VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Best digital SLR for herp shots?

Go down 
+2
Markus Gottlieb
Matthew Webb
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Matthew Webb

Male
Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2009-04-23

Best digital SLR for herp shots? Empty
PostSubject: Best digital SLR for herp shots?   Best digital SLR for herp shots? Icon_minitimeSat 26 Dec - 3:14

Hi All,

Christmas has been kind this year and I'm about to get a Digital SLR, which do you all use or have found to be the best for herp shots? especially Macro....

Cheers Matt
Back to top Go down
Markus Gottlieb
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Markus Gottlieb

Male
Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Best digital SLR for herp shots?   Best digital SLR for herp shots? Icon_minitimeSat 26 Dec - 3:24

Hi Matt

The SLR is not the point, it's the lens, a more ore less good macro lens is the main thing in shooting macros.

To come back to the SLR, go into a shop which sells some brands (canon, nikon, olympus, sony etc) and try them out, best thing would be to take a "starter" model, it's the best thing to learn it and a good macro lens can be adjustet to de "advanced" SLR everytime.
So choose a SLR which is the best for you "in your hand", just try them out

Greetings
Markus
Back to top Go down
Jakob Lehner
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Jakob Lehner

Male
Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2008-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Best digital SLR for herp shots?   Best digital SLR for herp shots? Icon_minitimeSat 26 Dec - 20:49

Hi Matt,

I´m probably not the best person to give you some advice about SLRs because I´m just a beginner. Maybe Guenther can tell you more Wink

I think Canon and Nikon are the most common SLRs like Canon EOS 450D and so on. If you want to make macro shots I guess it´s good to start with 105mm.
(i´ve got http://www.canon-europe.com/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/EF_Lenses/Macro_Lenses/EF_100mm_f28_Macro_USM/ and I´m really happy with it)
Back to top Go down
Matthew Webb

Male

PostSubject: Re: Best digital SLR for herp shots?   Best digital SLR for herp shots? Icon_minitimeMon 28 Dec - 4:38

Thanks guy's I will have a look around and get the feel of a couple,

Cheers Matt
Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male
Number of posts : 1389
Registration date : 2008-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Best digital SLR for herp shots?   Best digital SLR for herp shots? Icon_minitimeMon 28 Dec - 16:41

It does not matter if You choose Canon or Nikon - due to low light situations other SLRs still have some problems there, Canon and Nikon may be the best choice here.

As was pointed out before, the lens is the important thing. Camera bodies will be replaced all 2-3 years, but a good lens is a thing You will have a long time.

Taking into account that, I'd say buy a "cheap" camera body like Canon 500D or 50D and a fine macro lens as Sigma 150/2.8 HSM - but Tamron, Canon, Nikon, Tokina also build excellent macro lenses.

Macro lenses have usually a slow focusing performance in comparison with standard lenses. Therefor HSM (USM) lenses - i. e. hypersonic AF - is a good choice. The point is, that the autofucus needs to be very precise for macro lenses and this reduces the focusing speed.

Another possibility could be to use a good zoom lens (70-200/2.8 ) and add some extension tubes, which are very cheap (about 50-100 EUR) to make a macro lens out of it. I still do use this setup very often.

Conclusion:
Buy cheap cameras, but never buy cheap lenses with low aperture (>= f/4). AF works always best with high apertures (<= 2.8 ). Even if You reduce the stop when taking the picture, the AF will use the open aperture and the camera will set to the selected stop value at the moment the shutter opens.
Of course the combination of a professional camera with a good lens is THE choice but sometimes the money is a strong argument against this Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.leitenbauer.net
Matthew Webb

Male

PostSubject: Re: Best digital SLR for herp shots?   Best digital SLR for herp shots? Icon_minitimeTue 29 Dec - 5:52

Thank you guenter,

That has helped alot, Money is a factor like you say so I will look into a good lense over here and hope to show you some good shots in the near future Very Happy

Cheers Matt
Back to top Go down
Jamie Osburn
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2008-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Best digital SLR for herp shots?   Best digital SLR for herp shots? Icon_minitimeTue 29 Dec - 7:12

Guenter is absolutely right. Especially about which cameras to choose. About a year ago I was in your position and I ended up going with a Sony A350 so I could choose between the old Minolta Maxxum lenses and have in-body image stabilization. It is definitely capable of taking good pics but it struggles in low light especially bad. Definitely worse than the Canons or Nikons. There just seems to be much more noise in low light pictures, which makes it really bad because I'm not a fan of using my flash too much either! Not saying it's all bad but it does get a little frustrating at times. -Jamie
Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Best digital SLR for herp shots?   Best digital SLR for herp shots? Icon_minitimeTue 29 Dec - 14:44

Though especially the Sonys are getting better and better at low light recently. But still some way to go I think.

A word to the flashes:
I use 2 flashes if possible. The master on the camera is reduced 2-3 stops. A slave is placed at the side to give the main light and sometimes a reflector on the other side is helpful. If it are Your snakes, You have any possibilities though I understand that people do not want to handle reflectors in a mamba cage to frequently Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Markus Gottlieb
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Markus Gottlieb

Male
Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Best digital SLR for herp shots?   Best digital SLR for herp shots? Icon_minitimeTue 29 Dec - 18:44

Hi Günter

Have you ever tried a ring-flash ?
I want to get one for spider pics and so on but I don't know how good it works on snakes?

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Best digital SLR for herp shots?   Best digital SLR for herp shots? Icon_minitimeTue 29 Dec - 20:03

I own one, yes.
Usually the light is to flat for my taste but I think it will work quite well with spiders. Maybe with an additional light source from one side to get a bit mor dramatic light?
Cheers,
Guenter
Back to top Go down
Mats Jonsson
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Mats Jonsson

Male
Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Best digital SLR for herp shots?   Best digital SLR for herp shots? Icon_minitimeFri 12 Aug - 7:42

hi I use a canon ef 180mm 3,5L macro usm that is canons absolute best macro lens, super sharp and amazing boquet!! I have a Canon eos 5D mkII
reg
mats
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best digital SLR for herp shots?   Best digital SLR for herp shots? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best digital SLR for herp shots?
Page 1 of 1