VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Ovophis feeding issue

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Anze Gratzer
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Anze Gratzer

Male
Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2009-06-11

Ovophis feeding issue Empty
PostSubject: Ovophis feeding issue   Ovophis feeding issue Icon_minitimeSat 30 Jan - 5:56

Hi all!

I would like to ask you guys for any advice you can give me, regarding feeding ovophis babys.

I have pair of Ovophis monticola convictus CB09, which are around 18-20cm long and I have them one month now. I keep them cool and humid. So temperatures are around 22-24°C at daytime and around 18°C (sometimes 17°C). Humidity is around 70-80% (misting twice a week). They are in plastic boxes 25x20cm and have many hiding places ... everything. I would cook them tea or coffe if they would drink it - i like them so much Very Happy Laughing

Well - so far I tried:

- frozen thawned one day old pinky with forceps;
- live one day old pinky overnight
- frozen thawned pinky scented with gecko
- tease feeding
- feeding in a smaller box (but with dead pray).

Always when I use frozen thawned mice I warm the prey up so it could be more interesting for them.

I see interesting behaviour when I bring the pinky to them. Both look interested in food. They become "alert" and come to the pinky with interest ... but when they come close, they wait 3-5 seconds and go away Twisted Evil

When tease feeding they actualy grab and hold the pinky, but no "constricting". And they hold pinky sometimes for few minutes, and then release. So I assume that assist-feeding will do no good.

So that is why I am asking you for any advice. Force feeding is big stress for animal and I would like to avoid it. So if you have any advice, please let me know. If not ... I think I will force feed them ...

Thanks,
Anze
Back to top Go down
http://fila-brasileiro.webs.com
Michael Jonasson
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Michael Jonasson

Male
Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2009-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Ovophis feeding issue   Ovophis feeding issue Icon_minitimeSat 30 Jan - 6:01

Hello, i had the same problem with o.tonkinensis. Try to give them some kind of substrate so they can burrow. I switched over to damp spagnum Moss and Teo weeks later My tonkinensis started to feed and is nos taking pinkie rats, also try leaving the food item over night.

Hope i helped a little
Back to top Go down
Anze Gratzer
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Anze Gratzer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ovophis feeding issue   Ovophis feeding issue Icon_minitimeSat 30 Jan - 6:44

Thank you! I am keeping them on substrate they cannot burrow. I use mix of peat moss and bark. See bellow:

Ovophis feeding issue Ovoph1

So you advise that I use only peat moss?

Thanks,
Anze
Back to top Go down
Michael Jonasson
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Michael Jonasson

Male
Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2009-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Ovophis feeding issue   Ovophis feeding issue Icon_minitimeSat 30 Jan - 17:16

My tonkin viper actually burrows completly then turns around with only his head to be seen. I can post a picture for you later today. I can say that i also had to forcefeed him twice before he started to rake pinkie by himself.
Back to top Go down
BradMiller
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
BradMiller

Male
Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2009-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Ovophis feeding issue   Ovophis feeding issue Icon_minitimeSat 30 Jan - 17:55

Have you tried just pinkie heads?
I know with purps (Cryptelytrops purpureomaculatus) they prefer smaller prey than what would be expected when still neonates.

If you have breed purps before then you will know the technique.
It is a little difficult to explain but when they strike you almost need to try and get the pinkie head in at the right angle and let go quickly, then you have to keep dead still so they don't freak out and drop it. It will take allot of time but they eventually get the idea and eat.

Very nice snake by the way...
Back to top Go down
Stefan Thomson
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Stefan Thomson

Male
Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Ovophis feeding issue   Ovophis feeding issue Icon_minitimeSat 30 Jan - 22:30

Hi Brad,

i too have the same issue with O. tonkinensis. The "technique" you speak of is good, i´ve used it with many baby snakes, but haven´t had success with tonkinensis. No matter how statue you turn, they always spit it out here eventhough sometimes they make you wait a long timefor it to happen.

And they also have burrowed here and that hasn´t had any effect on getting them to feed, no matter if the pinkies are dead or alive.

Hopefully they start eating there Anze, awesome picture! If you get tired of them, please remember me Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.exotic-animals.tk
Anze Gratzer
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Anze Gratzer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Ovophis feeding issue   Ovophis feeding issue Icon_minitimeSun 31 Jan - 2:36

Thank you guys! I know I could count on you Wink

Well, today I made this: I pick up the snakes as I would do at force feeding and took only pinky head and closed it up to the snake. When it grabbed i pushed just a little more (not into throat) and then I hold them a bit and slowly released. And pinky head went down the throat without my help Smile

So it was more AF then FF. I hope in near future they'll take whole pinky and eventually by themselfs Smile

I also changed substrate and I put only peat moss inside, along with many hiding places etc.

Stefan ... somehow I don't think so Very Happy They are really nice little buggers and I hope to enjoy them many years Smile

Thanks again,
Anze
Back to top Go down
Mikael Andersson
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Mikael Andersson

Male
Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2009-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Ovophis feeding issue   Ovophis feeding issue Icon_minitimeSun 31 Jan - 6:10

Hi
Michael Jonasson you dident tell about the Oedura castelnaui baby metod
That did work so well

I have feed mine O. tonkinensis with Pogona vitticeps babys and the took them right away even if the prey was BIG!!

After a few lisard meals they now eat by them self on pinkis Very Happy

Micke Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.kryp.smugmug.com/
BradMiller
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
BradMiller

Male
Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2009-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Ovophis feeding issue   Ovophis feeding issue Icon_minitimeMon 1 Feb - 13:06

Great - I am very sure they are similar to purps in nature and prefer smaller prey sizes when they are neonates.

Try alternate between pinks heads and beef heart - it will help to get the snake to grow a bit quicker.

Stefan - patience is the key and many attempts - the snakes soon get the idea.
Back to top Go down
Stefan Thomson
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Stefan Thomson

Male
Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Ovophis feeding issue   Ovophis feeding issue Icon_minitimeMon 1 Feb - 16:47

Hi Brad,

yes that´s true. Patience is a virtue Smile But still no luck here but i´m sure they will start eating in time.
Anze, that´s nice to hear. Hopefully they´ll soon start eating without assistance! And you know that i just had to try getting those Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.exotic-animals.tk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ovophis feeding issue   Ovophis feeding issue Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ovophis feeding issue
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VenomLand :: Viperidae :: Ovophis-
Jump to: