VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Something a little different - Homoroselaps lacteus

Go down 
+3
René Meierkord
Guenter Leitenbauer
Chris Jones
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris Jones
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Chris Jones

Male
Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2009-12-18

Something a little different - Homoroselaps lacteus Empty
PostSubject: Something a little different - Homoroselaps lacteus   Something a little different - Homoroselaps lacteus Icon_minitimeMon 15 Mar - 20:50

I thought it would be interesting to post these two pictures I took a few years ago of a very small and relatively secretive African Elapid.
The spotted Harlequin Snake - Homoroselaps Lacteus.
This individual was photographed about an hour from where I live in Durban.
She was probably just over 40cm long and was carrying a belly full eggs when we found her.
The photographs don't show it but all the H.lacteus from this particular area have a very nice deep turquoise colored belly.

Something a little different - Homoroselaps lacteus Harleq10

Something a little different - Homoroselaps lacteus Harleq11

It really is a shame that these pictures are of such bad quality as they really do the animal no justice at all but unfortunately they are very old photographs and where originally taken on film.
But an interesting animal exposed none the less.
Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male
Number of posts : 1389
Registration date : 2008-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Something a little different - Homoroselaps lacteus   Something a little different - Homoroselaps lacteus Icon_minitimeMon 15 Mar - 21:05

Interesting and beautiful snake!
And - I have seen photos of snakes that were much worse. Above are absolutely OK, especially if one takes into account that it have been made on film and in wildlife conditions.
Cheers,
Guenter
Back to top Go down
http://www.leitenbauer.net
René Meierkord
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2009-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Something a little different - Homoroselaps lacteus   Something a little different - Homoroselaps lacteus Icon_minitimeMon 15 Mar - 21:50

Oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

This is what Im waiting for!
I´d like to have some of these...
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male
Number of posts : 766
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Something a little different - Homoroselaps lacteus   Something a little different - Homoroselaps lacteus Icon_minitimeMon 15 Mar - 21:54

Really stunning snakes, but hard to keep. I had a discussion with Rene about the feeding. Is anybody breeding them in SA or keep them longer?
Back to top Go down
http://www.rear-fanged.com
Chris Jones
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Chris Jones

Male

PostSubject: Re: Something a little different - Homoroselaps lacteus   Something a little different - Homoroselaps lacteus Icon_minitimeMon 15 Mar - 22:20

The biggest hurdle with this sp. is its diet.
It feeds almost exclusively on smooth scaled prey and although it will eat small skinks and other snakes, it is well documented for showing a particular preference to blind snakes from the family leptotyphlops.
In truth very few people I know of currently work with this species or have attempted to work with it in the past, and as a result a lot of its captive habits remain something of a mystery.
The general husbandry should be relatively straight forward as it is a strictly fossorial species found in usually dry areas.
A shame really that more effort hasn't been put into this species as it is a very beautiful looking snake that can vary drastically from location to location and the individuals from the Eastern Cape will look like a completely different species to the one I have posted.
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male

PostSubject: Re: Something a little different - Homoroselaps lacteus   Something a little different - Homoroselaps lacteus Icon_minitimeMon 15 Mar - 22:35

Thx. I read some interesting papers about this species
http://www.crepinstitute.co.za/pdf/marcelpaper.pdf

That was the point I asked for. Good to have some people, who make us such nice pics available.

rgds Fabian
Back to top Go down
Chris Jones
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Chris Jones

Male

PostSubject: Re: Something a little different - Homoroselaps lacteus   Something a little different - Homoroselaps lacteus Icon_minitimeMon 15 Mar - 23:10

Interesting paper.
And certainly something special to witness.
Interestingly enough you can see the difference in the patterning in that specimen from the Cape and the one from KZN, even when the picture is in Black and white.
I also believe the individuals from the Cape are generally bigger animals than those from KZN and therefore probably more likely to include other snakes in their diet.
Just a theory.
My personal experience with keeping this species is unfortunately limited but I can tell you I successfully kept a number of individuals in 1ltr plastic containers with average ventilation and a basic substrate of vermiculite about 3cm deep.
They fed well on Peters Thread Snakes - Leptotyphlops s. scutifrons and Wahlbergs Snake-eyed Skinks - Panaspis wahlbergii.
It is a tricky species and would take someone with serious patience to get it right.
A while ago there was one young chap here in SA that claimed he had one specimen that was eating meal worms!!!
Back to top Go down
Rob Deans
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Rob Deans

Male
Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2008-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Something a little different - Homoroselaps lacteus   Something a little different - Homoroselaps lacteus Icon_minitimeTue 16 Mar - 15:48

You went to Mooi River? Without me? Eish! Wink
Back to top Go down
Chris Jones
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Chris Jones

Male

PostSubject: Re: Something a little different - Homoroselaps lacteus   Something a little different - Homoroselaps lacteus Icon_minitimeTue 16 Mar - 18:09

Ha ha Rob mate sorry i am sure i called you before i left....no?
Rob a while ago you had a couple old photos of a good sized Eastern Cape specimen if i remember correctly. If you can still find them please post it here.
Would be good to see the color variations on the different localities.
Back to top Go down
Stefan Anthonijsz
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Stefan Anthonijsz

Male
Number of posts : 556
Registration date : 2009-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Something a little different - Homoroselaps lacteus   Something a little different - Homoroselaps lacteus Icon_minitimeTue 16 Mar - 18:48

Very nice looking snake!
Back to top Go down
Rob Deans
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Rob Deans

Male
Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2008-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Something a little different - Homoroselaps lacteus   Something a little different - Homoroselaps lacteus Icon_minitimeTue 16 Mar - 19:30

Chris - A BIG no! Wink Kidding man
Quite a few striped lacteus come out of Mooi River. Ive also gotten them there before.
Did you see any Rinkhals there?

Ok here is a large female from Port Elizabeth- Eastern Cape

Something a little different - Homoroselaps lacteus DSCF7622

A hatchling

Something a little different - Homoroselaps lacteus 123
Back to top Go down
Rainer Fesser
Systematicus
Systematicus

Male
Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2008-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Something a little different - Homoroselaps lacteus   Something a little different - Homoroselaps lacteus Icon_minitimeWed 17 Mar - 3:12

Hello Chris, hello Rob,

nice to read your conversation but even nicer to see these animals. And somehow different from seeing these or other colours / patterns in books.

Thank you, they are real beauties.

Rainer
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male

PostSubject: Re: Something a little different - Homoroselaps lacteus   Something a little different - Homoroselaps lacteus Icon_minitimeWed 17 Mar - 3:23

Stunning... I agree with Rainer
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Something a little different - Homoroselaps lacteus   Something a little different - Homoroselaps lacteus Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Something a little different - Homoroselaps lacteus
Page 1 of 1