VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Oxyuranus scutellatus canni

Go down 
+4
Frank Weinsheimer
Mario Lutz
Randy Ciuros
Peter Pastor
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Peter Pastor
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Peter Pastor

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2008-03-08

Oxyuranus scutellatus canni Empty
PostSubject: Oxyuranus scutellatus canni   Oxyuranus scutellatus canni Icon_minitimeMon 21 Apr - 1:24

Ok, I think it`s time to start posting also in this thread, as breeding season started already over us. Both females we keep are gravid, first very close to laying... The following pictures are mix from last year breedings...

Oxyuranus scutellatus canni Canni110

Oxyuranus scutellatus canni Canni010

Oxyuranus scutellatus canni Canni011

Oxyuranus scutellatus canni Canni012

Oxyuranus scutellatus canni Canni013

Oxyuranus scutellatus canni Canni014

We are breeding this species every year (this will be our third season in row), and both females gave us double clutches, one even three clutches in one year. I am preparing with Marek an article about their breeding, so will post more details later... At the moment I will just share with you quantity of babies we hatched during last 2 years:
* 2006 - 44 babies (from 50 eggs)
* 2007 - 41 babies (from 45 eggs) Wink Rolling Eyes Embarassed

Best regards,
Peter P.
Back to top Go down
Randy Ciuros
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Randy Ciuros

Male
Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Oxyuranus scutellatus canni   Oxyuranus scutellatus canni Icon_minitimeMon 21 Apr - 2:15

That is awesome Peter. Can't wait to see the article.
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomstreet.com
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Oxyuranus scutellatus canni   Oxyuranus scutellatus canni Icon_minitimeMon 21 Apr - 11:15

i got some of your offspring from last year here. i am angry with you Razz , next time you tell me earlier how fast this guys growing and especially - how many food they will eat!

amazing peter, you feed them monday, tuesday the drop their pup and wednesday, you need to feed them again! crazy little fellers! but very clam and easy to handle (for this time!). by the way, they are already 80cm now... little giants

thanks for breeding them, i cant wait to see your article here about it!

cheers
Mario
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomland.org
Peter Pastor
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Peter Pastor

PostSubject: Re: Oxyuranus scutellatus canni   Oxyuranus scutellatus canni Icon_minitimeMon 21 Apr - 18:30

Well, it seems you are feeding them really a lot! What a Face
By our experience too big (overgrown) specimens do not breed well, but maybe it will be different over you in so nice environment... Wink
Be ready for more babies which will follow your way later this year... Arrow affraid

Cheers,
Peter P.
Back to top Go down
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male

PostSubject: Re: Oxyuranus scutellatus canni   Oxyuranus scutellatus canni Icon_minitimeMon 21 Apr - 18:39

dont worry peter,

they are not fat - they just defecate and digest so fast. eating, next day, all trough the gats, thats it - and hungry again...

dear lord, more taipans - god help us!

cheers
Mario
Back to top Go down
Randy Ciuros
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Randy Ciuros

Male
Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Oxyuranus scutellatus canni   Oxyuranus scutellatus canni Icon_minitimeMon 21 Apr - 23:16

Mario Lutz wrote:
dear lord, more taipans - god help us!

cheers
Mario

You can always send them my way Mario
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomstreet.com
Peter Pastor
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Peter Pastor

PostSubject: Re: Oxyuranus scutellatus canni   Oxyuranus scutellatus canni Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr - 3:20

If you want some, Randy, just tell me... You know I want also something from you, so sending of taipans is no problem at all... Can you house a dozen of them? Very Happy affraid
Back to top Go down
Frank Weinsheimer
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Frank Weinsheimer

Male
Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2008-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Oxyuranus scutellatus canni   Oxyuranus scutellatus canni Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr - 3:56

Hello Peter,

you wrote about double/tripple clutches. Do the parents mate between the first and the second clutch (and third clutch)? If not, how long does it take from the first to the second clutch? And if yes, at which time after the first clutch the parents are mating again?
Thanks for answering.

Best wishes

Frank
Back to top Go down
Peter Pastor
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Peter Pastor

PostSubject: Re: Oxyuranus scutellatus canni   Oxyuranus scutellatus canni Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr - 5:05

Hi Frank,

shortly, here are more details.
First year we bred them (2006) we mated both females before first clutches. Approx. 2+ months after it they laid eggs. As I came into contact with article that time about breeding of Oxyuranus s. scutellatus, which reported also second clutches, we were full of questions if cannies can do it as well. Therefore, approx. 2 months after laying of eggs we mated both females again. They were in perfect condition, so there was no risk with it. Surprisingly, both females laid second clutches again approx. 2+ months after mating. Our male is really "rock", he is copulating with females few minites after introduction of female into his cage. We keep him in cage 2.4 m long, so you can imagine how does it look when 2 adult taipans are "running" around it Shocked
First of our females is better, as she lays more and usually also better eggs. It took a longer time for second female, but she laid second clutch as well. Nice, we said, proof about 2 clutches on 1 mating are correct! Few weeks later, without expecting it at all, we started to think that first female is getting more fat again. How it can be? We placed a box with wet spagnum into her cage, just to be prepared if she really lay third cluch. And it also happend! She laid third clutch for us. It was her second clutch on one mating...

As we wanted to give a rest to females next year (2007), we mated both of the females just once. We were thinking they will lay one clutch, and that`s is. But....they changed their minds, and they laid second clutches in few months. Both of them!

We will see how the thing will be this year. We will surely not mate them second time, but I am expecting that at least one female will do second clutch again. Time will tell us.

All our breeding animals are from captive breeding already, so also their behaivor is different to those from wild. When they are fed, you can move them east by tailing, but once they are curious about you, it`s better to leave them in cage.... Basketball

Hope I gave you some answers you was looking for...

All the best,
Peter P.
Back to top Go down
Frank Weinsheimer
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Frank Weinsheimer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Oxyuranus scutellatus canni   Oxyuranus scutellatus canni Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr - 6:49

Hello Peter,

thanks for the answer. I ask because since nearly two weeks I have 16 eggs of Oxyuranus microlepidotus in my incubator (fingers crossed!) and the male tries to mate at this moment again. I read about second and third clutches of O. microlepidotus as well, but there have been no notice about the time period between the clutches or recured matings. Hopefully it is compareable to your Oxyuranus scutellatus canni...
I will start a new topic in the next days to share some fotos with you.

Best wishes

Frank
Back to top Go down
Gavin Carpenter
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Oxyuranus scutellatus canni   Oxyuranus scutellatus canni Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr - 12:39

Hi Peter
What temperature do you cool your Canni down to as I have had 2 clutches in the last 2 years and the eggs are all infertile!
Cheers
Gavin
Back to top Go down
Peter Pastor
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Peter Pastor

PostSubject: Re: Oxyuranus scutellatus canni   Oxyuranus scutellatus canni Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr - 14:51

Frank Weinsheimer wrote:
Hello Peter,

thanks for the answer. I ask because since nearly two weeks I have 16 eggs of Oxyuranus microlepidotus in my incubator (fingers crossed!) and the male tries to mate at this moment again. I read about second and third clutches of O. microlepidotus as well, but there have been no notice about the time period between the clutches or recured matings. Hopefully it is compareable to your Oxyuranus scutellatus canni...
I will start a new topic in the next days to share some fotos with you.

Best wishes

Frank

Whoauuu!!! Amazing. I just woke up, and am reading such nice information over here. Perfect. If they hatch (I am sure they do, it`s not so difficult to hatch taipans), don`t forget to let me/us know about babies. I would be definitelly interested in some, if we could find a way to fix a deal. I know they are pricey, but hopefully I will have something what could interest you as well... We will see.
I have heard that 2-3 years ago there was breeding of microlepidotuses in Germany, and that breeder got 2 clutches from female. All babies hatched, and guy got rich... Wink I am keeping my fingers crossed you have the same "problem" soon cheers

Best regards,
Peter P.
Back to top Go down
Peter Pastor
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Peter Pastor

PostSubject: Re: Oxyuranus scutellatus canni   Oxyuranus scutellatus canni Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr - 14:56

Gavin Carpenter wrote:
Hi Peter
What temperature do you cool your Canni down to as I have had 2 clutches in the last 2 years and the eggs are all infertile!
Cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin,

we do not cool them down at all. We keep them in our warmer breeding room, so it isn`t possible to cool them at all. As I wrote over another place, the main point to breed them is having a good male! I think female can produce eggs, but not all males are agree to copulate. OUr friend Klaus Roamer from Germany had the same problem. His very huge male is not interested in breeding at all.... So he is raising a male from us now, hope he will do better for him... Also the size counts in breeding in our opinion. Our animals aren`t very big, females approx. 150 cm, male approx. 180-190 cm. Not bigger! They have good condition, and are ready to mate immediatelly. I am sure if I put a corn snake into cage with the male, he would do his job as well. He just like it, but we can`t take it any wrong from him, right? Wink bounce

Best regards,
Peter P.
Back to top Go down
Peter Pastor
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Peter Pastor

PostSubject: Re: Oxyuranus scutellatus canni   Oxyuranus scutellatus canni Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr - 14:59

Frank Weinsheimer wrote:
and the male tries to mate at this moment again.

One more question. Do you keep them together all the time, or separatelly? we keep all cannies separatelly, and introduce females to male just for mating... As I said, male is doing his job right away...
If you keep them together, maybe shorter separation (for few weeks) would work well. I am sure male would mate the female once you bring her back to him....

Peter P.
Back to top Go down
Frank Weinsheimer
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Frank Weinsheimer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Oxyuranus scutellatus canni   Oxyuranus scutellatus canni Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr - 17:18

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the congratulations. I think we can arrange something in future ;-)
I have 1,1 adults of them and keep them together except during hibernation. I don´t have more space to keep them seperated the whole time. I don´t own the animals, they are from a good friend, I only keep them and we share the eggs. They have been much to expensive for me, but of course I will keep some hatchings for me.
I just keep them since one year, because my friend tried to breed them for three years without any success. Then he told me to try it with them, and I got luck. Hopefully it goes on.
The male tries to mate every time he or she shed freshly without any problems. He shed yesterday and since that he is jumping around on the female. Maybe they will mate today again, normally he needs one day premating behaviour before coming into operation.
On my opinion it is not necessary to seperate them, they mate the whole year if the climate is right.
I will start a new topic on that today, with fotos of course, so we can talk about that seperately.

Best wishes

Frank
Back to top Go down
Harold van der Ploeg
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Harold van der Ploeg

Male
Number of posts : 282
Registration date : 2008-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Oxyuranus scutellatus canni   Oxyuranus scutellatus canni Icon_minitimeSun 27 Apr - 6:39

I've seen those pictures before, but I still like them Peter Cool

I've kept one of those babies for several month while the owner was out in the field.
They have a spectacular coloration! And they are FAST indeed Shocked

Oxyuranus scutellatus canni Scutellatus_PICT4716

Good luck breeding them in future.

Cheers,
Harold
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomenal.com
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male

PostSubject: Re: Oxyuranus scutellatus canni   Oxyuranus scutellatus canni Icon_minitimeSun 27 Apr - 9:47

Harold,

how old is the specimen on your picture?
i would love to find out, if the coloration stays or if it will disappear when they grow bigger..

4 of peter´s babies are with me now, and i was shocked, to see how colorful they are! now, the animal on your picture shows the same coloration like our babies (only a bit less orange on the head),....

cheers
Mario
Back to top Go down
Harold van der Ploeg
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Harold van der Ploeg

Male

PostSubject: Re: Oxyuranus scutellatus canni   Oxyuranus scutellatus canni Icon_minitimeSun 27 Apr - 15:35

The specimen on the pictures is probably from the same clutch as yours. This picture was taken about a year ago I guess.
Don't know about changing of coloration, I haven't seen this specimen for quite some time.
I think the colors are in reality even nicer than the colors that can be shown at the picture, don't you think?

Cheers,
Harold
Back to top Go down
Peter Pastor
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Peter Pastor

PostSubject: Re: Oxyuranus scutellatus canni   Oxyuranus scutellatus canni Icon_minitimeSun 27 Apr - 16:54

Specimen on Harold` picture is from breeding(s) we made for the first time. It`s one of Iwan Hendrikx animals he got from us. Second one is almost fully red on head and back, it was the nicest babies we have produced. Iwan is out of home now, so I can`t ask him for actual picture of it, but he promised me to send some when he is back...

Mario`s animals are from second breeding season...

Our adult animals keep the color as adults as well, so I believe all babies will be nice colored when they grow as well... We produce just finest animals!!! Embarassed Rolling Eyes What a Face

Best regards,
Peter P.
Back to top Go down
Peter Pastor
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Peter Pastor

PostSubject: Re: Oxyuranus scutellatus canni   Oxyuranus scutellatus canni Icon_minitimeWed 7 May - 3:58

So, here is an update!

As we expected, first female of canni laid eggs for us today. Although she had box with spagnum inside her cage (which females always used for laying tilll now), she prefered today her normal hidding box. Although it wasn`t very clean inside of it ( Embarassed ), eggs are nice and clean. They are stuck together, so it`s hard to count them, but if we did it properly, there are 16 of them in this "bunch" Wink

Marek will post some pictures he made... As he is not speaking English, in this way he can show at least some activity over here, so moderators will not delete his account Rolling Eyes He is over the forum everyday anyway... Cool

All the best,
Peter P.
Back to top Go down
Marek Kovac

Number of posts : 1

PostSubject: Re: Oxyuranus scutellatus canni   Oxyuranus scutellatus canni Icon_minitimeWed 7 May - 4:02

Hello all,

here are some pictures... Smile

Best regards,
Marek

Oxyuranus scutellatus canni Canni_10

Oxyuranus scutellatus canni Canni_11

Oxyuranus scutellatus canni Canni_12

Oxyuranus scutellatus canni Canni_13

Oxyuranus scutellatus canni Canni_14
Back to top Go down
Harold van der Ploeg
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Harold van der Ploeg

Male

PostSubject: Re: Oxyuranus scutellatus canni   Oxyuranus scutellatus canni Icon_minitimeWed 7 May - 6:15

That's a very good looking clutch of eggs!
Congrats Marek and Peter!

Cheers,
Harold
Back to top Go down
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male

PostSubject: Re: Oxyuranus scutellatus canni   Oxyuranus scutellatus canni Icon_minitimeWed 7 May - 8:58

yes, same from my site - congratulation to the both of you!
dont worry peter, we will not terminate Marek´s account as i know, he is online always and we also know he is not talking english. just keep on doing this like here, he might learn enough english to go for small posts on day..

Mario
Back to top Go down
Peter Pastor
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Peter Pastor

PostSubject: Re: Oxyuranus scutellatus canni   Oxyuranus scutellatus canni Icon_minitimeMon 7 Jul - 4:33

Just short update!
I checked eggs of cannies a while ago, and there are first babies out of eggs, next ones are pipped!!! Tomorrow it is exactly 2 months since female laid them... Wink
We will post some pictures and more details later...

All the best,
Peter P.
Back to top Go down
Ralph Tümmers
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Ralph Tümmers

Male
Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2008-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Oxyuranus scutellatus canni   Oxyuranus scutellatus canni Icon_minitimeWed 18 Mar - 20:27

Hello,
really nice ,how many eggs did it ?
You wanted to write a information about the inkubation of you animals.
It would be interesting to get some informations about the inkubation,temperature and humidty.
Last weekend i get an adult 1.1 canni pair,male about 7,5ft and she is about 6-6,5 ft long.
Really nice,fast and the male is really aggressiv...
Best regards,
Ralph
Back to top Go down
http://www.viperworld.de
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oxyuranus scutellatus canni   Oxyuranus scutellatus canni Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oxyuranus scutellatus canni
Page 1 of 1