VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite.

Go down 
+7
Rainer Fesser
Brian Petrie
Sami Heikkinen
Alexander Jackson
Graeme Skinner
Max Carlsson
BradMiller
11 posters
AuthorMessage
BradMiller
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
BradMiller

Male
Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2009-05-09

Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite. Empty
PostSubject: Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite.   Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite. Icon_minitimeSat 31 Oct - 0:30

I hoped the day would never come... but as they say - you are either in 1 of 2 groups..... so now... I have been bitten.

Although I have had almost 20 years experience keeping snakes (of which 10 of these are keeping venomous) I had never been tagged by a hot, yet I knew in the back of my mind it will happen one day.
I am not gonna say don't keep hots, and only do this or that, but rather know what affect your hobby/passion/profession has on those you care about.

Owning any hot is a huge risk not only to your own health but a risk to the people you love. The people you care about (some of you will agree) they do not really want you to be so intimate with something potentially deadly. In one split second you are happy and loving life then they are in a mad panic, worried that their life may be turned upside down as a result of an incident with your slithery friends.

Complacency is a b1tch, and it hurts!

So here is my VERY LUCKY story!!!!

Sunday 24 October late at night, doing chores for my scaly friends when it came time to examine my Eyelash Viper (who has been very unhappy and not eating for a while).
After pining and examining the mouth for signs of mucus and infection (which was clear) I decide to quickly check his lung if that was clear too.
STUPID me I thought I could just quickly check while I had him firmly gripped (instead of tubing him), this combo he really did not like and as quick as a flash he twisted in my grip with such force I thought I was going to break some bones and promptly jabbed one fang neatly under the nail of my middle finger - boiling water injected directly into your flesh! that's what it felt like! Instant pain!

I made sure the snake was back in a safe holding tank and informed my other half which did not go down well (note - when you do work with your hots make sure you are not alone!)
I packed a few things. Pressure bandaged my finger hand and arm and went to Milpark hospital.

30-45 mins after bite - The pain was now moving up my arm and there was massive intervals of throbbing every 5-8 mins in my finger and hand.

Here are some pics...

The bite site
Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite. DSC_0003

Swelling in the finger tip
Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite. DSC_0006

My whole hand - note the lack of swelling ontop of my hand
At this point my armpits were also tender
Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite. DSC_0008

The next Day -Red Swollen and sore!
Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite. DSC_0017

I could not not make a fist and the throbbing was intense with the occasional burning sensation at the bite area
Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite. DSC_0018

Thought this may be of interest to someone - my blood test results
Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite. Image001
Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite. Image002

Well 5 days later the swelling has gone down completely, I still can not use my middle finger for anything - its also has very little touch sensation, almost dead feeling on the tip but if I bump it OMG it hurts.
Total fluids count on first 2 days - 10 litres of water and 6 energades
Countless tips to the bathroom!

That's my lesson learnt, and unfortunately a horrible event for my other half to which I will be reminded of in the future when I want to add anything to my collection.
All in all I had a very minor bite and I was very lucky!

Here is the little gem - beautiful but a world of pain if you mess with the pointy end!
Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite. DSC_0377
Back to top Go down
Max Carlsson
Max Carlsson

Male
Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite.   Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite. Icon_minitimeSat 31 Oct - 1:20

Gosh.
That can not have been very plesant, neither for you or your other half.
Lucky you made it anyhow. Smile It could have gone worse too I guess.
//Max
Back to top Go down
Graeme Skinner
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Graeme Skinner

Male
Number of posts : 466
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite.   Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite. Icon_minitimeSat 31 Oct - 4:16

Brad,

Glad you are ok (well mostly).

Can you give us a little more info on the treatments given and perhaps the age and size of the offending snake, which is a beauty.

We all need to keep safe and thanks for posting your story.

Graeme
Back to top Go down
Alexander Jackson
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Alexander Jackson

Male
Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite.   Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite. Icon_minitimeSat 31 Oct - 5:12

Hello Brad,

I`m happy for you becose was`t more BAD! As Graeme say will be helpfull if you can give info about treatments from hospital and after .

All the best,
Alexander
Back to top Go down
Sami Heikkinen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Sami Heikkinen

Male
Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite.   Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite. Icon_minitimeSat 31 Oct - 15:23

Thanks from sharing this info.
There isn't much hobbyist reports of schlegelii bites, or at least I haven't run in to many, and these sure are good for the people who are interested to start working with venomous snakes..
Some books also recommend to start with schlegelii because it's small, usually calm and not perhaps have potential venom to kill you (which isn't true imo).

EDIT:
BTW really nice looking snake you have there. Don't let it use the teeths to your finger again Very Happy

Cheers
Sami
Back to top Go down
http://nothingtosayphoto.blogspot.com/
Brian Petrie
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite.   Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite. Icon_minitimeSat 31 Oct - 15:32

Hi Brad,
Glad everything turned out O.K., and you are on the road to recovery. I don`t think it is a good idea to put a pressure bandage on a snakebite that could potentially cause severe local swelling, I don`t know what others think?
All the best,
Brian.
Back to top Go down
Rainer Fesser
Systematicus
Systematicus

Male
Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2008-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite.   Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite. Icon_minitimeSat 31 Oct - 16:16

Hello Brad,

you are right, our friends can teach us lessons - the hard way. Thank you for sharing this with us, giving us the opportunity to learn this lesson too - not the hard way but showing us that we always have to be aware of things like this.

Like Graeme I would be interested in some details of the treatment you got.

I´m glad you made it without major problems.

Good luck and I wish you fast and total recovery,
Rainer
Back to top Go down
BradMiller
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
BradMiller

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite.   Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite. Icon_minitimeSat 31 Oct - 16:44

Thanks everyone for the well wishes!

Brian - A pressure bandage is the only real thing you can use help help slow the venom spread, It is normal practice as far as I know - a tourniquet is a no no.

As far as the treatment is concerned I had a tetanus shot and a ringer lactate drip, to help my kidneys and plenty of fluids to help flush out the venom. You also have to make yourself pee as often as possible.

I Had quite a few pain killers (non aspirin type!)

There is antivenin but it will only be used in the most serious of cases. Non available here is RSA though!

The snake is a mature adult male and about 60cm long.
Back to top Go down
Graeme Skinner
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Graeme Skinner

Male
Number of posts : 466
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite.   Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite. Icon_minitimeSat 31 Oct - 20:53

BradMiller wrote:
Thanks everyone for the well wishes!

Brian - A pressure bandage is the only real thing you can use help help slow the venom spread, It is normal practice as far as I know - a tourniquet is a no no.

As far as the treatment is concerned I had a tetanus shot and a ringer lactate drip, to help my kidneys and plenty of fluids to help flush out the venom. You also have to make yourself pee as often as possible.

I Had quite a few pain killers (non aspirin type!)

There is antivenin but it will only be used in the most serious of cases. Non available here is RSA though!

The snake is a mature adult male and about 60cm long.

Brad,

Thanks for the update. Keep us informed of any post bite changes and improvements in the finger

graeme
Back to top Go down
Brian Petrie
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite.   Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite. Icon_minitimeSun 1 Nov - 17:04

Hi Brad,
Thanks for an interesting thread. I think it is generally accepted that the pressure/immobilisation technique is only used on bites that cause mainly neurotoxic symptoms, bites causing severe local swelling should only be immobilised in a splint to restrict movement of the bitten limb. Anyhow, the main thing is, it turned out all right. Thanks for the update.
All the best,
Brian.
Back to top Go down
Janusz Bednarski
Janusz Bednarski

Male
Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite.   Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite. Icon_minitimeSun 1 Nov - 23:52

Thanks for sharing, you was very lucky Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite.   Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite. Icon_minitimeMon 2 Nov - 1:47

Glad the damage was minor and hope everything turns out ok.
Back to top Go down
Stefan Anthonijsz
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Stefan Anthonijsz

Male
Number of posts : 556
Registration date : 2009-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite.   Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite. Icon_minitimeMon 2 Nov - 6:48

Also I am glad that it turned out pretty ok for you. Could have been a lot worse! Good luck with the recovery!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite.   Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite. Icon_minitimeMon 9 Nov - 15:49

How are you doing? Any long term damage?
Back to top Go down
Thorsten Drewes

Thorsten Drewes

Male
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite.   Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite. Icon_minitimeSat 14 Nov - 3:31

hi brad,
i feel with you. after 15 years of experiences with venomous snakes, i almost lost my left middle finger because of a bite of trimeresurus stejnegri.
like you, it was my mistake as well. (F****** hurry. sorry)
At last, they cut out my first finger joint and put a part of my stomach-skin on the wound. i lost my upper fibre as well.
mysteriously, the snake died some day later, and the guys in the hospital had a lot of fun.
best for you,
thorsten
Back to top Go down
BradMiller
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
BradMiller

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite.   Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite. Icon_minitimeSat 14 Nov - 22:29

Hello everyone

My finger is allot better - no long term damage, however the bite site is still a bit tender and numb. I am sure it will come right. All the skin is now peeling off as a result of the swelling (like the effects a really bad sunburn) the new skin is very sensitive as many layers have come off. My finger is now almost back to normal size.

@ Thorsten my god that sounds hectic - was this a feeding bite?
Not to be sick or anything but do you have pics?
What treatment did you have?
How is your finger now?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite.   Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite. Icon_minitimeSun 15 Nov - 11:51

Great to hear. Best of luck in the future!
Back to top Go down
Rene Schenk
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Rene Schenk

Male
Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite.   Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite. Icon_minitimeSun 13 Dec - 16:53

Hi Brad,
a couple years ago i got a bite from a female schlegelii (aduld) too. One tooth in the ringfinger right hand,
with a nice dose of venom, in the early afternoon. The haemoglobin was about double one hour after bite. But i used VenomEx right after the handshake and the pain was almost immediately gone. (I know the discusion going on about this instrument since Mr. Birchmeier invented it back in the 70ies. But it helped me!)
I even drove with my bike to the hospital. The swelling was very little and i was ok, but sort of lazy and tired.
This time i worked as executive chef in a gourmet restaurant and could not take a day "off". So, in the
evening at about six i was back on duty, only 4 hours after bite. I felt like sh.. but was there.
Today (25 years later) i dont remember the pain, but i still do remember the feeling on the job.
The finger is 100% ok, and even the snake got no poisoning from this bite, she gave me a couple
of babys the year after;-) See the bite as a warning. It could have been another snake, with a worse venom.
I learned a lesson: Accidents do not happen, they are provoked.
Greetings
Rene
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite.   Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite.
Page 1 of 1