VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

australien elapids

Go down 
+4
Guenter Leitenbauer
Andrew Hacket
Johan Pennanen
Christoph Studer
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Christoph Studer
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Christoph Studer

Male
Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2009-01-16

australien elapids Empty
PostSubject: australien elapids   australien elapids Icon_minitimeTue 14 Apr - 4:36

Acanthophis antarcticus
australien elapids Ostern055

australien elapids Ostern062

Acanthophis hawkei
australien elapids 8409056

Pseudechis colletti
australien elapids Ostern049

australien elapids Ostern048

australien elapids Ostern035

All the best
chris
Back to top Go down
Johan Pennanen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Johan Pennanen

Male
Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-10-28

australien elapids Empty
PostSubject: Re: australien elapids   australien elapids Icon_minitimeTue 14 Apr - 4:56

Amazing snakes you got there Chris!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Andrew Hacket
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Andrew Hacket

Male
Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2008-04-27

australien elapids Empty
PostSubject: Re: australien elapids   australien elapids Icon_minitimeTue 14 Apr - 4:59

Hi Christopher , Thanks for the pictures.
Though I am wondering what do you mean by ''A.hawkei'' ? Your specimen is certainly not a barkley or camooweal locality for which hawkei has/is propsed to cover.
Do you have EXACT locality of this animal or was this animal sold to you as ''hawkei''?

This is what I expect some ''A.hawkei'' to look like.
australien elapids 21012008268
australien elapids Elapids%20011

Anyways , nice animal interesting yellow on the banding is your specimen.

Cheers
Andrew

ps Does anyone know if A.hawkei is officially in use ?
Back to top Go down
Andrew Hacket
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Andrew Hacket

Male

australien elapids Empty
PostSubject: Re: australien elapids   australien elapids Icon_minitimeTue 14 Apr - 5:13

Hi Chris...
You see this is the orange phase ''Barkley'' from Camooweal , also ''A.hawkei''

australien elapids Jamgo%27s%20027

Thanks
Andrew
Back to top Go down
Christoph Studer
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Christoph Studer

Male

australien elapids Empty
PostSubject: Re: australien elapids   australien elapids Icon_minitimeTue 14 Apr - 5:24

hy Andrew

Really a nice Death adder on the first Pic.
My Pic from the hawkei is overlightning (hmpff-my english, i hope you understand)

Here are some better pics:
australien elapids Deathy5

australien elapids Deathy4

australien elapids Deathy2

chris
Back to top Go down
Johan Pennanen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Johan Pennanen

Male
Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-10-28

australien elapids Empty
PostSubject: Re: australien elapids   australien elapids Icon_minitimeTue 14 Apr - 5:29

Fantastic snakes Andrew!!
Do you breed any of them?

/ Johan
Back to top Go down
Andrew Hacket
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Andrew Hacket

Male

australien elapids Empty
PostSubject: Re: australien elapids   australien elapids Icon_minitimeTue 14 Apr - 6:41

Hey Chris your english is fine , I am understanding perfectly Smile
Nice adders. The cage for your animals is looking like the real habitat they must be loving it.

Hi Johan , I am not breeding acanthophis but I have great interest in their variety and locality.

Smile
Back to top Go down
Andrew Hacket
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Andrew Hacket

Male

australien elapids Empty
PostSubject: Re: australien elapids   australien elapids Icon_minitimeTue 14 Apr - 6:49

Chris , that is a very nice antarcticus , I like the thin banding Smile
Back to top Go down
Andrew Hacket
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Andrew Hacket

Male

australien elapids Empty
PostSubject: Re: australien elapids   australien elapids Icon_minitimeTue 14 Apr - 15:38

Hi Guys , I sent those pictures of chris's animals to a friend who is working with a lot a adders and he said that these adders appear to be Hill or Top End Adders Acanthophis lancasteri From around Litchfield Park , perhaps WW may be able to assist here...

cheers
Andrew
Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male
Number of posts : 1389
Registration date : 2008-05-17

australien elapids Empty
PostSubject: Re: australien elapids   australien elapids Icon_minitimeTue 14 Apr - 16:51

Andrew ... do You freehandle these? The image would suggest this.
Back to top Go down
http://www.leitenbauer.net

australien elapids Empty
PostSubject: Re: australien elapids   australien elapids Icon_minitimeTue 14 Apr - 18:03

Hey Christoph!

