VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

The devil arrived - M. insignitus

Go down 
+10
Kelly Chabak
Rainer Fesser
Mario Lutz
Martti Niskanen
Bostjan Kraner
Daniel Claesson
Peter van Issem
Ro vd Bergh
Bob Herrington
Fabian Dirks
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male
Number of posts : 766
Registration date : 2009-01-07

The devil arrived - M. insignitus Empty
PostSubject: The devil arrived - M. insignitus   The devil arrived - M. insignitus Icon_minitimeSun 14 Nov - 2:53

The snake with most character I ever have... really bad attitude
But one of the nicest

The devil arrived - M. insignitus Insign10
Back to top Go down
http://www.rear-fanged.com
Bob Herrington
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: The devil arrived - M. insignitus   The devil arrived - M. insignitus Icon_minitimeSun 14 Nov - 5:27

I think the attitude shows in the picture. We are these native to?
Back to top Go down
Ro vd Bergh
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Ro vd Bergh

Male
Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: The devil arrived - M. insignitus   The devil arrived - M. insignitus Icon_minitimeSun 14 Nov - 5:49

Yeah, Malpolon is psycho. Shocked Very Happy

Quite a looker.

Cheers, Ro.
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male

PostSubject: Re: The devil arrived - M. insignitus   The devil arrived - M. insignitus Icon_minitimeSun 14 Nov - 6:17

This sp. / ssp. is native to north africa and a little part of southern europe.

http://www.rear-fanged.com/malpolon.html

I got some Malpolon moilensis,too.

Will upload pics soon.
Back to top Go down
Peter van Issem
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Peter van Issem

Male
Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2009-03-08

PostSubject: Re: The devil arrived - M. insignitus   The devil arrived - M. insignitus Icon_minitimeSun 14 Nov - 15:33

Yes,
nice and sometimes very bad! And ever you want to catch them - to fast!
One time I´ve observed the hunting behaviour of them (on cyprus). The hunt like a flash....
Very nice Genus, with the strongest eyes.
Back to top Go down
Daniel Claesson
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Daniel Claesson

Male
Number of posts : 454
Registration date : 2009-05-16

PostSubject: Re: The devil arrived - M. insignitus   The devil arrived - M. insignitus Icon_minitimeSun 14 Nov - 16:06

WOW ! Nice..

I keep the Genus to and they can be a handful.

I have Malpolon monspessulanus fuscus if i remember correct, two males so i'm looking for a female to buy or trade with one of my males.

Best Regards
Daniel Claesson
Back to top Go down
Bostjan Kraner
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Bostjan Kraner

Male
Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: The devil arrived - M. insignitus   The devil arrived - M. insignitus Icon_minitimeMon 15 Nov - 0:20

Realy nice colour. I like dark coloured snakes. Very similar to Coluber species.

Regards, BKK
Back to top Go down
Martti Niskanen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Martti Niskanen

Male
Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: The devil arrived - M. insignitus   The devil arrived - M. insignitus Icon_minitimeTue 16 Nov - 7:04

I used to keep M. monspessulanus. Crazy things that can properly scare you even when small. Not to mention when they grow up.
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male

PostSubject: Re: The devil arrived - M. insignitus   The devil arrived - M. insignitus Icon_minitimeTue 16 Nov - 19:31

Have you pictures of your specimen?
Back to top Go down
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: The devil arrived - M. insignitus   The devil arrived - M. insignitus Icon_minitimeTue 16 Nov - 23:18

love snakes with attitude! Malpolon monspessulanus and Coluber jugularis was freaking me out in Bulgarian on a field trip, back in the early 80's! never kept some (specialized food items etc.) but they are always in my heart (can you believe that i still remembered their scientific name??)

cheers
M.
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomland.org
Rainer Fesser
Systematicus
Systematicus

Male
Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2008-03-13

PostSubject: Re: The devil arrived - M. insignitus   The devil arrived - M. insignitus Icon_minitimeWed 17 Nov - 4:04

Hello Dirk,
Your Malpolon is a beauty. I absolutely like the dark ones
I fell in love with Malpolon monspessulanus / insignitus when I got my first ones – 6, hatchling-size, wc – from Tunisia in 1969, sand-colored, by far not as beautiful as yours. They ate pinkies from the first day, were calm from the second day and tame within a few days. Whenever I opened the terrarium, they would come towards me, crawl on my hands and later arms and shoulders. And each of them was a personality of her own. Their offspring behaved in the same way, most of them took pinkies from the beginning, causing much less feeding problems than many cornsnakes.
I later had a similar experience with one big (2,2m) wc. specimen from Morocco (calming down within a few days but never getting as tame as my others) and some (fuscus) that I took home from Dalmatia for watching them in a terrarium for a while (releasing them again later where I had caught them). They fought viciously when I caught them but already after a day in a bag (for transport) there was hardly any defense left when I handled them. Only a half grown one from Montenegro did not calm down at all.
Like Peter writes, catching them is a challenge, mostly leaving you as the loser. If you can catch one it´s mostly by luck.
In Dalmatia I could watch a big one hunting and catching a young rabbit and a smaller one (about 1,2m) catching a big Lacerta trilineata. Moving like lightning, hitting like an explosion.

I hope you´ll find a partner for her/him, breed them and be lucky to get the young ones calm.
Rainer
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male

PostSubject: Re: The devil arrived - M. insignitus   The devil arrived - M. insignitus Icon_minitimeWed 17 Nov - 4:48

Thx Rainer,

to find a partner should be a problem, but I go ahead to find one within the next year. If I do not find an importer, I will import some snakes on my own, so I cross my fingers to breed them.
Maybe this snakes will calm down, if I build up the new cage and feed him some times. If anybody knows a nice lady, just let me know Twisted Evil

cheers Fabian

Back to top Go down
Kelly Chabak
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Kelly Chabak

Female
Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2010-09-29

PostSubject: Re: The devil arrived - M. insignitus   The devil arrived - M. insignitus Icon_minitimeThu 18 Nov - 4:55

Fabian,

Thats a great looking snake. How large will it get? If it has a bad attitude, and its big, you are really going to have your hands full. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male

PostSubject: Re: The devil arrived - M. insignitus   The devil arrived - M. insignitus Icon_minitimeThu 18 Nov - 14:58

At the moment about 1,2m and Malpolon sp. can raise up to 2m. I ordered a hide box , so there is not often the problem to handle this snake. It is a problem because he doesn´t stay on 2 hooks and if I tail him it is possible but he is very fast and strong with his movement ( stress for both). I don´t want to fix him every time while I am cleaning, so a hide box is a good compromise.
Back to top Go down
Rainer Fesser
Systematicus
Systematicus

Male

PostSubject: Re: The devil arrived - M. insignitus   The devil arrived - M. insignitus Icon_minitimeThu 18 Nov - 15:08

Hello Kelly,

these Malpolon can reach a bit over 7 ft (2,2m.) in length but usually stay much smaller. Normal size is 4-5 ft (1,2-1,5m.), my Tunisian ones never grew bigger than 3 1/2 ft though they were raised in captivity under good conditions and grew quite old. All adults from that population that I´ve ever seen were relatively small, the biggest Malpolon I´ve seen were from Morocco.
Back to top Go down
Kelly Chabak
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Kelly Chabak

Female

PostSubject: Re: The devil arrived - M. insignitus   The devil arrived - M. insignitus Icon_minitimeFri 19 Nov - 0:58

Hi Rainer,

So I guess the moral here is NOT to have your hands full at all because that's a significant amount of uncooperative snake. Wink
Back to top Go down
Peter van Issem
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Peter van Issem

Male
Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2009-03-08

PostSubject: Re: The devil arrived - M. insignitus   The devil arrived - M. insignitus Icon_minitimeFri 19 Nov - 1:28

Hi Fabian,
from wich location is your one? Maby there are some other people that keep or breed them. It will be helpfull to know where was the origin of this one, so that you can get the right partner for it.
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male

PostSubject: Re: The devil arrived - M. insignitus   The devil arrived - M. insignitus Icon_minitimeFri 19 Nov - 2:21

The snakes comes from an Egypt export. It is a Malpolon insignitus fuscus after new taxonomic changes.

rgds Fabian
Back to top Go down
Rainer Fesser
Systematicus
Systematicus

Male

PostSubject: Re: The devil arrived - M. insignitus   The devil arrived - M. insignitus Icon_minitimeFri 19 Nov - 2:53

Hello Fabian,

eastern N-Africa clears up a lot for me. I don´t know why I thought this animal was from Morocco (maybe from one of your PMs or the specie´s name) but looking at the photo I always was sure it is from N-E-Africa or even S-E. Europe.
All Moroccan specimens that I´ve seen up to now looked really different concerning their heads.

Hello Kelly,

So I guess the moral here is NOT to have your hands full at all because that's a significant amount of uncooperative snake. - Those I kept (apart from one) were absolutely cooperative. I only had to pick most of them from my shoulders and gently put them back into their terraria when I had to clean,... them.
I never met any snakes that would learn so quickly like this species. When I watched Vipera ammodytes for several days in a row in Croatia, in one occasion I sat in a place close to the morning-basking spot of a Malpolon monsp (or insignitus) fuscus. Normal flight-distance in adults of this species is about 5m. It was the same here, but from the third day on the snake would stay less than 1m (3ft) beside me, watching me but not even moving away when I stood up. Usually flight in this species means: off like lightning, stopping after a few meters, looking at you and if you move towards the snake: off again, if you dont move towards her or do just something else she will watch you and relax. Maybe she "knows" that you have no chance to get her as long as she can see you starting.

This is one of the most interesting species of snakes in my opinion.

I hope Fabian will be able to keep us updated about his specimen and hopefully specimens.

Cheers,
Rainer
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male

PostSubject: Re: The devil arrived - M. insignitus   The devil arrived - M. insignitus Icon_minitimeFri 19 Nov - 2:57

Here is one nice shot

The devil arrived - M. insignitus Malpol10

I first only speak from M.insignitus because I was not sure about ssp.
Back to top Go down
Kelly Chabak
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Kelly Chabak

Female

PostSubject: Re: The devil arrived - M. insignitus   The devil arrived - M. insignitus Icon_minitimeFri 19 Nov - 21:44

Fabian: Awesome photo as always!
Rainer: Thanks for the info Very Happy They are really cool looking. You should post some pictures of them.
Back to top Go down
Joao Monteiro

Male
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: The devil arrived - M. insignitus   The devil arrived - M. insignitus Icon_minitimeFri 19 Nov - 23:29

Very nice Malpolon, Fabian. Congratulations !

We have a lot of M. monspessulanus in Portugal and they are quite a treat !

I have been giving some practical snake handling sessions to the Portuguese (countryside) police - in cooperation with the Portuguese Institute of Conservation of Nature - and it´s always funny to see how they "complain" about the calls they get regarding Malpolons: whenever people call and say "I have a big snake in my car/yard near the chicken/bathroom/whatever..." it´s 90% of the times a Malpolon.

And they usually don´t just go away.. . first they try to keep a safe distance and then puff and whislte really high and stand up like a cobra. They always put an act ! and bite quite a lot as well, eheh

I remember in the last session a policeman telling me after receiving a call from a lady that said she had a snake in her jeep (SUV), they had to call a mecanic to dismantle the engine and other parts of the jeep because the big (2m+) Malpolon got inside it and refused to come out. It moved from the engine to the tubs of the car structure and it was a full day job to persuade it to come out.

As soon as it finally did, the first action the snake took was to bite and start chewing the policeman´s boot. It was easy to catch it afterwards and it was relocated safely.
After that, it took several hours more to put the jeep together again, lol

Amazing animals.
Back to top Go down
Rainer Fesser
Systematicus
Systematicus

Male

PostSubject: Re: The devil arrived - M. insignitus   The devil arrived - M. insignitus Icon_minitimeSat 20 Nov - 6:03

Fabian: A very good shot, clearly presenting the eye and the typical shape of the head.

Kelly: I have only very old (35 years) color-slides of my Tunisian ones. They never were very good and lost quality with age. I´ll dig them out and scan them. Fabian´s specimen is much nicer.

Joao: A good and typical story about Malpolon monsp. (and insignitus) if they get cornered. No chance to escape means immediate attack (better: defense).
You are absolutely right, they are amazing.
Back to top Go down
Rainer Fesser
Systematicus
Systematicus

Male

PostSubject: Re: The devil arrived - M. insignitus   The devil arrived - M. insignitus Icon_minitimeMon 22 Nov - 5:25

Hello,

here´s a photo of one of the Tunisian Malpolon insignitus that I had for many years. The other snake is a Psammophylax rhombeatus.

The devil arrived - M. insignitus Malpol10
Back to top Go down
Marios Vergetopoulos

Male
Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2010-07-28

PostSubject: Re: The devil arrived - M. insignitus   The devil arrived - M. insignitus Icon_minitimeMon 22 Nov - 7:33

these snakes are very common here in Greece.they are voracius feeders and powerfull constrictors and excellent racers.

they prey upon anything that moves and take down easily vipers.from fieled observations here are natural controllers of vipera ammodytes populations like dolichophis caspius.

they can feed properly in captivity among thawed mice and rats while rodents are part of their diet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The devil arrived - M. insignitus   The devil arrived - M. insignitus Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The devil arrived - M. insignitus
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next