VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with....

Go down 
+15
Christoph Rothenbühler
Guenter Leitenbauer
Rob Deans
Sami Heikkinen
Brance Mauldin
Anze Gratzer
Derek Morgan
Ari Finsk
Matthew Webb
Dirk Ebling
René Meierkord
Michael Bollhorn
Tom Charlton
Brian Petrie
Jörg Porstmann
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jörg Porstmann
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 243
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... Empty
PostSubject: Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with....   Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... Icon_minitimeSun 5 Jul - 5:26

First of all Parias mcgregori is one of the rarest captive breeds in the venomous snake history....
I´ll keep this species (thanks to my friend Mario!!!) since a couple of years, but I never had any real success with them.
But this year my Ducky (my male) did a real good job. I didn´t see them mating but after a while she looked like ...
Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... 001

Then the female started to watch out for the best place to breed. That means she was strolling around and test the several places that I offered her.
Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... 002

She got her eggs in the night of the 30th of may to first of june
Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... 003
Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... 004
Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... 005

Then it started a very boring and patience testing period of 64 days!!! To made sure that she has enough power to solve her challenge, I feed her at the half period.
Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... 006
Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... 007

Today the 4th of July the breeding adventure comes to a successfull end. And my female looks like she wants to beat the shit out of me, if I´m trying to come too near.
Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... 1
Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... 2
Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... 3
Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... 4
Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... 5

......Can I say Daddy to you......?
Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... 6
Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... 7
Back to top Go down
http://www.pit-viper.de
Brian Petrie
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with....   Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... Icon_minitimeSun 5 Jul - 6:43

Hi Jorg,
What a fantastic set of pictures of a fantastic snake species. Thanks for sharing.
Does the female protect the eggs in the wild?
Cheers,
Brian.
Back to top Go down
Tom Charlton
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with....   Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... Icon_minitimeSun 5 Jul - 6:48

That is absolutely awesome, thank you for sharing the pictures Jorg! And congratulations.
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomlogic.com
Michael Bollhorn
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Michael Bollhorn

Male
Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2008-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with....   Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... Icon_minitimeSun 5 Jul - 7:25

Congrats and my best wishes!!!

Regards, Michael
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.103887216345740.6060.10
René Meierkord
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2009-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with....   Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... Icon_minitimeSun 5 Jul - 10:30

Fantastic!!!
Back to top Go down
Jörg Porstmann
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with....   Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... Icon_minitimeSun 5 Jul - 15:49

@Brian -
1) She did an active breeding. Not like Chondros do, but she cover the eggs more or less and she drank the water of the surface of the eggs. And how important her job was, you see in case of the egg that was sidewards of the clutch (Pic No. 5). This egg died after some days even it got the same treatment by me (temp, spraying....).
2) If you mean if the girl defends her clutch. Yes, if you and your clutch has to stay 64 days (in my case) on the same place, you will defend this place even in the wild.

A very funny fact is that the pics of laying the eggs were the hardest to take, because of the male was very aggressiv in this time.
I don´t know if he knows that his girl is helpless at the moment?
Back to top Go down
Dirk Ebling
Dirk Ebling

Male
Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with....   Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... Icon_minitimeSun 5 Jul - 17:46

Hi Jörg,

Verry nice!! Congratulations, you and your pair of theses awaysome snakes did an good Job!
Now i wish you the same luck with growing them up!

Greatings Dirk
Back to top Go down
Jörg Porstmann
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with....   Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... Icon_minitimeSun 5 Jul - 19:10

That will be the next challenge - growing them up.
Back to top Go down
Matthew Webb

Male
Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with....   Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... Icon_minitimeSun 5 Jul - 21:47

Beautiful Jorg, fantastic news, have fun with the littel ones! And keep us updated with their progress......
Back to top Go down
Ari Finsk
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male
Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2009-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with....   Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... Icon_minitimeSun 5 Jul - 22:16

Concrats Jörg and hope that everything goes well with the new youngsters.
Back to top Go down
Derek Morgan
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Derek Morgan

Male
Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with....   Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... Icon_minitimeSun 5 Jul - 23:45

Gorgeous! Congratulations on the successful breeding and birthing this year Jorg! I hope this is just the beginning of many good things for you with this species! You should be very proud.
Back to top Go down
http://www.arborealvipers.com
Anze Gratzer
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Anze Gratzer

Male
Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with....   Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... Icon_minitimeMon 6 Jul - 4:11

That is great! Like Derek said - you should be proud! And turn a new chapter breeding this snakes in captivity. And I wish you good luck - with youngsters and in general with this species!

Cheers!
Anze
Back to top Go down
http://fila-brasileiro.webs.com
Brance Mauldin
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Brance Mauldin

Male
Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2008-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with....   Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... Icon_minitimeMon 6 Jul - 8:27

First off, congrats on breeding this species. That's a hell of an accomplishment and you should be extremely proud. Secondly, you just made me probably the most jealous person in the world!

Best wishes raising them. I can't wait to see how they change colors as they get older.
Back to top Go down
Sami Heikkinen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Sami Heikkinen

Male
Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with....   Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... Icon_minitimeMon 6 Jul - 14:40

Wow! Congras indeed!
How many babies did the female produced? Any white one's on the clutch Very Happy

Cheers
Back to top Go down
http://nothingtosayphoto.blogspot.com/
Jörg Porstmann
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with....   Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... Icon_minitimeMon 6 Jul - 16:17

At the moment 7 little ones. (She is still sitting on the eggs)
And the colors are at the moment yellow and yellow tigers. But I don´t know how the males could look like while growing up.
Back to top Go down
Rob Deans
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Rob Deans

Male
Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2008-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with....   Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... Icon_minitimeMon 6 Jul - 20:29

That is very special, congratulations Jorg. Best of luck with the babies.
Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male
Number of posts : 1389
Registration date : 2008-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with....   Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... Icon_minitimeTue 7 Jul - 1:38

First of all: My congratulations, Jörg!

May I ask some questions? Is it more safe (in terms of breeding success) to let her breed or to remove the eggs to an incubator?
And what after the babies came out - did You separate them or will they stay with the parents?
Did the babies already shed? And when will they be offered their first meal? Pinky parts?

Many questions from a dummy, I know ...

BTW: Great photographs!
Back to top Go down
http://www.leitenbauer.net
Jörg Porstmann
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with....   Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... Icon_minitimeTue 7 Jul - 16:26

@ Guenter -->
1) I trusted Marios experience that said that using an incubator does not work. Maybe the eggs need the day/night temps and a dryer period during the day like in nature.
And as you see in case of the seperate egg of the clutch, the mother did her work too. (This egg died)
2) Yes I seperate them, but they stay the first day in the cage of the parents. I don´t want to disturb baby no. 2-7 comming out of the eggs, while catching no. 1. And as you see nice photos were possible.
3) They shet directly.
4) I´ll try to feed them in some days with directly new born pinkies (these pinkies look darker than normal pinkies that are some hours old and a funny facts the work better - maybe they smell better *g*) If this does not work, they will get Lepidodactylus lugubris (The german trivial name is Jungferngeckos)
Back to top Go down
Christoph Rothenbühler
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with....   Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... Icon_minitimeTue 7 Jul - 16:47

Congrats Jörg!
And good luck with feeding the young guys!

Eat all your animals of the last flavo-litter?

chris

Last edited by Christoph Rothenbühler on Tue 7 Jul - 18:34; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptiles.c-ro.ch
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with....   Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... Icon_minitimeTue 7 Jul - 17:25

Thanks Jörg.
As my L. zonatas don't eat pinkies for about 5 weeks now (after feeding well for about 6 month), I'd be interested where You get those Geckos ...
Back to top Go down
Jörg Porstmann
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with....   Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... Icon_minitimeTue 7 Jul - 19:44

Geckos - you have to talk to an import company and they should give you the smallest of for example hemidactylus frenatus or something else. Babies of this geckos has the correct size and are extremly cheap.
I don´t know to whom you can talk to in austria.
Back to top Go down
Harold van der Ploeg
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Harold van der Ploeg

Male
Number of posts : 282
Registration date : 2008-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with....   Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... Icon_minitimeTue 7 Jul - 19:57

Congratulations with these beauties!
Well done.

Cheers,
Harold
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomenal.com
Rainer Fesser
Systematicus
Systematicus

Male
Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2008-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with....   Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... Icon_minitimeTue 7 Jul - 20:39

Hello Günter,
as your L. zonata have eaten mice for 6 months you probably won´t have to offer them any Geckos. 5 weeks are not too long for snakes in good condition.
I suppose there are other reasons why they don´t eat any longer. Ask Peter Zürcher whether his L. zon. stop eating for a while in summer. My L. pyromelana usually did so like many other species of snakes do. In this case you just have to offer them mice from time to time and they´ll start to eat again when they will have finished their break.

Rainer
Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with....   Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... Icon_minitimeWed 8 Jul - 2:22

Yep, I am not in any sorrow and Peter told me, his L.z. reflect the same behaviour from time to time. I just thought about Geckos when I read this because Geckos seem to be more the "natural" prey for this species than mice.
Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with....   Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... Icon_minitimeThu 9 Jul - 0:55

Update:
I bought some pinkies today (frozen). This time I got much smaller ones. I am ordering "the smallest pinkies" all the time and sometimes they are smaller, sometimes larger.
OK, I warmed two, put it into the terrarium and when I came back 10 minutes later, they were both gone - even the female took it from herself.
Maybe my problems feeding them just arose from the too large pinkies ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with....   Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Born on the 4th of July or a good day starts with....
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next