VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
David Nixon
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
David Nixon

Male
Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis Empty
PostSubject: Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis   Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis Icon_minitimeMon 8 Feb - 19:04

Hi all,

Is there anybody on here who has bred D. polylepis? I currently have 2 males and 1 female – I’ve been spraying them 2-3 times per day and rotating the males, sometimes keeping 2 in with her at a time, over the last 3 weeks she has been hiding in the trap box, where I still continue to spray through the entrance. She seems to be moping around and not that active – yesterday I lifted her back-end up and it looks like there are bumps underneath, maybe this is just wishful thinking because I cannot remember what she looked like before I was cycling her, any ideas? Do they swell up on the sides, or look much different? I remember my Pakistan black cobras last year looked no different!

She has been spending much of her time with the male/males in the trap box, but I’ve witnessed no mating outside the box in eyes reach (Although, I don’t spend all that much time in the venomous room).

Cheers,

Dave
Back to top Go down
http://www.midlandsreptiles.com
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male
Number of posts : 1266
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis   Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis Icon_minitimeMon 8 Feb - 20:08

Hi David
I'm not looking for "swell ups" - except those clearly visible a short time before deposition of the eggs Very Happy
Actually, mating and pre mating behaviour in Dendraspis polylepis can hardly be overlooked (and overheared) - it's one of the "heaviest" pre mating behaviour in snakes at all.
The male rocks the females body and tail periodically like hell - all the adjacent cages vibrate and i'm able to hear that one floor higher.
Copulation usually lasts for several hours - the established recordof my breeding pair here is measured 18 (!!) hours, they usually do not like "quickies".
Due to my experiences, the chances for copulations without this well pronounced pre mating behaviour are poor.
I have a short period of slightly lesser temperatures (October, November). End of november, temperatures are increased again and (almost) daily, short showers are given.
This seems to work pretty good here - no guarantee it will work at your place, but it's worth a try.

Best regards
Peter
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilienzoonockalm.at
David Nixon
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
David Nixon

Male

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis   Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis Icon_minitimeMon 8 Feb - 20:39

Hi Peter,

That has realy helped me, as I said I've not seen any mating but I do only visit the room once or twice per day. Would yu say mating takes place mainly in the day or evening?

Fingers crossed for me ;-)

Cheers,

Dave
Back to top Go down
Paul Rowley
Systematicus
Systematicus

Male
Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis   Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis Icon_minitimeMon 8 Feb - 20:53

Hi David,
It might be worth talking to Peter Pastor on here.

Oh and let’s hope ViperLover never finds his way over here!
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis   Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis Icon_minitimeMon 8 Feb - 20:53

Hi David
most copulations here have started in the late afternoon or early evening but that's not enough to make a strict rule out of it - could depend on the climatical and/or temporal parameters here.

and, yeah - fingers crossed for you!

Peter
Back to top Go down
David Nixon
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
David Nixon

Male

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis   Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis Icon_minitimeMon 8 Feb - 21:00

Paul Rowley wrote:
Hi David,
It might be worth talking to Peter Pastor on here.

Oh and let’s hope ViperLover never finds his way over here!

Cheers Paul - I'll speak to Peter, I do have many of his snakes in my collection, he has certainly bred plenty of snakes.

Dave
Back to top Go down
David Nixon
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
David Nixon

Male

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis   Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis Icon_minitimeWed 10 Feb - 6:28

Any ideas guys? She has been spending plenty of time under the heat bulb, she's never been the best feeder but it's been well over a month since she last took any food - although i've seen no mating, she has had 2 males rotated with her and I think I can see swelling underneath.

I'm really not sure though!!!???

Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis Female10

Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis Female11

Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis Female12

Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis Female13

Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis Female14

Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis Female15

Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis Female16

Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis Female17
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis   Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis Icon_minitimeWed 10 Feb - 16:04

Best way to see it in the later phase of pregnancy is to have the female hanging it's rear part down while climbing:
Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis Polyst10

My female has taken food until a couple o' days before egg deposition - but she's a very good feeder and this cannot be taken as a rule, of course.

Peter
Back to top Go down
David Nixon
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
David Nixon

Male

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis   Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis Icon_minitimeWed 10 Feb - 18:19

Thanks Peter, I guess I'll just have to wait and see - the more I stand there and look at her, the more its making go mad Mad

Cheers,

Dave
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis   Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis Icon_minitimeFri 12 Feb - 10:35

Goodluck with the breeding David.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis   Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis Icon_minitimeThu 25 Mar - 10:55

Thats either the most calm black on earth or your balls are the size of grapefruits! Either way I wish you the best of luck! Be careful.
Back to top Go down
Richard Blok
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Richard Blok

Male
Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2010-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis   Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis Icon_minitimeTue 11 May - 21:02

Good luck david
Back to top Go down
David Nixon
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
David Nixon

Male

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis   Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis Icon_minitimeSun 23 May - 20:30

Timothy Sieber wrote:
Thats either the most calm black on earth or your balls are the size of grapefruits! Either way I wish you the best of luck! Be careful.

Just noticed the picture - I was much further away than it appears. Just my hand was pointing mid-body. She is easy going, but she is a mamba Very Happy

Sadly, she never did leave me any eggs. I would love to have bred them.

Dave
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis   Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Breeding Dendroaspis polylepis
Page 1 of 1