VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana)

Go down 
+2
Carsten Frömberg
Alexander Ang
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Alexander Ang
Alexander Ang

Male
Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2010-12-08

Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana) Empty
PostSubject: Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana)   Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana) Icon_minitimeFri 10 Dec - 2:56

Here are some pictures of "Midnight" my Naja sumatrana which I gave away to a snake wrangler friend who uses snakes in films
Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana) MidnightPhoto

Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana) Darknight

Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana) Midair

Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana) HoodShot2

This is an old pic of Midnight when it came to us as a juvenile
Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana) BabyMifnight

Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana) MidnightProfile
...a little bigger after 8 months the enclosure before had a decorative skull which he liked to hide in. So transfers for cleaning were quite easy since it wouldn't leave the skull until he/she outgrew it.

Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana) ShotsofMidnight4
...just over a year...

Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana) TheNight27

Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana) TheNight29

Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana) TheNight24

A vid capture of a kill

These were some of the last pics I took of its setup before giving it away.
Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana) MidnightOct09

Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana) Nightrider4

Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana) Nightrider3

This is another specimen of the same species which I caught in Borneo while visiting... I had to release this one since I was returning to KL back then.
Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana) Beauty3
This one however was a full-grown adult roughly 6ft, and was the first cobra I ever caught by myself while road-herping
Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana) Beauty2
Back to top Go down
Carsten Frömberg
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana)   Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana) Icon_minitimeFri 10 Dec - 16:09

Sorry...but the cages are really bad for such nice snakes. No
Back to top Go down
Richard Mastenbroek
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male
Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana)   Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana) Icon_minitimeFri 10 Dec - 20:35

Very nice species, but I agree with Carsten.

A cage so open on all sides can be very stress full for the animal kept in there. The style of decoration is just a choice the cobra would not mind if there is a skull with coloured stones or a live plant with bark in his terrarium.
More hiding spots and things to climb on he will appreciate I think.

For the snake absolutly mindblowing gorgous. It is a real nice specimen.

cheers

Richard
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingsnake.com/elapids
Alexander Ang
Alexander Ang

Male

PostSubject: Re: Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana)   Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana) Icon_minitimeSat 11 Dec - 1:26

I appreciate the critique and I concur with the assessment... it was my first hot though... and due to my limited experience, I was advised by a more experienced comrade to keep it simple to ease in maintenance chores... will try better next round.
Back to top Go down
Peter van Issem
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Peter van Issem

Male
Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2009-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana)   Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana) Icon_minitimeSat 11 Dec - 2:37

Hi Alex,
I like this Form of sumatrana, but a little more the yello phase of it.
Not very comon in european collections.
All the years, I visited Malaysia I see only one black sumatrana. It came out of the forest and cross the road. I take a fast break with the car and stand beside the road. But before I can jump out of the car, an other car passes me by and roll over the snake. What a pitty.... Next time I hope for more succes.
Back to top Go down
Randy Ciuros
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Randy Ciuros

Male
Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana)   Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana) Icon_minitimeSat 11 Dec - 22:12

Hey Alex,

Beautiful specimen. I'm supposed to be getting some black Naja sumatrana in about 6 weeks from our man in Malaysia. I am the person in the USA that produces the yellows, and I really love them. They, along with Naja oxiana, have the best personallity of any Cobra I have kept or heard about.

Peter,

A friend in Germany says he has sold 3 pairs of my CB'10 yellow Naja sumatrana to people in Europe. I have decided to part with another CB'10 female that I was keeping back, and I hope to have 3 clutches this year, so maybe more people in Europe can keep these beautiful specimens.

Randy
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomstreet.com
Peter van Issem
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Peter van Issem

Male

PostSubject: Re: Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana)   Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana) Icon_minitimeSat 11 Dec - 23:00

Yes Randy,
I´ve seen that classified in that german forum some weeks ago. The are realy nice!
Back to top Go down
Randy Ciuros
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Randy Ciuros

Male

PostSubject: Re: Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana)   Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana) Icon_minitimeSat 11 Dec - 23:24

Thanks Peter,

They are nice as babies, but nothing compared to when they reach maturity. The problem is, it's very hard to tell how they will turn out as adults. Meaning how much brown speckling they will have. All are bright/light yellow as adults, but there was one male that I kept from 2009 that happened to be much darker than his clutchmates and all others produced before and after him.

Randy

Last edited by Randy Ciuros on Sat 11 Dec - 23:58; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Peter van Issem
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Peter van Issem

Male

PostSubject: Re: Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana)   Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana) Icon_minitimeSat 11 Dec - 23:30

Thanks for that Information about this. I´m personaly don´t keeped Naja any more. But I love the asian ones a lot. I´m always happy when I found one in the wild. So, I hope for more succes to find a sumatrana in the future!
Back to top Go down
Randy Ciuros
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Randy Ciuros

Male

PostSubject: Re: Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana)   Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana) Icon_minitimeSun 12 Dec - 1:31

I used to keep many species of African Cobras, as well as Pseudonaja textilis, Pseudechis rossignolli (just sold my adult proven breeders), Pseudechis papuanus, and Acantophis sp., but I really love the Asian Cobras, including King Cobras most, so I have sold off all the PNG/Irian Jaya Elapids and African Cobras except a trio of N. haje. I plan to keep and try to breed Kraits, and I just acquired a pair of Bungarus candidus. I also keep a CB'99 Bitis g. rhinoceros and a big, and very old Crotalus adamanteus/atrox cross that I got in a group that I purchased in Jan. 1999. I will just keep the Bitis and Crotalus until they die.

Below is a photo of the darker male CB'09 N. sumatrana I mentioned in the earlier post, and then the CB'10 female that I am willing to part with. You can see that the male is still fairly yellow, but he should be more yellow than he is. He will get more yellow, but never as much as my stock usually does. The female still looks a little orange, but she will be a beautiful specimen as an adult. The third photo is of their father

Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana) SumY-010-09-M_1

Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana) SumY-011-10-F_1

Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana) SumY-002-M
Back to top Go down
Alexander Ang
Alexander Ang

Male

PostSubject: Re: Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana)   Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana) Icon_minitimeSun 12 Dec - 23:22

Thanks for the comment guys.... In Borneo, we only have Naja sumatrana and Opiophagus hannah, and since I'm setting up this urban snake rescue community service, I'm fairly certain I will be finding some again. I just had some concerns about spitters... the fact that dried venom residue on the glass aquarium may cause allergic reactions when potentially inhaled...

Can anyone tell me more about this? or link me to the thread that elaborates more on this subject... much appreciated

Thanks and best regards.
Back to top Go down
Randy Ciuros
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Randy Ciuros

Male

PostSubject: Re: Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana)   Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana) Icon_minitimeMon 13 Dec - 0:03

I have heard of people having allergic reactions when cleaning venom residue off glass, but I have never experienced it myself. Some people have reactions when they get venom spat on their skin, but I think that they are in the minority. I get spit on all the time, but not usually by N. sumatrana. I think they spit the least of any spitter.

I've never heard of people having a reaction to inhaling venom residue. If you scrape dried venom off glass, there is a chance that it will be in the air and it can get in your eyes, and it will sting a little, but not bad. If you spray the glass with water or better yet glass cleaner, and then wipe the venom off, there should be no problem. If you have an open cut on your hand and you get venom in it, it can cause a problem, but a fairly minor one in most instances. If that may be a problem, wear rubber gloves and spray the venom with a liquid before cleaning it off the glass. That will stop any possibilities of inhalation or getting particles in your eyes.

Last edited by Randy Ciuros on Mon 13 Dec - 2:43; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Stefan Anthonijsz
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Stefan Anthonijsz

Male
Number of posts : 556
Registration date : 2009-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana)   Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana) Icon_minitimeMon 13 Dec - 0:47

Niek Hofman from here had to sell his black necked spitters because of allergic reactions, maybe you can contact him Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana)   Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Black Equatorial Spitter (Naja sumatrana)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VenomLand :: Elapidae :: Naja-
Jump to: