VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

USE OF AN ACTIVE ANT NEST AS A HIBERNACULUM BY SMALL SNAKE SPECIES

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-03-06

USE OF AN ACTIVE ANT NEST AS A HIBERNACULUM BY SMALL SNAKE SPECIES Empty
PostSubject: USE OF AN ACTIVE ANT NEST AS A HIBERNACULUM BY SMALL SNAKE SPECIES   USE OF AN ACTIVE ANT NEST AS A HIBERNACULUM BY SMALL SNAKE SPECIES Icon_minitimeWed 22 Apr - 17:20

George R. Pisani

2009. Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science 112(1-2): 113-118

>From the article . . .

"Ant mounds offer potential hibernacula both for small snake species and also for
juveniles of many species, though this potential may be offset by aggression of ants in
active nests and the concomitant risk of death for snakes, especially juveniles. Despite this
risk, such hibernacula may be especially important for snake species not adapted (as is
Carphophis for example) for burrowing in habitats where soils are dense, or rocky, and
difficult for snakes to excavate. Thermal characteristics of ant nests appear only to offer
snakes access to survivable temperatures below frost line, rather than temperatures
notably warmer than surrounding soils."

A gratis PDF of this article is available from the CNAH PDF Library at

http://www.cnah.org/cnah_pdf.asp
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomland.org
Graeme Skinner
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Graeme Skinner

Male
Number of posts : 466
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: USE OF AN ACTIVE ANT NEST AS A HIBERNACULUM BY SMALL SNAKE SPECIES   USE OF AN ACTIVE ANT NEST AS A HIBERNACULUM BY SMALL SNAKE SPECIES Icon_minitimeWed 22 Apr - 17:49

Makes real interesting reading!
Back to top Go down
Patrice Lavigne
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: USE OF AN ACTIVE ANT NEST AS A HIBERNACULUM BY SMALL SNAKE SPECIES   USE OF AN ACTIVE ANT NEST AS A HIBERNACULUM BY SMALL SNAKE SPECIES Icon_minitimeSat 9 May - 8:38

I've read a couple of years ago a paper who talk about ant nest used by snakes to hibernate. The guy who made the study (in USA, Michigan if I remember) had placed a kind of trap around some den sites. I remember he found a couple of redbelly snake, 2 or 3 smooth greens and a juvenile northern water snake.

There is another cool and unusual thing a biologist and friend told me about black rat snake in Ontario (or in northern USA, I only remember the story). There was an herpetologist who made a study on this specie and he was following many specimens by telemetry. When he want to know where some specimens where denning, he found they hibernate in a dead tree. He found that temperature inside the tree was high enough to keep them alive for the whole winter.

Personally, I collect data about some den site. I found a lot in my life, in different kind of habitats and involving most snakes species in Québec. I never found any den in ant's nest and I don't know if this as been reported in the province.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: USE OF AN ACTIVE ANT NEST AS A HIBERNACULUM BY SMALL SNAKE SPECIES   USE OF AN ACTIVE ANT NEST AS A HIBERNACULUM BY SMALL SNAKE SPECIES Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1