VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Parias hageni

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Patrik Mattsson

Male
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-04-05

Parias hageni Empty
PostSubject: Parias hageni   Parias hageni Icon_minitimeFri 16 May - 21:41

To start off, this species is actually the one that ever got me into starting with venomous snakes. It was at a reptile tradefair once, when I just saw a glimpse of this beautiful snake that I immediately fell in love with and I was determinded from that moment that I just had to buy some and keep at home.

As all of the species in the genus Parias they are the big (130 cm+) and egglaying snakes within the Trimeresurus complex. As babies they look just the same as juveniles of P. sumatranus. The hagenis doesn't change color as much as the sumatranus does with age. From what I know there are hageni's on Nias island that have more black in the coloration as P. sumatranus has, but I have to this day never seen a specimen that looks like that.

As babies as mentioned above they look almost identically the same as babies of P. sumatranus. What happens instead of gaining black coloration in the scales is that the tail and the small diamonds on the back turns from a pinkish tone into a more nice and red tone. Some keep the pink stripes on the head but usually they also fade away with age or turn blue. The cheeks turn from a yellowish-green color to finally become a stunning mint-blue color! And not just the cheeks turns into this color, also the EYES!!!

Parias hageni Pict0010
The mother of the babies below

I bought a small male at first, it seemed hard to find a female for him. They seem to be pretty rarely captive bred in Europe. I only know a few except me whohas bred them in Europe.
However, after a while I got 1.1 more and then later an additional big female a year later or so. So all in all I kept a group of 2.2. All originating from Bengkulu, Sumatra.

When they were about 3 years old I started to introduce the couples to each other, I saw one couple copulation the 2nd day and the copulation lasted for more than 8 hours.

After i separated them, months went by. Nothing happened, nothing happned, nothing happened. I know that some specimens do have a very long gestation period so i didn't bother too much.
But as I had seen no ovulation, no real increase in girth, I started to suspect the mating hadn't been sucessful. And then! After 127 days as I was going to clean for one of the females, I noticed her holding eggs!!

Parias hageni 20060610
The eggs...

So I quickly took the 13 eggs out and put them in the incubator. I could at once see that 7 eggs were not fertilized and 1 additional turned bad later on.
At a temperature of around 30C, 4 of the eggs had hatched. 2.2 nice and healthy babes had come out after just 34-35 days (3 after 34, 1 after 35)!
The babies were between 23-25 cm's in length at birth, no weight recorded, but it was below 20 kg's! Very Happy

Parias hageni Img_3911
...hatched!

I waited for a few days extra for the last 2 good eggs before i decided to manually opened them.
Inside the last 2 eggs were two dead babies that looked fully developed with the exception that they had a hole in the stomach, it was not the umblicial cord.
So if they were deformed I have no clue about, but I can't rule it out.

Unfortunately my biggest female died, she had a huge number of eggs inside her (22 if I remember right), that didn't have time to develop Sad

Parias hageni Img_4011
Drinking its first drops of water, still with vermiculite on the body...

Parias hageni Img_4013
"What?"

As babies they are very nippy and nearly impossible to feed with anything else than frogs. If you are lucky and patient you can get them to eat pinkies (they are big enough to eat fresh born pinkies at birth). I have spent many, many late nights just to get them to feed on pinkies and quite frankly I don't see the point in it anymore.

Parias hageni Img_4014

Adults are acually hard to get to eat rodents as well at times. They have periods when they eat well, and when they don't. Especially with the males just as with other "Trimi"-males, the males have their off and on periods, so they can be a bit tricky to feed. I would say if not exclusively, you should at least as a complementary food source give them frogs.

So I would like to recommend people that are thinking about buying this species of snake, prior to buying the snakes to aquire and maintain a stable population of feeding frogs.
A good species for this would be the asian species R. leucomystax. A big and easy to take care of foam-nest laying frog that grows pretty big, so big that even adults can eat them all through their adult lifetime.

Parias hageni Pict0110
Rhacophorus leucomystax in the Philippines.

Parias hageni Pict0012
Foam nest of frog species above

Unfortunately I seem to have lost most of the pictures of my adult animals I used to keep, but I hope you at least enjoy these pics!

Parias hageni Pict0013

Petter Albinson likes this post

Back to top Go down
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Parias hageni Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parias hageni   Parias hageni Icon_minitimeFri 16 May - 21:55

Hi Pat - thanks for sharing the picture - and thank you so much for the portrait and nice information about Parias hageni....
also the pic of the Rhacophorus is cool..

i love the shoots of the babies... pretty nice animals...

we miss you here man! come back one time!

ah... welcome at VenomLand!

cheers
Mario
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomland.org
Patrik Mattsson

Male
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-04-05

Parias hageni Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parias hageni   Parias hageni Icon_minitimeFri 16 May - 22:22

Hi! Thanks!

Hopefully I will be able to dig out some more pics later that i can post.

I miss you guys too, i'll be back as soon as I can. Meanwhile i'll have to visit this lovely forum more!

/Pat
Back to top Go down
Karsten Hoer
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Karsten Hoer

Male
Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Parias hageni Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parias hageni   Parias hageni Icon_minitimeSat 17 May - 10:47

Hi Patrik,

thanks for sharing the keeping information with us. Another proof case, that not every big snake is easy to keep.

I look forward to see more pictures of hegeni.

regards,
Karsten
Back to top Go down
http://www.karstenhoer.de
Vincent DUCROT

Male
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2015-12-09

Parias hageni Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parias hageni   Parias hageni Icon_minitimeSat 29 Oct - 14:25

Hi Patrik. Did you succeed in feeding babies with pinkies finally? Perhaps do they sometimes eat frogs like parents did?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Parias hageni Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parias hageni   Parias hageni Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Parias hageni
Page 1 of 1