VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience..

Go down 
+4
Peter Pastor
Randy Ciuros
Wolfgang Wüster
Mario Lutz
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience.. Empty
PostSubject: Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience..   Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience.. Icon_minitimeSat 5 Apr - 14:39

did anybody have had his hands on them already?
id their any possibility to purchase a pair anywhere in the world legally?

thanks
Mario
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomland.org
Wolfgang Wüster
Systematicus
Systematicus

Number of posts : 273
Registration date : 2008-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience..   Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience.. Icon_minitimeSun 6 Apr - 18:21

Do you mean the Australian mulga snake/king brown snake (Pseudechis australis) or the New Guinea pigmy mulga (Pseudechis rossignolii)? The latter is available from time to time, whereas I have never heard of real P. australis outside Australia.

Cheers,

WW
Back to top Go down
http://www.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male

PostSubject: Re: Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience..   Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience.. Icon_minitimeSun 6 Apr - 19:48

i meant the Pseudechis australis Wolfgang.
didnt Richard in the Netherlands had some before?

cheers
Mario
Back to top Go down
Wolfgang Wüster
Systematicus
Systematicus

PostSubject: Re: Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience..   Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience.. Icon_minitimeSun 6 Apr - 21:16

Mario Lutz wrote:
i meant the Pseudechis australis Wolfgang.
didnt Richard in the Netherlands had some before?

No, he had P. rossignolii.

Cheers,

Wolfgang
Back to top Go down
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male

PostSubject: Re: Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience..   Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience.. Icon_minitimeSun 6 Apr - 21:31

Thanks, i was`nt sure about that.

by the way, i just saw your age in your profile, 98 years old - congratulations! last time you visited me here you looked still very fresh!
you need to tell me, how you stay so good looking next time!

cheers,

Mario
Back to top Go down
Wolfgang Wüster
Systematicus
Systematicus

PostSubject: Re: Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience..   Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience.. Icon_minitimeMon 7 Apr - 2:40

Mario Lutz wrote:

by the way, i just saw your age in your profile, 98 years old - congratulations! last time you visited me here you looked still very fresh!
you need to tell me, how you stay so good looking next time!

I just feel 98 - it's the UK climate, and working for this University Wink
Back to top Go down
Randy Ciuros
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Randy Ciuros

Male
Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-03-18

PostSubject: P. rossignolii   Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience.. Icon_minitimeMon 7 Apr - 3:57

I have 2.1 rossignolli. WW was in on the discussion of which was which on another forum. You might have read it Mario. That's where you and I first talked.

Anyway, I put my female in with my larger male after I saw no action from the smaller male. The larger male was all over her, but I never saw them tied up. I took some video of him trying to breed with her, but it's very low quality. You can tell whats going on, but it's blurry. Taken with a cheap digital camera.

My female shed on 3/29 and is looking like she is gravid but she's not real fat. Hopefully I will see good eggs in a couple days.

Randy
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomstreet.com
Randy Ciuros
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Randy Ciuros

Male

PostSubject: King Brown Pictures   Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience.. Icon_minitimeSat 12 Apr - 4:46

Here are some recent pics of my biggest male. He is 55" long.

Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience.. V030_002a

Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience.. V030_005a

Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience.. V030_011a
Back to top Go down
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male

PostSubject: Re: Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience..   Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience.. Icon_minitimeSat 12 Apr - 9:55

Hi Randy, thats what i am talking about! see - this beauty? well, i certainly hope - you will have breeding success with them... if so, i am interested in a couple or two..

cheers
Mario
Back to top Go down
Randy Ciuros
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Randy Ciuros

Male

PostSubject: Re: Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience..   Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience.. Icon_minitimeSat 12 Apr - 15:03

Not sure if my female is gravid or not. She looks fatter, but I'll just have to see.
Back to top Go down
Peter Pastor
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Peter Pastor

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2008-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience..   Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience.. Icon_minitimeMon 22 Sep - 22:38

Hello,

after a while here is next add into this thread. It looks we will get some king browns soon in trade for some of our snakes. Here are pictures of male we should get. As I never saw king brown on my own eyes, would appreciate if those of you who know it, could confirm me if it`s this species or not... I want to be sure what we are really going to get, especially due above listed posts from WW, that real Pseudechis australis are probably rare in the hobby...

Thanks for help in advance...

Best regards,
Peter P.

PS: Not the best pictures (made by owner of the snake), but hope they will work anyway...

Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience.. Cats_110

Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience.. Cats_111

Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience.. Cats_112
Back to top Go down
Randy Ciuros
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Randy Ciuros

Male

PostSubject: Re: Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience..   Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience.. Icon_minitimeTue 23 Sep - 1:17

Hey Peter,

That one looks very similar to mine, especially my smaller male, though my smaller male looks slightly different than the other male and female.

My biggest male, the one pictured above was 54 1/2" long (1.384m). I measured him with a snake measuring program before and it said he was 55". I just now measured him using a restraining tube and a tape measure, so he may actually be 55" or slightly more when completely straightened out.
His scale counts are as follows:
Mid-body Scales - 17
Ventrals - 194
Subcaudals - 57 (All single)
Anal Plate - Divided
All head scales as in the book Dangerous Snakes of Australia by Mirtschin/Davis.

My smaller male was 47.5” (1.206m) today, measured with restraining tube and tape measure, so he is actually slightly longer when completely straightened out. This male looks slightly different than the first male and my female.
His scale counts are as follows:
Mid-body Scales - 17
Ventrals - 189
Subcaudals - 60 (All single)
Anal Plate - divided
Have not checked head scales. His head shed is always torn apart for some reason.

My female measured 47” (1.193m) today with restraining tube and tape measure.
Her scale counts are as follows:
Mid-Body - 17
Ventrals - 196
Subcaudals - 49 (All single)
Anal Plate Divided
All head scales as in Mirtschin/Davis book.

The biggest male, though he is a little fat, has a much more heavy build than the smaller male, and his scales and their coloring looks different. The female is more slender built than both of the males, and her scales look more like the bigger males scales, including coloration.

Hope this helps

Randy
Back to top Go down
Randy Ciuros
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Randy Ciuros

Male

PostSubject: Re: Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience..   Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience.. Icon_minitimeWed 8 Oct - 5:22

Well, I decided to put my female in with my biggest male today, and in less than 1 hour, they were tied up. This is the time of year that my E. Browns bred a few years back, and they were not cooled or anything either. I re-read Richard Mastenbroek's page about his King Browns breeding at different times of year, and decided to just stick mine together and see what happens. Hopefully she will lay some eggs, and not just a few. They've been breeding for almost an hour now. I'll keep you posted

Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience.. KingBrowns004

Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience.. KingBrowns006
Back to top Go down
Peter Pastor
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Peter Pastor

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2008-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience..   Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience.. Icon_minitimeWed 8 Oct - 6:28

Nice Randy, cogratulation! It looks very promissing, I am keeping my fingers crossed for you. I am picking up our animals this weekend, so next week I will have some update as well...

Cheers,
Peter P.
Back to top Go down
Randy Ciuros
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Randy Ciuros

Male

PostSubject: Re: Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience..   Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience.. Icon_minitimeWed 8 Oct - 6:34

Thanks Peter

Yeah keep me posted. I love these guys. I'm feeling pretty good about this breeding now. I just checked agin and they are still breeding. It's been over 90 minutes. Sure would be nice to get 10 or 12 good eggs.

RC
Back to top Go down
Randy Ciuros
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Randy Ciuros

Male

PostSubject: Re: Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience..   Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience.. Icon_minitimeThu 9 Oct - 6:31

Well, they were breeding for just over 8 hours. I'm pretty sure the length of time they are tied up has nothing to do with how many eggs with be laid, but it seems more encouraging for some reason. I bred dogs for 16 years, and length of tie means nothing with them after the first 7 - 10 minutes.

I'll keep you posted.

RC
Back to top Go down
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male

PostSubject: Re: Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience..   Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience.. Icon_minitimeThu 9 Oct - 10:21

congratulations Randy! i really hope all is working out. should be not that much breeding Kingbrowns outside of australia right now.

cheers
Mario
Back to top Go down
Stan Butler

Male
Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience..   Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience.. Icon_minitimeTue 3 Mar - 7:55

I was talking to a guy from the UK at the snakeday last year that had a pair of browns behide his table (well they had a lable saying Pseudechis australis ) He said he wasn't 100% sure if they were P australis or P rossignolii.
I can't remember who he is though so not sure if he ever found out what they were.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience..   Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience.. Icon_minitimeWed 4 Mar - 3:10

i know who you are speaking of, they are australis.

beasts as well from what i understand.
Back to top Go down
Hans-Jürgen Vogeley
Hans-Jürgen Vogeley

Male
Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience..   Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience.. Icon_minitimeWed 4 Mar - 3:43

I know the German guy , who sold them at the Snakday.
He came a few times around , at my table with them.
And yes they are P.rossignolii.
And the english guy at my left side bought them and took them home.
Back to top Go down
Stan Butler

Male
Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience..   Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience.. Icon_minitimeWed 4 Mar - 6:13

Ah so they are one or the other then Laughing
They did look a bit nasty which ever ones they are
Back to top Go down
Wolfgang Wüster
Systematicus
Systematicus

PostSubject: Re: Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience..   Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience.. Icon_minitimeWed 4 Mar - 19:38

There is every chance that they will be rossignolii, not australis - Australia does not allow commercial exports of wildlife, so the chances of seeing real P. australis in Europe are slim - and they are too big and not pretty enough (to most people) to warrant much smuggling, unlike Collett's snakes. P. rossignolii get exported from Indonesian New Guinea by Indonesian dealers, like everything else alive.

Cheers,

WW
Back to top Go down
David Nixon
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
David Nixon

Male
Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience..   Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience.. Icon_minitimeWed 4 Mar - 21:33

The guy from the UK only had P. rossignolii, this speacies seems to be fairly common these days in the UK, I know of at least 5 people who keep them.

The only Australian species I have seen in the UK are:

Pseudonaja textilis (private keeper)

Oxyuranus microlepidotus (private keeper)

Various death adders

Pseudechis porphyriacus (previously owned by private keeper)

A very sorry looking Micropechis ikaheka, on a table in Houten.
Back to top Go down
http://www.midlandsreptiles.com
Wolfgang Wüster
Systematicus
Systematicus

PostSubject: Re: Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience..   Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience.. Icon_minitimeThu 5 Mar - 5:15

The textilis would have been from New Guinea, and most death adders in Europe are New Guinea, including many claimed to be Australian.

Micropechis ikaheka is also New Guinean, not Australian. They generally don't keep all that well in captivity, even in New Guinea.
Back to top Go down
David Nixon
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
David Nixon

Male
Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience..   Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience.. Icon_minitimeThu 5 Mar - 5:21

Thanks Wolfgang

Yep, I knew the Micropechis ikaheka is from PNG, was very suprised to see one available though.

Dave
Back to top Go down
http://www.midlandsreptiles.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience..   Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience.. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kingbrown snakes? anyone has experience..
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next