Do you have Pseudechis colletti and Acanthophis now??? You're really a stunning man full of surprises! Very Happy

Cheers
LucasC.
Back to top Go down
Andrew Hacket
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Andrew Hacket

Male

australien elapids Empty
PostSubject: Re: australien elapids   australien elapids Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr - 2:06

Hi Guenter , These are a friends pictures and he does free handle them , The Barkleys are a very good natured animal and free handling is very common in Australia but you see there is plenty antivenom available and experience to treat this envenomation over there. I think if you try this with indonesian adders then you get bitten immediately.

Does anyone have experience with an indonesian adders that become calm ? All the ones I have seen even cb are extremely aggressive ?
Back to top Go down
Andrew Hacket
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Andrew Hacket

Male

australien elapids Empty
PostSubject: Re: australien elapids   australien elapids Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr - 2:09

Guenter if you watch this video you can see the adders have no intention to bite whilst free handling. Very interesting viewing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oxumVmQNIw
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male
Number of posts : 766
Registration date : 2009-01-07

australien elapids Empty
PostSubject: Re: australien elapids   australien elapids Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr - 2:26

I don´t think this is a good video

First the snakes are just hanging, showing no action ....

Second
http://www.aussiereptileclassifieds.com/phpPETITION/
Quote :
For the last two years in the Australian state of Victoria, Raymond Terence Hoser has been carrying out unlicensed scientific procedures on animals to develop and demonstrate surgical techniques for the removal of venom glands from snakes. These scientific procedures were carried out on premises that are not licensed for the purpose, which is in contravention of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1986, Section 27(1). Moreover, his home surgery without adequate analgesia and anaesthesia constitutes an offence under Section 9(1) and Section 36(2) of the same Act. Furthermore, by practising veterinary surgery without a veterinary qualification, Mr. Hoser is in breach of Section 57(1)(d) of the Veterinary Practice Act 1997.

Mr Hoser has been describing and defending his activities both in print and on the internet, including several published (paper and internet) papers in which he describes his procedures in detail, and which allow his actions to be evaluated against existing legislation in the State of Victoria where the offences took place.

The relevant papers and information are freely available from Raymond Hoser’s website at http://www.smuggled.com/, under the URLs http://www.smuggled.com/VenArt1.htm, http://www.smuggled.com/HarEvi2.htm, and http://www.smuggled.com/VenSur6.htm.

RGDS Fabian
Back to top Go down
http://www.rear-fanged.com
Christoph Studer
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Christoph Studer

Male

australien elapids Empty
PostSubject: Re: australien elapids   australien elapids Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr - 2:47

Hy Guys

@Andrew, thanks for your help to indentify those of the Death adders.
About that you have a interessting Pn Rolling Eyes
Lancasterei-hmm i dont think so.
I have seen the Parents from my Deathys and they are very-very big! With a big and large Head. These Animals are over 8o cm long.
I see some lancasterei and they all are small adders with a little head

...but like you say-we waiting what our WW says about that.

@Lucas
Lucas Carretero wrote:

You're really a stunning man full of surprises! Very Happy

Cheers
LucasC.
That is exactly what my girlfriend every night says to me Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Chris
Back to top Go down
Andrew Hacket
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Andrew Hacket

Male

australien elapids Empty
PostSubject: Re: australien elapids   australien elapids Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr - 2:48

Fabian , Yes it is definitely NOT a good example video and most of the information's is incorrect. But that's a damn nice Barkley Death Adder Smile

Still though I am sure if he is trying this same stunt with PNG taipans it will be a different show.
Back to top Go down
Andrew Hacket
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Andrew Hacket

Male

australien elapids Empty
PostSubject: Re: australien elapids   australien elapids Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr - 3:02

Hey Chris you must be careful surprising your girlfriend every night !! maybe one day she will become your wife. HAHA
Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male
Number of posts : 1389
Registration date : 2008-05-17

australien elapids Empty
PostSubject: Re: australien elapids   australien elapids Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr - 4:14

Andrew Hacket wrote:
Guenter if you watch this video you can see the adders have no intention to bite whilst free handling. Very interesting viewing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oxumVmQNIw

OMG ... the tone was so bad, I did not understand everything he said. I guess, these Taipans were venomoids?
Anyway - crazy and not a good example. Completely unnecessary sensation chasing ...
Back to top Go down
http://www.leitenbauer.net

australien elapids Empty
PostSubject: Re: australien elapids   australien elapids Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr - 5:23

Andrew Hacket wrote:
Fabian , Yes it is definitely NOT a good example video and most of the information's is incorrect. But that's a damn nice Barkley Death Adder Smile

Still though I am sure if he is trying this same stunt with PNG taipans it will be a different show.

saying that, my female png is probably the calmest snake in my collection currently.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgang Wüster
Systematicus
Systematicus

Number of posts : 273
Registration date : 2008-03-12

australien elapids Empty
PostSubject: Re: australien elapids   australien elapids Icon_minitimeThu 16 Apr - 17:35

Regarding those Acanthophis, the taxonomy is still an open question. We have a reasonable grasp of the mitochondrial DNA phylogeography of these animals, but species limits are still somewhat up in the air.

The A. hawkei in Andrew's free-handling post are definitely typical Barkly Tableland A. hawkei.

The Camooweal adders, on the other hand, appear to be part of the A. rugosus complex, which extends from Irian Jaya (Merauke region) across to the Kimberleys, the Top End, and into western Queensland.

The animal labelled hawkei in the first post is a bit difficult to make out, but might in fact be the Northern Territory flood plain adder, which in our mtDNA analyses came out as identical to Barkly A. hawkei (Hoser described them as A. cummingi). However, I am not all that familiar with the external appearance of some of the Aussie adders, so I don't want to be overly rash in IDing them from photos.

Cheers,

WW
Back to top Go down
http://www.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/
Andrew Hacket
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Andrew Hacket

Male

australien elapids Empty
PostSubject: Re: australien elapids   australien elapids Icon_minitimeThu 16 Apr - 19:38

I am trying to grasp as best as I can an idea of the situation from google maps. Now it appears that Camooweal is closer to the tablelands area than it is to the dajarra winton mt isa ''rugosus'' stronghold ?
Is the camooweal landscape then more like the rugosus/dajarra habitat or more similar to the barkley tablelands?
I need to drive around australia for a few months !

Wolgang do you have any pictures of the adders that were sampled? Did you spend much time in australia?

Cheers
Andrew
Back to top Go down
Andrew Hacket
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Andrew Hacket

Male

australien elapids Empty
PostSubject: Re: australien elapids   australien elapids Icon_minitimeThu 16 Apr - 19:45

is the town barkly (seen at D) not part of the barkly tableland ? Camooweal can be seen just north west of D
australien elapids Barkly
Back to top Go down
Wolfgang Wüster
Systematicus
Systematicus

Number of posts : 273
Registration date : 2008-03-12

australien elapids Empty
PostSubject: Re: australien elapids   australien elapids Icon_minitimeThu 16 Apr - 22:17

Those adders that we sampled were captive and sampled by contacts in Australia, so I never saw them. However, I do believe they were WC and of reliable origin.

I have been through Camooweal and the Barkly Tableland. Most of the specimens of A. hawkei come from the Tablelands Highway, which is Road 11 on the map you posted. Camooweal is in between the Mt Isa area and the areas where most of these adders come from. If you look at it on Google Earth, you will also see Camooweal lying at the northwestern end of a more hilly and vegetated area that extends up from the Mt Isa area, and then merges into the flatter, less vegetated region of the Barkly Tableland proper once you get to C'weal. In effect, Camooweal is the sort of place where you mnight get either form.

Bear in mind that mtDNA cannot tell you the whole story. Chances are that a lot of these populations had quite different distributions at various stages through the Pleistocene, and indeed there may have been extensive hybdidisation. Because mtDNA is inherited solely through the mother, it cannot tell you about hybridisation on its own. MtDNA data therefore only give you a part of the story, and failure to appreciate that can lead to serrious misinterpretations. That's why I said that species limits are still up in the air. Wink

Cheers,

WW
Back to top Go down
http://www.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/
Andrew Hacket
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Andrew Hacket

Male

australien elapids Empty
PostSubject: Re: australien elapids   australien elapids Icon_minitimeFri 17 Apr - 18:52

Thanks for the habitat insight W , will check da google out later tonight.
I have just been informed that the floodplain adders have ventral marks/speckles and the hill adders have no markings at all.
Chris , do you think you can post some ventral shots for us.

Thanks guys
Andrew
Back to top Go down
Ty Milsom
Ty Milsom

Male
Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-02-28

australien elapids Empty
PostSubject: Re: australien elapids   australien elapids Icon_minitimeSat 2 May - 17:46

Hi Chris,

Great looking animals! You breeding Collett's?

Thanks

Ty
Back to top Go down
http://www.tropifauna.co.uk
Sponsored content

australien elapids Empty
PostSubject: Re: australien elapids   australien elapids Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

australien elapids
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next