VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

post anal glands

Go down 
AuthorMessage

post anal glands Empty
PostSubject: post anal glands   post anal glands Icon_minitimeMon 2 Aug - 0:13

Hi,

does anyone here know something about d.acutus using/having post anal glands to spray bad smelling secretion in stress situations?

I know that some Agkistrodon do this. But how about Deinagkistrodon? Do they have this glands too?

Are there publications available?

Greetz,
Roland
Back to top Go down

post anal glands Empty
PostSubject: Re: post anal glands   post anal glands Icon_minitimeMon 2 Aug - 3:11

Hi there,

As far I can talk about my experience with only four of this specie, I could never observe such behaviour. All the Agkistrodon (contortrix ssp, piscivorus ssp) I have did use this, and it smells quite nasty... I never could observe this with Agkistrodon bilineatus ssp, A.taylori, nor D.acutus. Maybe someone has some more infos?

Cheers

LucasC.
Back to top Go down

post anal glands Empty
PostSubject: Re: post anal glands   post anal glands Icon_minitimeMon 2 Aug - 6:07

Hi Lucas,

thx.

Agkistrodon. Does it smells like phosphor if they spray?

Back to top Go down

post anal glands Empty
PostSubject: Re: post anal glands   post anal glands Icon_minitimeMon 2 Aug - 14:44

Hi,

I didn't quite had the occasion to smell phosphor in my life, so I'm not able to answer you about that!! Very Happy It really smells like musk. This odour is... Just unforgettable! This odour is much more powerful with the A.piscivorus ssp.

Cheers

LucasC.
Back to top Go down

post anal glands Empty
PostSubject: Re: post anal glands   post anal glands Icon_minitimeTue 3 Aug - 0:14

Hi,

somebody told me that Deinagkistrodon have anal glands too and that adults use them more than youngsters when handled.

Phosphor: rotten fish and garlic... Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down

post anal glands Empty
PostSubject: Re: post anal glands   post anal glands Icon_minitimeSun 22 Aug - 2:18

Hi,

can anybody tell me how a normal hissing from a a acutus sounds like?
Back to top Go down
Ronny Levin
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-03-17

post anal glands Empty
PostSubject: Re: post anal glands   post anal glands Icon_minitimeThu 1 Mar - 0:44

Hello. Pretty old thread but you never got a specific answer. Yes Deinagkistrodon do musk a pretty distinctive smell when thretned. I breed Deinagkistrodon acutus and in my 13 speecimens i keep allmost all of them "musk" sometimes.

Cheers, Ronny
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

post anal glands Empty
PostSubject: Re: post anal glands   post anal glands Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

post anal glands
Page 1 of 1