VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

The ultimate trap/hide box?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Kalle Wahlbäck

Male
Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-04-18

The ultimate trap/hide box? Empty
PostSubject: The ultimate trap/hide box?   The ultimate trap/hide box? Icon_minitimeThu 23 Apr - 4:54

Hey, This will be my first post on this forum and whynot talk about a subject I've thought alot about.

I've seen many solutions on trap/hide boxes. And i'm planning to build some new cages this summer and I want the perfect trapbox if such a box exists?

Some of the best solutions I found on this forum

Frank Weinsheimer solution
https://venomland.forumotion.com/general-venomous-snake-keeping-f2/various-cage-settings-and-inhabitants-t1208.htm

Peter Pastor solution
https://venomland.forumotion.com/dendroaspis-f5/who-keeps-mambas-t8.htm

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Because I belive that handling venomous snakes should be as safe as possible and therefore as seldom as possible (ofcourse not make the care for the animal any less good maybe even better. No stress on the snakes and less risk for the keeper. Everyone wins right?

To remove handling compleatly is the goal but sometimes when medical assistace is needed and such cases ofcourse you may have to do it the old fasion way.

So let's figure out and maybe do a blueprint for such an enclosure and sharing with other venomous snakes keepers?

My "own" ide is to make the trapboxes build in the enclosures as Frank and Peter did but maybe have some connection for a transport box or a tube pipe.
I also have some thougts about a drawer where the waterbowl is so you easy can remove it from the enclosure and clean it without needing to open the front window.

So please share your experiences and thoughts about this aspect of keeping "hots".

Best regards Kalle Wahlbäck
Back to top Go down
Frank Weinsheimer
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Frank Weinsheimer

Male
Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2008-04-20

PostSubject: Re: The ultimate trap/hide box?   The ultimate trap/hide box? Icon_minitimeThu 23 Apr - 7:23

Hey Kalle,

I can just share my own experience with trap boxes. At first I think it is the best to build the hiding box as simple as possible. In the past I had some more complex boxes with a seperate front door and a sliding door to shut the entrance inside. All in all I was unhappy with it, as from time to time I couldn´t shut the entrance door to 100 % because of substrate in the rail.
After that I build the hiding boxes you see on my pictures and I´m very happy with them. If I would build some new ones they would be a little bit modified: What you can´t see on my pictures is the entrance hole of the drawer. It is build right next to the end of the drawer. If I could change it I would build the hole about 10cm near to the front. In that case I could pull out the drawer for a couple of centimeters and the box with the snake inside would be closed and the hole to the room behind the drawer as well (take a look on the picture with the hiding box. The snakes are safe in the drawer, but the hole to the room behind it is open). If there is only one snake in the hiding box and you close it, there is a good chance a further snake in the cage will slide into the room behind the drawer. In that case you can only wait until the snake comes out, or you pull out the full drawer. Now you can deal with two snakes at the same time, the one in the drawer (which can slide out now) and the snake behind the drawer you have to force to come out. Not a funny thing some time.
The second modification I would do is a hinge on the front part of the glass on top of the drawer and to enlarge the glass to cover the whole drawer except of the entrance whole. At the moment my drawer are covered only one half by glass and the glass is fixed (as well as senn on Peters pictures).
If the glass is larger and moveable through a hinge, you can open the drawer further to take a closer look on the snake inside (like for medical cause, etc.). And in case a snake shit or lays eggs inside the drawer, you can open it wide and clean or remove the eggs easily.
That´s all for now from my side, I hope my explanations were not to complicated without pictures.
By the way: My hiding boxes were never build to transport any snakes, just to safe them during cage cleaning. And if you have a good hiding box for snakes that generally use it, then you don´t need any construction for removal the water bowl from outside without opening the cage. My opinion.

Best regards

Frank
Back to top Go down
Kalle Wahlbäck

Male
Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-04-18

PostSubject: Re: The ultimate trap/hide box?   The ultimate trap/hide box? Icon_minitimeThu 23 Apr - 18:55

Thanks for the answer. Maybe as less complicated as better as you say.
Thats a bad thing as you say with your boxes that the other snake can crawl down in the space behind be drawer.

And as you say my waterbowl ide is a waste of time when you have a good trapbox.

Anyway you got me thinking. And when I design my cages I will remind that simple is often the best.

Anyone else who has a nice ide for a trapbox?

Best regards//Kalle
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The ultimate trap/hide box?   The ultimate trap/hide box? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The ultimate trap/hide box?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VenomLand :: VenomLand Forum :: General Venomous Snake Keeping-
Jump to: