VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Herpetoculture In Europe

Go down 
+3
Wolfgang Wüster
Marthinus C. Harmse
Drew Edwards
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Drew Edwards

Male
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2010-10-18

Herpetoculture In Europe Empty
PostSubject: Herpetoculture In Europe   Herpetoculture In Europe Icon_minitimeFri 22 Oct - 6:51

N/A

Last edited by Drew Edwards on Fri 16 Apr - 5:41; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Marthinus C. Harmse
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Marthinus C. Harmse

Male
Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2009-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Herpetoculture In Europe   Herpetoculture In Europe Icon_minitimeFri 22 Oct - 15:41

Hi.

The colletti is probably from Papua New Guinea. The micros were either snuck in or the offspring could have been obtained from zoological institutes?

Just a guess.
Marthinus
Back to top Go down
Wolfgang Wüster
Systematicus
Systematicus

Number of posts : 273
Registration date : 2008-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Herpetoculture In Europe   Herpetoculture In Europe Icon_minitimeFri 22 Oct - 18:26

Pseudechis colletti does not occur in Papua New Guinea - it's an Australian endemic, so unless it's zoo surplus or something like that, it or its ancestors would have been smuggled out of Australia. In any case, PNG does not allow commercial fauna exports either.

Let's face it, I strongly suspect that the founder stock of a very appreciable proportion of the species currently widely bred and kept in captivity arrived in someone's suitcase.... which probably gave them a much higher chance of survival than if they had been part of a shipment from the average exporter!
Back to top Go down
http://www.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/
Marthinus C. Harmse
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Marthinus C. Harmse

Male
Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2009-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Herpetoculture In Europe   Herpetoculture In Europe Icon_minitimeFri 22 Oct - 19:56

Thanks for rectifying Wolfgang.

Last edited by Marthinus C. Harmse on Thu 28 Oct - 14:34; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Drew Edwards

Male

PostSubject: Re: Herpetoculture In Europe   Herpetoculture In Europe Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct - 5:43

N/A

Last edited by Drew Edwards on Fri 16 Apr - 5:41; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nicolas Cartier
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Herpetoculture In Europe   Herpetoculture In Europe Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct - 14:46

Hi, i'm French cityzen and i'm currently under working holidays visa in Australia and i apply for my second years in Febuary.

I hope to stay in Australia with my girlfriend (she's australian).

I tried several times to speak to the Australian gouvernment about Australian captive breed reptiles export.

But unfortunately i never received real answer about this subject.

So i did my personnal research about australian reptiles import export oversea.

For the moment i think you can't export Australian reptiles for commercial purpose, except for this few reasons :

Approved captive breeding programs
Approved artificial propagation programs
Approved wildlife trade operations
Approved wildlife trade management plans
Accredited wildlife trade management plans
( follow the link for more informations): http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/trade-use/sources/index.html

After read a several times the conditions to export australian native wildlive, i think the gouvernment speak only about wild native animals.

So i think in fact you don't have laws for control the commercial trade of "Australian captive breed reptiles"( only for the wildlife).

And also you can import some Venomous snakes (and probably wild specimens) to Australia !
http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/trade-use/lists/import/pubs/live-import-list.pdf

Finally, I find the laws about the import/export of Australian reptiles in Australia is little confused !

Sorry for my bad english,
Nicolas.
Back to top Go down
Drew Edwards

Male

PostSubject: Re: Herpetoculture In Europe   Herpetoculture In Europe Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct - 23:31

N/A

Last edited by Drew Edwards on Fri 16 Apr - 5:42; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nicolas Cartier
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male

PostSubject: Re: Herpetoculture In Europe   Herpetoculture In Europe Icon_minitimeSun 24 Oct - 8:56

Hi Drew, I think the probleme is you don't have a approved breeding programs can sell live animals.

For example: Venom supplies is approved breeding programs by the gouvernment but they can't sell live animals, only blood, part of body or venom i think.

We have only one solution i think.
Come to Australia, get your Australian Nationality, start a venomous snakes farm and hope your Farm will be approved by the gouvernment !!!

It's real challenge and you have very small opportunity to succeed !

you ca find some information about the breeding programs in this link
http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/trade-use/sources/forms/wildlife-programs.html

Back to top Go down
Drew Edwards

Male

PostSubject: Re: Herpetoculture In Europe   Herpetoculture In Europe Icon_minitimeSun 24 Oct - 9:03

N/A

Back to top Go down
Nathan Dunstan

Male
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Herpetoculture In Europe   Herpetoculture In Europe Icon_minitimeMon 25 Oct - 12:27

Hi Drew, i'm just about to send you an email but thought i'd post the jist of things here for the clarifaction of others also. Australian native reptiles can be sent out of Australia, we have done so twice and i know some of the zoos here have also, but (and this is a big but) you (the importer) needs to get a licence from our government and you can pretty well count yourself out unless you are a big name zoo or a researcher at a recognised institution with a specific project in mind, and even then they make you jump through all sorts of hoops. You will also be required to enter into an agreement that the animals (and progeny of) are not to be used for any purpose other than that stated in the export licence and especially not passed along to others.

I hope this helps clear things up a little.

Cheers

Nathan
Production Manager
Venom Supplies Pty Ltd

Last edited by Nathan Dunstan on Mon 25 Oct - 21:16; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomsupplies.com
Michael Burmeister
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2010-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Herpetoculture In Europe   Herpetoculture In Europe Icon_minitimeMon 25 Oct - 17:11

These strict laws on Aussie reptiles create a massive demand. This just fuels smuggling and is completely counterproductive for conservation. Many Aussie sp. Are bred fairly regularly in captivity over there, why can these not be exported? This makes very little sense, but I suppose that’s the case with many environmental laws!
Back to top Go down
Nicolas Cartier
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male

PostSubject: Re: Herpetoculture In Europe   Herpetoculture In Europe Icon_minitimeMon 25 Oct - 19:01

Exactly ! Many Australian reptiles are breed in captivy with success !
I think export Australian reptiles captive breeding don't do problems for the environment.

But prohibit the Export of Australian reptiles for commercial purpose push more people to smuggling.

Back to top Go down
Drew Edwards

Male

PostSubject: Re: Herpetoculture In Europe   Herpetoculture In Europe Icon_minitimeThu 28 Oct - 2:49

N/A

Back to top Go down
Rainer Fesser
Systematicus
Systematicus

Male
Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2008-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Herpetoculture In Europe   Herpetoculture In Europe Icon_minitimeThu 28 Oct - 3:11

Hello Drew,

I know people who did and I know people who tried and ended up in jail.

My brother in law lives in Australia and he is active in preserving nature there. He told me quite a lot about how people try to smuggle wildlife out and how they get caught.

Making fun, he said to me that he would not come and see me in jail if I would have been caught trying to smuggle snakes out. But - and he knew that of course - I had never had any intention to do so.
All wildlife I took home from there was inside my camera - legally, as photos.
Back to top Go down
Drew Edwards

Male

PostSubject: Re: Herpetoculture In Europe   Herpetoculture In Europe Icon_minitimeFri 29 Oct - 11:41

N/A
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Herpetoculture In Europe   Herpetoculture In Europe Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Herpetoculture In Europe
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VenomLand :: VenomLand Forum :: General Venomous Snake Keeping-
Jump to: