rene Schenk
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Rene Schenk

Male
Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Bothriechis marchi Empty
PostSubject: B. marchi   Bothriechis marchi Icon_minitimeSat 28 Mar - 15:25

Hello Rob, a very nice snake and pictures. Would look great in my collection.
I cant wait to see some pictures of the mentioned B. thalassinus.
This is my absolut favorite, beside Bothriopsis bilineata smaragdina.
Greetings Rene
Back to top Go down
Rob Gandola

Male

Bothriechis marchi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bothriechis marchi   Bothriechis marchi Icon_minitimeSat 28 Mar - 20:30

Quote :
I cant wait to see some pictures of the mentioned B. thalassinus

I can't wait to take some if we find them! Surprised

They are present within the Merendon Range so it's highly possible that they have just been over looked or have been misidentified as B. marchi so far..not everyone enjoys getting up close and personal with these guys (esp. the local guides. They really fear the 'Tamaga Verde'). Hopefully we'll get them this year.
Back to top Go down
Curtis Stewart
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Curtis Stewart

Male
Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Bothriechis marchi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bothriechis marchi   Bothriechis marchi Icon_minitimeTue 31 Mar - 0:35

Nice photos. Bothriechis is probably my favorite snake species. I have B. lateralis and B. schlegelii in my collection now.
Back to top Go down
Rob Gandola

Male

Bothriechis marchi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bothriechis marchi   Bothriechis marchi Icon_minitimeSat 4 Apr - 4:28

Lateralis are very nice (nice avatar pic! Smile )...although the 'moss' and lichen phases of schlegel's have a special place in my heart Smile
Back to top Go down
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male
Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2011-03-01

Bothriechis marchi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bothriechis marchi   Bothriechis marchi Icon_minitimeMon 15 Jul - 22:55

This snake here is most likely Guifarro's Palm-pitviper, Bothriechis guifarroi as seems to be Plate 384. identified as Bothriechis marchi, in The Venomous Reptiles of The Western Hemisphere, Volume 1, Jonathan A. Campbell and William W. Lamar.

Bothriechis guifarro taxonomically, is closer to Bothriechis lateralis or even it's relict sister specie .

Prof. Micheal Burger's pers comm. " i lump most green arboreal New World Montane Palm Pit Vipers with in the Lateralis clade ".

At first i was schocked ! by his taxonomic prediction ? but as time goes on it's making sense.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bothriechis marchi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bothriechis marchi   Bothriechis marchi Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bothriechis marchi
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VenomLand :: Viperidae :: Bothriechis & Bothriopsis-
Jump to: