VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Atheris Hispida

Go down 
+19
Robert Kane
Michael Jonasson
Fabian Dirks
Chris Jones
Michele Angelo Furiani
Thomas Christ
Bob Herrington
Rene Schenk
Sebastian Rosberg
Christoph Rothenbühler
Archie Bottoms
Peter Schulze Niehoff
René Meierkord
BradMiller
Ralph Tümmers
Derek Morgan
Stefan Thomson
Sami Heikkinen
Radek Benda
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Radek Benda
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Radek Benda

Male
Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-08-28

Atheris Hispida Empty
PostSubject: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida Icon_minitimeThu 3 Sep - 1:39

Hi,
Does anyone here Atheris hispidus? I wonder about farming, whether someone managed to reproduce. And possible problems ..
Thanks for all possible informationas about this species...
Some information is in World of Atheris,but I would prefer someone who has experience with them.
Thanks,
Radek. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sami Heikkinen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Sami Heikkinen

Male
Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Atheris Hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida Icon_minitimeFri 4 Sep - 15:05

No personal experience, but what ive heard and read they are quite difficult snakes to keep. Perhaps the reasons are wrong temps. and poor diet (mice isn't perhaps the best option for food to these guys).

There is an article about A. hispida at Elaphe 11 (2003) p. 38-42 writer is Jurgen Fleck
Back to top Go down
http://nothingtosayphoto.blogspot.com/
Stefan Thomson
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Stefan Thomson

Male
Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-08-25

Atheris Hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida Icon_minitimeFri 4 Sep - 17:24

No personal experience here either but have seen some and they are spectacular, maybe best looking snakes i´ve seen and if they weren´t that difficult i would have got some Smile If my memory serves correct those haven´t been bred in captivity or then only few times. As Sami pointed out of temps and stuff, i´ve also read that a big problem would be the parasites on wild caught specimen and poor shipping conditions as they aren´t that hardy snakes. Any one have more info or correct those statements? A guy from Finland has had a female for, maybe 3years or over now, and still doing fine. But apart from that, i´ve read that they usually die within the first year on captivity.

Would love to learn more as i would love to have that species someday, so if anyone has more info please share it with the rest of us Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.exotic-animals.tk
Radek Benda
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Radek Benda

Male

Atheris Hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida Icon_minitimeFri 4 Sep - 18:02

Thanks Sami and Stefan for their contributions. I also read and heard about the imports are in very poor condition. Also their dietary specialization on slugs, snails and gecko rather than rodents. But to the maintenance of the alleged problem is not alive, unlike the mountain species Atheris. If he succeeded in getting healthy pair, might not be unrealistic .. I also would very much like this kind of kept, but for now I dare not even to A.Nitschei . .. Also I will be glad to further contributions, so I take this topic founded.
Back to top Go down
Derek Morgan
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Derek Morgan

Male
Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Atheris Hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida Icon_minitimeWed 16 Sep - 11:28

Hispida is a tough species to work with and I haven't tried my hand at them yet. Even the ones that apparently acclimate after being imported still do not typically make it a full year in captivity. Yes, most of the ones I have seen that are fresh imports are either covered with fluke worms, have eye infections, or have severe respiratory issues and are in very poor condition. I think the proper way to work with this species is to go collect them yourself and bring them home under your supervision. I'll volunteer to do all of the travelling, hiking, collecting, and importation if someone else will volunteer to pay for everything! Wink

Also, it is highly debated whether these guys are actually specialized slug eaters or not. Many have seen them eat night crawlers or large worms. Others have had a decent go at them by feeding rodents.
Back to top Go down
http://www.arborealvipers.com
Radek Benda
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Radek Benda

Male

Atheris Hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida Icon_minitimeTue 29 Sep - 22:35

Thank you Derek,for informations, about this species. In this time is impossible keepenig this species for me.. Maybe in next years.. scratch
Back to top Go down
Ralph Tümmers
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Ralph Tümmers

Male
Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2008-04-26

Atheris Hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida Icon_minitimeSun 22 Nov - 5:22

Hello Guys,
today i get a pair of the hispida,they are now in captivity for some months .
They are drinking self ,eating several times worms without any problem Smile
The animals are in good condition and makeing really fine.
Next time i try to get some sharp pictures for you ...
Wish you a great day,
Ralph
Back to top Go down
http://www.viperworld.de
BradMiller
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
BradMiller

Male
Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2009-05-09

Atheris Hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida Icon_minitimeMon 23 Nov - 4:02

Pics would be great - what worms are they eating?

Did you import them or by any chance were they CB?

Brad
Back to top Go down
René Meierkord
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2009-06-28

Atheris Hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida Icon_minitimeMon 23 Nov - 4:25

HI!

In germany, they´re called "Tauwürmer" - look here!
Back to top Go down
BradMiller
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
BradMiller

Male

Atheris Hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida Icon_minitimeMon 23 Nov - 15:23

Cool does anyone know why they sell Lumbricus rubellus, will Eisenia fetida and Eisenia andrei also work as food for A. Hispida.

Ralph, it would be nice to see some feeding pics....

Last edited by BradMiller on Mon 23 Nov - 16:32; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Peter Schulze Niehoff
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Peter Schulze Niehoff

Male
Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Atheris Hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida Icon_minitimeMon 23 Nov - 16:11

Sami Heikkinen wrote:
There is an article about A. hispida at Elaphe 11 (2003) p. 38-42 writer is Jurgen Fleck

Hi all,

the article Sami is talking about is Fleck, J. 2003. Bemerkungen zur Haltung und Fütterung von Atheris hispida LAURENT 1995. Elaphe 11 (2): 38-42 (-> Remarks on captive care and feeding of Atheris hispida).
I do not remember any details, but Jürgen Fleck talked about this interesting topic at the annual meeting of the DGHTs working goup "AG-Schlangen" several years ago.

Another article, describing captive care and breeding of Atheris hipida was published by Robert Meidinger:

Meidinger, R. 2000. Erfolgreiche Haltung und Erstnachzucht von Atheris hispidus, der Rauhschuppigen Buschviper. Elaphe 8 (4): 5-10

Unfortunatly for at least most of the participants here both are in German - but if anyone would be interested anyway I might get you a copy.

Regards

Peter

Mail: info@sensational-herps.com
Back to top Go down
Ralph Tümmers
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Ralph Tümmers

Male

Atheris Hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida Icon_minitimeMon 23 Nov - 20:56

Hello Brad,
next time i feed them ,i will make some pics for you Wink
Best regards,
Ralph
Back to top Go down
BradMiller
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
BradMiller

Male

Atheris Hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida Icon_minitimeMon 23 Nov - 21:04

That will be awesome!
Back to top Go down
René Meierkord
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

Atheris Hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida Icon_minitimeMon 23 Nov - 22:20

Hi Brad!

Yup, Eisenia also work...
Jürgen Fleck didnt name the scientific art of worms.

Snails seams not to work - a friend of FLECK lost all his snakes because feeding snails.

Regards,
Rene
Back to top Go down
BradMiller
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
BradMiller

Male

Atheris Hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida Icon_minitimeTue 24 Nov - 3:58

Hi Rene

Thats great - I have plenty of those available here in RSA, got a small worm farm going already.

How did they find out that A.Hispida ate worms, very unlikely prey item for a venomous snake.
I have spoken to a chap here and he has had a few specimens for a while - not if it is true as I have not seen them for myself nor have I seen any pics.

What else do they eat? Surly small lizards at least?
I have also heard people say they have eaten pinks.
I would really love to get a few of these to study.

René do keep them as well?

Regards
Brad
Back to top Go down
René Meierkord
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

Atheris Hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida Icon_minitimeTue 24 Nov - 4:34

HI!

I dont keep them at this time - earlier I had a couple WC´s.

The eat mice, but that seams not to be good. They lost a lot of liquid while digestion.
Lots of specimen died after feeding mice.
But in older literature you read often that they eat mice...

I dont know if they take lizards but i think its highly possible that frogs were taken.

Regards,
Rene

P.S.: hope my english is not to bad... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Ralph Tümmers
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Ralph Tümmers

Male

Atheris Hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida Icon_minitimeTue 24 Nov - 4:45

Hy guys ,
i think they will eat mice (but get´s fast dehydratet),small geckos and worms.
I didn´t know any other species,that shuffeling her food so fast (my atheris clorechis also does).
I feed my clorechis naturally with mice ,but NOT hairy and they are shuffeling like hell,the mice is living and already in his/her stomach.
hispida´s are sucking and swallowing her meal , so the theory that they normally are eating worms is not so improbable.
My atheris all are drinking themself ,without spraying directly ...and i didn´t do it...and they are shedding all very well.
Best regards,
Ralph
Back to top Go down
Sami Heikkinen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Sami Heikkinen

Male
Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Atheris Hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida Icon_minitimeTue 24 Nov - 15:00

BTW. Have you guys ever try earthworms to A. squamigera?
I have fed my snakes couple of times just to see if they accept that kind of food and yes they did. They ate the worms like super fast it was really funny withness that..

@Ralph, I have also read that feeding mice with no fur is probably better for Atheris.. especially for A. nitschei.
Back to top Go down
http://nothingtosayphoto.blogspot.com/
Archie Bottoms
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2009-11-25

Atheris Hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida Icon_minitimeThu 26 Nov - 8:42

I have a theory That might hold some water.They live in reed beds where leaches abound.I would bet my bottom dollar that they eat terrestrial leaches in the wild and is there primary food source not snails and slugs tho they work.Any one have any thoughts on that.
Back to top Go down
BradMiller
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
BradMiller

Male

Atheris Hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida Icon_minitimeThu 26 Nov - 16:52

Archie - interesting concept - you can get medically safe leeches these days so anyone out there willing to try?
Back to top Go down
Peter Schulze Niehoff
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Peter Schulze Niehoff

Male
Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Atheris Hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida Icon_minitimeThu 26 Nov - 17:11

Leeches in fact are an interesting idea. And gutloading in this case may be beneficial for the keeper as well Very Happy
Back to top Go down
BradMiller
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
BradMiller

Male

Atheris Hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida Icon_minitimeFri 4 Dec - 1:27

Ralph Tümmers - what happened to the pictures???
Back to top Go down
Ralph Tümmers
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Ralph Tümmers

Male

Atheris Hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida Icon_minitimeFri 4 Dec - 5:55

Hy i´m sorry ,not much time at the moment Smile
I take a look yesterday and he/she is in shed...so stay cool and pictures follow...
Greets Ralph
Back to top Go down
BradMiller
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
BradMiller

Male

Atheris Hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida Icon_minitimeFri 4 Dec - 22:58

Smile Ok...
Back to top Go down
Ralph Tümmers
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Ralph Tümmers

Male

Atheris Hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida Icon_minitimeWed 16 Dec - 14:17

Hello guys,
like promised a picture from my hispida after shed...
Atheris Hispida 0_1_hi10
Hope you like it Wink
Greets Ralph
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Atheris Hispida Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris Hispida   Atheris Hispida Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Atheris Hispida
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next