VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted.

Go down 
+11
Ari Finsk
Arjan Breedveld
Albert J. Montejo
Walter Silva
Martti Niskanen
Robert Adamski
Jaroslav Karhánek
Michael Jonasson
Graeme Skinner
Brian Cornelius
Mirco Kempter
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mirco Kempter
Mirco Kempter

Male
Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-11-22

Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted. Empty
PostSubject: Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted.   Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted. Icon_minitimeSat 26 Feb - 7:31

Mirco Kempter has deleted his images.

Last edited by Mirco Kempter on Mon 14 May - 23:16; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Brian Cornelius

Male
Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2011-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted.   Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted. Icon_minitimeSat 26 Feb - 10:31

Stunning.
Back to top Go down
Graeme Skinner
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Graeme Skinner

Male
Number of posts : 466
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted.   Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted. Icon_minitimeSat 26 Feb - 15:58

Very nice and not a species I am familiar with.

Keep the images coming
Back to top Go down
Michael Jonasson
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Michael Jonasson

Male
Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2009-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted.   Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted. Icon_minitimeSat 26 Feb - 19:14

My oh My...i think i just fell in love. Thats stunning Smile
Back to top Go down
Jaroslav Karhánek
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Jaroslav Karhánek

Male
Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2009-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted.   Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted. Icon_minitimeSat 26 Feb - 19:44

Stunning snake!
Back to top Go down
http://www.bushmaster.estranky.cz/
Robert Adamski

Male
Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2010-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted.   Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted. Icon_minitimeSun 27 Feb - 5:46

Great looking animal, post some more pictures if you can:)
Back to top Go down
Martti Niskanen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Martti Niskanen

Male
Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted.   Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted. Icon_minitimeSun 27 Feb - 6:10

Beautiful.
Back to top Go down
Walter Silva
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Walter Silva

Male
Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2009-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted.   Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted. Icon_minitimeTue 1 Mar - 13:12

Mirco:

very nice snake...

thx for sharing.

Greetings from Incas´Land !
Back to top Go down
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male
Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2011-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted.   Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted. Icon_minitimeTue 1 Mar - 17:02

Mirco , an exceptional specimen/s.
Back to top Go down
Arjan Breedveld
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Arjan Breedveld

Male
Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2010-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted.   Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted. Icon_minitimeThu 3 Mar - 8:05

So beautifull!
We really know to little about them, don't we?

The adult in the 4th picture looks super strong and healthy.
Back to top Go down
Mirco Kempter
Mirco Kempter

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted.   Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted. Icon_minitimeThu 3 Mar - 10:11

Mirco Kempter has deleted his post.

Last edited by Mirco Kempter on Mon 14 May - 23:17; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Ari Finsk
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male
Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2009-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted.   Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted. Icon_minitimeThu 3 Mar - 17:26

It looks so great that it went staight to my wishlist ... great pics btw.
Back to top Go down
Arjan Breedveld
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Arjan Breedveld

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted.   Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted. Icon_minitimeFri 4 Mar - 7:37

Thanks Mirco for clearing that up!
That's a whopper, 110 cm in 17 months allready.
How long are they in general?

Greetings Arjan.
Back to top Go down
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted.   Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted. Icon_minitimeFri 4 Mar - 16:04

Hello Arjan, The Speckled forest Pit-viper is about as long as the average man is tall in Zurich Switzerland, this is an average as very few specimen have been recorded, .
There venom properties are mainly hemotoxic, the western forms of Bothriopsis taenieata differ in having little to no coagulating factors in the mix.
First cousins of Bothriopsis bilineata, arboreal with prehensile tails, extremely long fang length, LD 50 unknown ?.
Zoobotanicals (me) in Miami produced a litter of the western form of Bothriopsis taenieata in 2010 and their growth is in line with Dr. Kempters report.
Their true colors are difficult to reproduce on film and Mirco failed to capture their 24carat gold speckling through out its olive green length, hence giving this speciemen the nickname of estrellita (little stars) in the region where they are found in the Amazonian foothills of Ecuador.
Back to top Go down
Arjan Breedveld
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Arjan Breedveld

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted.   Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted. Icon_minitimeFri 4 Mar - 20:02

That's verry welcome information Albert,

that is rather a large snake then, wow.
Maybe if Mirco doesn't minde (his topic), would it be possible for Albert to include some pictures of his animals? I would love it.

What I find amazing is the diversity of snakes.
You wuold think that a couple of species would dominate at on place in time.
But that just is not the case.

These taeniata are verry yellow in collor, i know there are other collorations.
Anyone?

Thanks,
Arjan.
Back to top Go down
Mirco Kempter
Mirco Kempter

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted.   Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted. Icon_minitimeFri 4 Mar - 20:35

I'd say 140cm is a good average size for an adult specimen in the wild. The biggest specimen ever caught measured 180cm. In captivity such lengths are reached pretty easily by females.

The head is large and the fangs are exceptional! To give you an idea here a link to a short video clip somewhere on the internet.
http://en.clipdealer.com/video/media/62429

What concerns the challenge of capturing the gold speckling.. I think it's even more difficult than taking photographs of Protobothrops mangshanensis. I'll try to post some more detailed pictures later on.

About its venom: Here's a case report of an envenomation in Brazil, admittedly with very poor information only. Be aware that this is an example of a mild envenomation, the outcome can be a lot worse!
http://www.scielo.br/pdf/rsbmt/v42n3/v42n3a20.pdf

Last edited by Mirco Kempter on Thu 19 May - 5:00; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Mirco Kempter
Mirco Kempter

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted.   Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted. Icon_minitimeFri 4 Mar - 21:40

@ Arjan: What concerns the colouring of B. t. taeniata you have to differentiate between specimens of western and eastern South America (see the distribution map linked below).

http://zoologia.puce.edu.ec/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=14188

The western colour morph is coloured like the specimen on the pictures shown above. Of course there is a wide variation - there are specimens which are pretty dark to almost black with just a few yellow lines remaining and there are others with predominantly yellow, beige or creamy white parts.
The eastern colour morph is even more mutable; from gray to rusty brown to bright green..

Last edited by Mirco Kempter on Thu 19 May - 5:03; edited 7 times in total
Back to top Go down
Mirco Kempter
Mirco Kempter

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted.   Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted. Icon_minitimeFri 4 Mar - 22:39

To give you an idea of the colour morphs of B. t. taeniata..

Specimen from Puyo, Pastaza, Ecuador
(this is quite a good picture in regard to the gold speckling)
http://zoologia.puce.edu.ec/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=18452

Specimen from Macuma, Morona-Santiago, Ecuador
http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?enlarge=0000+0000+0208+1594

Specimen from Cláudia, Mato Grosso, Brazil
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9804034@N04/4895429403/

Specimen from Lower Cristalino River Region, Mato Grosso, Brazil
http://www.snomnh.ou.edu/personnel/herpetology/vitt/Cerrado/Cristalino/Largephotos/B_taeniata_11496-6.jpg
Back to top Go down
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted.   Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted. Icon_minitimeSat 5 Mar - 2:52

Remember one thing Dr. Kempter before Campbell and Lamar's new version of Venomous Reptiles-Western Hemisphere only 5 eastern Bothriopsis taenieata were ever imported or even witnessed alive at least in the United States herpetological history as per Dutchman (Theo Henzen's pers. comm. )and these were subsequently purchased for an undisclosed amount by the Dallas Zoo and kept very quiet.---> Importer Mr. Tom Crutchfield.
This new version of this textbook revealed excellent new species never before witnessed in the modern world alive and some not even dead (top secret) ? of the Bothriopsis family etc. from other less well known herpetological Amazonian "hot spots" and so i would add to value your western amazonian specimen/s as you may very well be the only other "non local" human being on earth with any in captivity.
*Unfortunately Ecuador is now closed to exports for even for scientific reasons.
*Zoobotanicals presently works with Bothriopsis taenieata from three distinct locals.

Back to top Go down
Mirco Kempter
Mirco Kempter

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted.   Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted. Icon_minitimeSat 5 Mar - 5:30

Mirco Kempter has deleted his images.

Last edited by Mirco Kempter on Thu 19 May - 4:41; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Frank Weinsheimer
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Frank Weinsheimer

Male
Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2008-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted.   Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted. Icon_minitimeSat 5 Mar - 6:57

Hey Albert,

in European collections Bothriopsis taeniata is not too rare. A spanish guy is breeding this species constantly since a few years and as far as I know all animals in Europe come from this source. Sadly he breeds only the Ecuadorian form, and the adults do not look that brightly coloured like the juveniles. Mircos animals should turn much darker with time as well. I think the superb green coloured (adult) animals from Suriname and Brazil will stay a dream and will not be available for private collections within the next time.

Best regards

Frank
Back to top Go down
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted.   Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted. Icon_minitimeSat 5 Mar - 7:58

Yes Frank this is so, Mirco informed me of this very talented breeder in Europe and i just sent him some photo slides of my Colombian, Suriname and Brazilian Speckled Forest pitvipers for his world famous magazine and TV show and to be precise mine are from the border of Colombia and Brazil from a port called Tabatinga and Dutch Guyana Suriname.

Frank the beauty of the Speckled forest pit-viper is in the speckling which is hard to see from a photograph and seems no two specimens are alike and yes i believe the Suriname (eastern) form is the rarest as you say.
Their ribbon like body and overall bone structure is exquisite , most are some form of olive green when the flash hits the serpent the speckles fade and the olive converts to earth tone or browns a good challenge for the professional photographers on this forum but youll have to find some one who owns one first, good observation!
Back to top Go down
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted.   Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted. Icon_minitimeSat 5 Mar - 16:42

In addition to this, varied EU collectors have PM me about my comment of the rarity of Bothriopsis taenieata from Ecuador in EU, well before this "talented Spanish breeder" reproduced them, which is the idea no, they were zero in captivity around the modern world and zero in any textbook , virtually unheard of and still there are non in any museum collection except perhaps locally and on loan at a Texas university or perhaps England.
Even the almost extinct mangs with reputed apprx. five hundred left in the habitat are represented in US collection by at least 100 specimens not including EU and Asia so how rare is Bothriopsis taenieata i dont know but there are zero Ecuadorian specimen in the USA today, and zero of any other form/type in any private collection that i am aware of in The United States of America.
Back to top Go down
Mirco Kempter
Mirco Kempter

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted.   Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted. Icon_minitimeSun 6 Mar - 8:33

Mirco Kempter has deleted his post.
Back to top Go down
tarquin noone

Male
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-07-11

PostSubject: ground   Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted. Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jul - 18:17

most pics are of these guys on the ground how arboreal are they? nice snakes by they way. I wish that the were here in the stes alot more.
TQ
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted.   Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bothriopsis taeniata taeniata, images deleted.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next