VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Discovery Channel...

Go down 
+8
Gavin Carpenter
Alex Larsen
Guenter Leitenbauer
Brett Franklin
Joni hottinen
Peter Zürcher
Miguel Tönnies
Tiberiu Sahlean
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Tiberiu Sahlean
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Tiberiu Sahlean

Male
Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2010-03-03

Discovery Channel... Empty
PostSubject: Discovery Channel...   Discovery Channel... Icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov - 2:29

A friend of mine brought to my attention the kind of rubbish Discovery Network is airing these days and to be honest I was a little more than just shocked.
Take a look for yourselves:

Back to top Go down
http://tiberiusahlean.daportfolio.com/
Miguel Tönnies
Miguel Tönnies

Male
Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Discovery Channel...   Discovery Channel... Icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov - 2:52

It is, schockingly, true. This guy kills any critetr that happens on his survival path.
Back to top Go down
Tiberiu Sahlean
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Tiberiu Sahlean

Male

PostSubject: Re: Discovery Channel...   Discovery Channel... Icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov - 2:56

I can bet he's on a "survival" trail during a TV show. confused
I would like to say a piece of mind about these kind of people but for the forum rules which I respect...
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male
Number of posts : 1266
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Discovery Channel...   Discovery Channel... Icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov - 2:59

Also these stupidities do live from viewing rates - don't watch it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilienzoonockalm.at
Joni hottinen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Joni hottinen

Male
Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2010-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Discovery Channel...   Discovery Channel... Icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov - 3:02

oh my... that makes me sick.. but everything for entertaiment Sad

i could make same things for him too!
Back to top Go down
Tiberiu Sahlean
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Tiberiu Sahlean

Male

PostSubject: Re: Discovery Channel...   Discovery Channel... Icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov - 3:04

That is a good point. At first I watched the puff adder part and I thought - oh, it is fake, because they cut the frame, but then I watched the boa part and I was really shocked.
Back to top Go down
Brett Franklin
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Brett Franklin

Male
Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Discovery Channel...   Discovery Channel... Icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov - 4:21

I used to actually like watching his shows. Not too impressed with him now though.
Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male
Number of posts : 1389
Registration date : 2008-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Discovery Channel...   Discovery Channel... Icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov - 4:34

Sad!
Einstein said: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Back to top Go down
http://www.leitenbauer.net
Alex Larsen

Male
Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Discovery Channel...   Discovery Channel... Icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov - 7:02

The funny thing is that the guy won't kill protected species, but will all too happily do so for unprotected snakes. I won't condemn a person for killing a snake if it means a food source after being stranded God alone knows where, but there's no point to this.
Back to top Go down
Gavin Carpenter
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Discovery Channel...   Discovery Channel... Icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov - 11:47

It would be a bit of luck if he picked up some incurable disease from eating this and then see if he survives!!!! I dont watch this crap because as you say Alex, there is no point to something like this!
Cheers
Gavin
Back to top Go down
Sami Heikkinen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Sami Heikkinen

Male
Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Discovery Channel...   Discovery Channel... Icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov - 15:15

This guy is a real turd.. I have seen couple of episodes of man vs. wild or something.. One of the episodes he was "hunting" reindeers by running after them with hes knive and after couple of nicely done cuts on the video he just happen to got one. This series is surely for the dumb people who doesn't know anything about nature, like you cannot catch reindeer by running after them in waist deep snow.

I liked more the Survivorman show.
Back to top Go down
http://nothingtosayphoto.blogspot.com/
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male
Number of posts : 404
Registration date : 2008-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Discovery Channel...   Discovery Channel... Icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov - 15:33

I have a question for you pros out there, regarding the first video...

Now, I've never had the opportunity to encounter one of the larger species in the wild, so I don't know, but... I have been bit by a number of snakes of different species, quite a few times. I've worked with ATB's for years now, so they contribute a fair number of those bites Smile
I've never noticed 'bad breath' on my snakes, nor have I ever suffered any noticable infection or any other problems from the bites of non-vens. Other than punctures and bleeding, in case the snake has been large enough.
Although I did get an itchy reaction to the bite of small Thamnophis sp. which bit me in the knuckle back in the day Smile

Are you likely to get a serious infection from the bite of wild/large non-venomous snake?
Have any of you out there ever suffered one? In the field or at home.

As for the videos themselves, I'm not a fan. Sure, you eat to survive etc. and anyone will cringe at the sight of this when their favorite animal is being killed, but still... I don't know.
Besides, I felt distaste in his cowardly approach to these magnificent animals. Seems to me that at best he saw them only as meals and had zero respect for them.

Eating raw Puff Adder? What about the ribs...
Back to top Go down
Martti Niskanen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Martti Niskanen

Male
Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Discovery Channel...   Discovery Channel... Icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov - 16:49

Christian:

I've seen a serious infection resulting from a captive Boa constrictor bite, but from personal experience I'd agree with you that they're rare. Most people probably don't even clean the (non-ven) bite wounds, but just carry on as before. However, a bite in the wild in the tropics is a very different thing, as any puncture of the skin can easily get infected in hot, humid conditions. I don't know whether you're more likely to get an infection from a snake bite that a puncture wound from a plant, splinter or knife, but a puncture is a great risk nonetheless, so in this context BG (can't bring myself to write his name) has a point in that if you get bitten by a snake in the tropics you risk getting an infection.

But most of this speculation is useless if you don't know what you're doing or what you're killing. If you're lost in the bush with the sharp end of a puff adder stuck to your arm, an infection is the least of your worries.

Btw. Surely BG's show has nothing to do with real survival. Just sensationalist, shouty rubbish.

-Martti
Back to top Go down
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male
Number of posts : 404
Registration date : 2008-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Discovery Channel...   Discovery Channel... Icon_minitimeFri 5 Nov - 20:08

Thanks for the comments Martti, that cleared up some questions.
I think sensationalist is a good word to sum up this guy, judging by these clips anyway.

Naturally infection in the case of a Puff Adder or other venomous snake-bite is mostly of lesser concern Smile
Back to top Go down
Alex Larsen

Male
Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Discovery Channel...   Discovery Channel... Icon_minitimeSat 6 Nov - 4:33

A bite from a wild snake is the most likely vector for infection that Martti listed, with thorn/splinter puncture second, and a knife a distant third (presuming you care for it as you should). Then again, unless you have a first aid kit on you, any puncture is likely to result in even a minor infection, even if it's caused by simple exposure of the wound.
Back to top Go down
Martin Romanov
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Martin Romanov

Male
Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2010-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Discovery Channel...   Discovery Channel... Icon_minitimeSat 6 Nov - 14:38

It would be interesting to see if he finds a hungry cannibal tribe who a trying to survive...
Back to top Go down
http://terraristic.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Discovery Channel...   Discovery Channel... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Discovery Channel...
Page 1 of 1