VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Homalopsinae

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Alexander Ang
Alexander Ang

Male
Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2010-12-08

Homalopsinae Empty
PostSubject: Homalopsinae   Homalopsinae Icon_minitimeFri 10 Dec - 4:42

Homalopsinae Birdseye
While I was living in KL, I managed to culture a communal semi-aquatic vivarium for 3 species of Homalopsines or Asian Water Snakes. Not wanting to pretend that I'm an expert om these of any sort, I must disclaim that the information here is largely based on my own personal experience.

Homalopsinae MiracleGrow3
What appears to be a laboriously planted semi-aquatic vivarium is nothing of the sort
Homalopsinae MiracleGrow
though the journey to achieve this was no less laborious.
Homalopsinae NaturalGrowth6
No plant-matter was actually planted onto the wood by hand at all.
Homalopsinae NaturalGrowth2
I'll try my best to explain how this was achieved but I cannot guarantee that this is replicable. This was truly a result of trial by fire and consequential error.

Homalopsinae SWOct09
Basics Stats:
3ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft Aquarium with Custom Carpentered Lid
Semi-Aquatic setup; Fine Gravel+Aquarium Sand Substrate
Homalopsinae NaturalGrowth
Broken Ceramic Pots and Assorted Driftwood pieces assembled to extend 'dry' surface area;
Homalopsinae Waterfallplumbea
Submerged Internal Filter with overhanging outlet to drip or fountain head
Homalopsinae Tendrils1
Extensive History of Attempts to Incorporate Live Aquatic Plants; Live Plant Catered Aquarium Lighting; Initially regular and Arduous water changes on a weekly to a monthly basis.

Homalopsinae SerpentsDen
Two (originally 3) co-habitable Asian Water Snake species from the Homalopsinae sub-family of colubrids (back-fanged; mildly venomous; non-toxic to humans without hypo-allergic sensitivities)

Homalopsinae LuciferX
Enhydris plumbea (Yellow-Bellied/Olive Water Snake) 2 surviving specimens from a total of 4

Homalopsinae Puffedeye
Homalopsis bucatta (Masked/Puff-Faced Water Snake) 1 surviving specimen from a total of 3

Homalopsinae RainbowPeeper
Enhydris enhydris (Rainbow Water Snake) previously included; no surviving specimens of 5

Homalopsinae TwineRumble3
At one point a total of 9 snakes (3 of each species) marked the stretched accommodated limit of this size enclosure (not intentional or ideal but I had snakes just dropping in from friends and herping trips)

Homalopsinae BlueDragon
Various Feeder fish varieties were replenished as stocks were effectively eaten.
Homalopsinae Itwasntme
Glass/Ghost Shrimp were spored to breakdown detritus for plant-life absorption; Live Bacterial Culture added on various occasions

Homalopsinae BlueOcean
Severe re-occurring White-Spot Fungus parasite contracted from wild-caught non-quarantined snakes and/or infected feeder fish has been effectively subdued into remission via extensive and pervasive chemical treatment over an extended period of time; hence the ocean blue hue to the water in some pics (I know how some may feel about chemicals but I had no alternatives available to me).

Homalopsinae Goldielog
Occasionally I noticed that green moss would take root on this particular driftwood whenever the drizzle made frequent contact with it to which I adhered no pretentious expectations. Overtime, through my peripheral labors I noticed that this sprouted through no will of my own

Homalopsinae Bluegarden
I was actually wondering how long it will prevail and it eventually withered out but in its place, this miraculously grew

Homalopsinae NaturalGrowth3
I pressed some wads of forest moss by the driftwood against the glass in hopes that it will provide more ample basking spots for the snakes.

Homalopsinae MiracleGrow2
Uncannily, the decaying matter which I initially feared would foul the water actually provided nutrients for healthy vegetation.
Additionally, at some point, I had discarded the fountain head for a more direct trickle flow which touched the initial moss-prone driftwood.

Homalopsinae MiracleGrow4
Ultimately, a re-utilized light from another defunct planted tank sparked the sudden mass explosion of life. Since this, no major water change is apparently necessary. I only need to add fresh water that has been loss through evaporation

Homalopsinae Docking
My 'methods' or rather unintentional courses of action have not come without steep price; and some may perceive my resolves amateurish.

Homalopsinae Colossus
Many of the snakes I loss to the disease were individuals I could pick out from a mixed bag, each one I grew unerringly fond of, and despaired at their passing; despite the fact on one occasion, one of them clamped down on my fish-smelling index finger without relent.

Homalopsinae AustinShot
I had to gently pry the jaws open, and extract a half-inch long fang out from my flesh. I don't recall toxic effects from the bite; which left me with no loss of adoration for them.
Homalopsinae Puffers

I guess what urged me to persevere in spite of the numerous complications I endured in the keeping of this tank; is nothing more than a picture in my head that I dreamed up as a young boy.
Homalopsinae PuffersLurk
To be in awe of their grace as they glide effortlessly through the water, like mythical dragons of the deep.
Homalopsinae BlueWaterCave.

The only source that provided sufficient guidance and help was www.acrochordus.com or alternatively www.homalopsinae.com. My time with these snakes has been nothing short of dream come true, and then some...
Homalopsinae PuffedChin
From this experience, I gained along with many other things, certainty that whatever it is you envisioned in life, no matter how trivial, seemingly unimportant, or perversely absurd as the tantalizing sight of slithering waters is without a doubt... nothing short of achievable.

Among the snakes that have persisted through it all to the very end, was the very first water snake I ever acquired as a neonate; a little Enhydris plumbea named Lucifer. All things of beauty that have come to pass like us will never last. But, I consider myself fortunate to have had them, while they were here.

I hope you found this an interesting or entertaining read.

Cheers and best regards
AA
Back to top Go down
Bob Herrington
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Homalopsinae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homalopsinae   Homalopsinae Icon_minitimeFri 10 Dec - 8:35

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting specimens. What kinds of problems did you have with them?
Back to top Go down
Jon Davidson
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Jon Davidson

Male
Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2009-02-28

Homalopsinae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homalopsinae   Homalopsinae Icon_minitimeFri 10 Dec - 8:36

An excellent read and photo-essay, Mr. Ang. Homalopsinae are fantastic little snakes. Here's a link that might be of possible interest: http://venomdoc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2805&start=0 (I had never seen such defensive behaviour from a snake before). Thank you for posting this; and Welcome to the site. Sincerely, Jon Davidson .
Back to top Go down
Alexander Ang
Alexander Ang

Male

Homalopsinae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homalopsinae   Homalopsinae Icon_minitimeFri 10 Dec - 8:53

Thanks guys... the problem I had with them periodically was a white-spot fungus parasite which typically attacks fish... I presume that they may have contracted it from contaminated feeder fish stock from a questionable source. Nonetheless it is curable in the early stages if treated with a good dose of standard white-spot fungus medicine.

Cheers and best regards and thanks for the link Mr Davidson Sir. The author of that PDF was the only online info I found on them back when I was keeping them.

I hope to build a similar but larger scale setup soon now that I'm in Borneo... hopefully I'll manage to find these species again since they do occur here. Additionally, I'm keen to search for Enhydris gyii; reputed to be the only snake with chameleon like color-changing abilities

Cheers and best regards
Back to top Go down
Jon Davidson
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Jon Davidson

Male

Homalopsinae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homalopsinae   Homalopsinae Icon_minitimeFri 10 Dec - 9:19

Alexander Ang wrote:

I hope to build a similar but larger scale setup soon now that I'm in Borneo... hopefully I'll manage to find these species again since they do occur here. Additionally, I'm keen to search for Enhydris gyii; reputed to be the only snake with chameleon like color-changing abilities

Thank you for your kind words, Mr. Ang; although I should point out that I have not yet been Knighted(wink). Seriously, such deference is always the mark of a Gentleman. If you can, Please keep us updated on any future projects with these snakes- especially this very intriguing sounding Enhydris gyii. Just out of curiosity, Do you have any interest in, or experience keeping Erpeton tentaculatus? Again, Thank you, Mr. Ang for starting a very interesting Thread. Sincerely, Jon Davidson .
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male
Number of posts : 766
Registration date : 2009-01-07

Homalopsinae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homalopsinae   Homalopsinae Icon_minitimeFri 10 Dec - 14:42

You made my day. Glad to see such rare species in captivity.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rear-fanged.com
Alexander Ang
Alexander Ang

Male

Homalopsinae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homalopsinae   Homalopsinae Icon_minitimeTue 14 Dec - 16:45

Jon Davidson wrote:
Do you have any interest in, or experience keeping Erpeton tentaculatus? Again, Thank you, Mr. Ang for starting a very interesting Thread. Sincerely, Jon Davidson .

Erpeton tentaculatum? Why most definetly Mr Davidson (Sir, to address an elder in respect). I was very keen on acquiring them while in KL.... but unfortunately I believe they are not native to Borneo... I myself have reservations about introducing foreign species to an island environment due to the ecological damage they may cause to unique indigenous species populations. But I think this species can be kept with little chance of escape occurring provided that proper measures are applied to prevent this. Thus I would welcome any chance of importing a pair for captive breeding stock. Keeping this species would be a dream come true!

Another Homalopsine species I would love to acquire one day would be Enhydris bocourti. In my long-list of herpetological ambitions would be a large semi-aquatic exhibit consisting of ample habitat niches to accommodate a community of various Homalopsines; reflecting the diversity of water-snake fauna found in the Ton-le Sap.

Thanks again...
Back to top Go down
Jon Davidson
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Jon Davidson

Male

Homalopsinae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homalopsinae   Homalopsinae Icon_minitimeThu 24 Mar - 23:13

An interesting video clip on the Tentacled Snake(Erpeton tentaculatus); Please refer to: http://www.scientificamerican.com/video.cfm?lineup=1406165298&id=847106605001 Sincerely, Jon Davidson .
Back to top Go down
Jon Davidson
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Jon Davidson

Male

Homalopsinae Empty
PostSubject: Additional...   Homalopsinae Icon_minitimeSat 26 Mar - 19:21

A publication on homalopsid snakes that could be of possible interest to members like myself who are not too familiar with these snakes is: 'Homalopsid Snakes, Evolution in the Mud', by John C. Murphy. 2007. Krieger Publishing Company. 260 pps. Colour photographs and good quality black and white illustrations. Illustrated key. Species Accounts. Range maps. Bibliography. ISBN #: 1-57524-259-1(Go to: http://www.krieger-publishing.com and follow the links to 'subject listing'; then to Herpetology). Sincerely, Jon Davidson .
Back to top Go down
Gustav Eloy
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Gustav Eloy

Male
Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2010-09-09

Homalopsinae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homalopsinae   Homalopsinae Icon_minitimeFri 29 Apr - 5:05

fantastic job man, don´t you have problems with the wood, because of th water??? did you do something with them to resist underwater ??

great vivarium man, congrats
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Homalopsinae Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homalopsinae   Homalopsinae Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Homalopsinae
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VenomLand :: Colubridae :: other Rear-fanged Snakes...-
Jump to: