VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

LD50 Score for The Faint-Banded Sea Snake, Hydrophis Belcheri

Go down 
+5
Fabian Dirks
Wolfgang Wüster
Guenter Leitenbauer
Peter Zürcher
Albert J. Montejo
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male
Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2011-03-01

LD50  Score  for  The Faint-Banded  Sea Snake,  Hydrophis Belcheri Empty
PostSubject: LD50 Score for The Faint-Banded Sea Snake, Hydrophis Belcheri    LD50  Score  for  The Faint-Banded  Sea Snake,  Hydrophis Belcheri Icon_minitimeWed 25 May - 5:46

Intramuscular LD 50 scores for Five Sea Snakes.

1) The Black Banded Sea Snake , Hydrophis Melanosoma, LD50 0.155

2) The Olive Sea Snake, Aipysurus Laevi LD50 0.09

3) The Reef Sea Snake , Hydrophis Ornatus LD50 0.155

4)* The Faint Banded Sea Snake , Hydrophis Belcheri LD50 0.155

5) The Elegant Sea Snake , Hydrophis elegans LD50 0.21

Ref, anonymous.
Back to top Go down
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: LD50 Score for The Faint-Banded Sea Snake, Hydrophis Belcheri    LD50  Score  for  The Faint-Banded  Sea Snake,  Hydrophis Belcheri Icon_minitimeWed 25 May - 5:54

Correction , advice number 1#.

The Black Banded Sea Snake , Hydrophis Melanosoma LD50 0.082
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male
Number of posts : 1266
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: LD50 Score for The Faint-Banded Sea Snake, Hydrophis Belcheri    LD50  Score  for  The Faint-Banded  Sea Snake,  Hydrophis Belcheri Icon_minitimeWed 25 May - 15:05

Why an anonymous reference?

http://www.venomdoc.com/LD50/LD50men.html

you see you should correct nr. 3 too - 0,12 instead of 0,155
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilienzoonockalm.at
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male
Number of posts : 1389
Registration date : 2008-05-17

PostSubject: Re: LD50 Score for The Faint-Banded Sea Snake, Hydrophis Belcheri    LD50  Score  for  The Faint-Banded  Sea Snake,  Hydrophis Belcheri Icon_minitimeWed 25 May - 15:18

Difficult to believe these values, Peter.
Naja nivea IV nearly 0,6 and Naja naja 0,3?
Just one example.

BTW - I just read Your answer. Mr M. is no longer visible for me - thanks to the foo list.

Last edited by Guenter Leitenbauer on Fri 27 May - 14:15; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.leitenbauer.net
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: LD50 Score for The Faint-Banded Sea Snake, Hydrophis Belcheri    LD50  Score  for  The Faint-Banded  Sea Snake,  Hydrophis Belcheri Icon_minitimeWed 25 May - 16:11

a Dra Maria de Fatima, do Inst. Butantan, utilizou o SORO ANTI-ELAPIDICO, produzido no próprio Butantan e todos los rotones não sobreviveram...

O veneno de M.surinamensis é muito diferente das outras Micrurus.... é claro elas se alimentam de peixes como você mesmo comentou no forum....

Se o cara foi envenenado, acho que não deve ter muitas horas de vida!!!!

This is a note sent to me 5/22/2011 from a colleauge at Butantan in Sao Paulo Brazil explaining that in their studies on aquatic Elapids , that theyre venom is quite different than other Elapids and may be due to their diet.

*it fore tells that even with SORO ANTI ELAPIDICO your chances to survive a bite from Micrurus surinamensis are slim.

Guenter good observation , Micrurus surinamensis LD50 > Naja Nivea.

Peter , thanks for perfecting my statement.

*examples 1, 2, 3, seem to be > than The Faint Banded Sea Snake, Hydrophis Belcheri.
Back to top Go down
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: LD50 Score for The Faint-Banded Sea Snake, Hydrophis Belcheri    LD50  Score  for  The Faint-Banded  Sea Snake,  Hydrophis Belcheri Icon_minitimeThu 26 May - 4:33

a) Request correction advice , Peter Zurcher for Intramuscular LD 50 score of Five SeaSnakes.

Number 3) is in fact : The Reef Snake, Hydrophis Ornatus LD50 0.12
____________________________________________________________________________________________

b) Edit foo list, on behalf of Guenter Leitenbauer.

Delete values and assign new values on * examples 1,2,3, seem to be > than The Faint- Band SeaSnake, Hydrophis Belcheri.

Edit: The Black banded Sea Snake , Hydrophis melanosoma, The Olive SeaSnake, Aipysurus laevi and The Reef SeaSnake, Hydrophis ornatus, seem to have a greater LD 50 score than The Faint Banded Seasnake, Hydrophis belcheri.

c) Edit foo list , on behalf of Guenten Leitenbauer and assign new key values.

1) From, Example: Micrurus surinamensis > Naja nivea

b) To: Micrurus surinamensis seems to have an greater value of LD50 than even Naja Nivea.

Note : You guy's are tough professors.

Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male

PostSubject: Re: LD50 Score for The Faint-Banded Sea Snake, Hydrophis Belcheri    LD50  Score  for  The Faint-Banded  Sea Snake,  Hydrophis Belcheri Icon_minitimeThu 26 May - 5:34

Sleep
Back to top Go down
Wolfgang Wüster
Systematicus
Systematicus

Number of posts : 273
Registration date : 2008-03-12

PostSubject: Re: LD50 Score for The Faint-Banded Sea Snake, Hydrophis Belcheri    LD50  Score  for  The Faint-Banded  Sea Snake,  Hydrophis Belcheri Icon_minitimeThu 26 May - 14:16

Guenter Leitenbauer wrote:
Difficult to believe this values, Peter.
Naja nivea IV nearly 0,6 and Naja naja 0,3?
Just one example.

Why is this hard to believe?
Back to top Go down
http://www.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male

PostSubject: Re: LD50 Score for The Faint-Banded Sea Snake, Hydrophis Belcheri    LD50  Score  for  The Faint-Banded  Sea Snake,  Hydrophis Belcheri Icon_minitimeThu 26 May - 15:28

Wolfgang I always thought that Naja nivea is one of the cobras with the most potent venom besides Naja philippinensis. Am I wrong?
Back to top Go down
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: LD50 Score for The Faint-Banded Sea Snake, Hydrophis Belcheri    LD50  Score  for  The Faint-Banded  Sea Snake,  Hydrophis Belcheri Icon_minitimeThu 26 May - 16:10

Naja nivea, LD score, 0.57

Naja naja, LD score, 0.35 addtl. side note, Careful - any Asiatic cobra may have been referred to as N. naja in the past.
Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male

PostSubject: Re: LD50 Score for The Faint-Banded Sea Snake, Hydrophis Belcheri    LD50  Score  for  The Faint-Banded  Sea Snake,  Hydrophis Belcheri Icon_minitimeThu 26 May - 17:40

Some people write clever!
Some others do never!
Just copy and paste
And I call this "waste"!

(of time, energy and reputation, well the latter seems to be around zero right now)
Back to top Go down
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: LD50 Score for The Faint-Banded Sea Snake, Hydrophis Belcheri    LD50  Score  for  The Faint-Banded  Sea Snake,  Hydrophis Belcheri Icon_minitimeThu 26 May - 21:43

Perhaps, not many of you realize that these statements and the intramuscular LD50 score
pertains to, THE MOST TOXIC VENOMOUS SNAKE ON EARTH, The Fainted-Banded Sea
Snake, Hydrophis belcheri.

Thank you, goes out to your partcipation and comments , Professors
Wolfgang Wuster, and Peter Zurcher.

And as always the lively participation of Guenter Leitenbauer.

Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male

PostSubject: Re: LD50 Score for The Faint-Banded Sea Snake, Hydrophis Belcheri    LD50  Score  for  The Faint-Banded  Sea Snake,  Hydrophis Belcheri Icon_minitimeThu 26 May - 22:44

Mister Albert "LD50" Montejo,

are you just regarding those LD50-tables in a somewhat naive manner or are you trying to create confusion conciously?

Pleas note, that
- the "most toxic "snake on earth" according to the intramuscular list of the Venomdoc-site is not Hydrophis belcheri, but Hydrophis melanosoma.

- LD 50 value for Oxyuranus microlepidotus is not given in the intramuscular list.

- LD 50 value for Oxyuranus microlepidotus is given in the subcutaneous list (0,025) whereas Hydrophis melanosoma is listed with a value of 0,111. Value of Hydrophis belcheri is not given in the subcutaneous list.

- not too great importance should be attached to these values, when it comes to envenomations of human beeings.

Further on, i'd like to ask you not to elevate my person to the same level as WW (even it might be complimentary to me), i'm wether a professor nor a scientist.

Sincerely

Peter Zürcher

Last edited by Peter Zürcher on Fri 27 May - 0:11; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male
Number of posts : 766
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: LD50 Score for The Faint-Banded Sea Snake, Hydrophis Belcheri    LD50  Score  for  The Faint-Banded  Sea Snake,  Hydrophis Belcheri Icon_minitimeThu 26 May - 23:04

Quote :
THE MOST TOXIC VENOMOUS SNAKE ON EARTH

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.
W. C. Fields

Back to top Go down
http://www.rear-fanged.com
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: LD50 Score for The Faint-Banded Sea Snake, Hydrophis Belcheri    LD50  Score  for  The Faint-Banded  Sea Snake,  Hydrophis Belcheri Icon_minitimeFri 27 May - 0:19

Once again, excellent coverage on the age old question of which is THE MOST TOXIC SNAKE ON EARTH .

Peter , i get asked this question daily by all types of people, i was researching and wanted a second oppinion on venomdoc's list, as all other non referenced documents points to Hydrophis Belcheri .

Still the anwser lies somewhere in between these two statements.

a)- the most toxic "snake on earth" according to the intramuscular list of the Venomdoc-site is not Hydrophis belcheri, but Hydrophis melanosoma.

b) LD 50 value for Oxyuranus microlepidotus is given in the subcutaneous list (0,025) whereas Hydrophis melanosoma is listed with a value of 0,111. Value of Hydrophis belcheri is not given in the subcutaneous list.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

2) Could it be that the actual MOST TOXIC SNAKE ON EARTH is Oxyuranus microlepidotus.

* Values and methods digested. Annotations, Peter Zurcher , common notes, 05/26/11

Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male

PostSubject: Re: LD50 Score for The Faint-Banded Sea Snake, Hydrophis Belcheri    LD50  Score  for  The Faint-Banded  Sea Snake,  Hydrophis Belcheri Icon_minitimeFri 27 May - 1:10

Quote :
THE MOST TOXIC SNAKE ON EARTH

on EARTH , or EARTH ?

By the way: Please tell me how many bites occur from the most toxic snake on earth and how many die?

regards Fabian
Back to top Go down
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: LD50 Score for The Faint-Banded Sea Snake, Hydrophis Belcheri    LD50  Score  for  The Faint-Banded  Sea Snake,  Hydrophis Belcheri Icon_minitimeFri 27 May - 1:28

Thank you, for your participation Fabian , my only interest is the LD50 list in and of it self not how dangerous any activity is.

Their are reasons why LD50 lists are created , ill be careful with my vocabulary to not stifle your thoughts, i am not able to determine which is THE MOST TOXIC VENOMOUS SNAKE ON/OR EARTH.

Fabian Dirks of Germany can you anwser the question with one definitive specie all methods digested and numerically brought forward, of which is THE MOST VENOMOUS SNAKE ON/OR EARTH.

Regards,

Albert.

Back to top Go down
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: LD50 Score for The Faint-Banded Sea Snake, Hydrophis Belcheri    LD50  Score  for  The Faint-Banded  Sea Snake,  Hydrophis Belcheri Icon_minitimeFri 27 May - 1:48

Fabian is this your question , on Venomous Reptile Org.

OK, LD-50 TEACHER NEEDED !!!! Reply
by Fabian on September 29, 2003 Mail this to a friend!

I STILL NEED HELP WITH THIS LD-50 CHART. HERE IS THE THING, I FOUND THE TIGER RATTLESNAKE AT 0.056, THEN I FOUND THE FOREST COBRA AT 0.289 . IT SEEMS THE TIGER TAKES LESS VENOM TO KILL THEN THE FOREST. PLEASE HELP ME GET THIS DOWN.
THANKS, FABIAN

Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male

PostSubject: Re: LD50 Score for The Faint-Banded Sea Snake, Hydrophis Belcheri    LD50  Score  for  The Faint-Banded  Sea Snake,  Hydrophis Belcheri Icon_minitimeFri 27 May - 1:48

By the way - how high is the LF50 for forum members?
(Number of tedious postings from a member until 50% of the other members Leave the Forum)
Back to top Go down
April Mandel
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
April Mandel

Female
Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2011-04-23

PostSubject: Re: LD50 Score for The Faint-Banded Sea Snake, Hydrophis Belcheri    LD50  Score  for  The Faint-Banded  Sea Snake,  Hydrophis Belcheri Icon_minitimeFri 27 May - 2:01

Just out of curiosity, and this is along the lines of Fabian's question, how many people, each year, on average, are bitten by a sea snake, and how many die?

Last edited by April Mandel on Fri 27 May - 2:32; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: LD50 Score for The Faint-Banded Sea Snake, Hydrophis Belcheri    LD50  Score  for  The Faint-Banded  Sea Snake,  Hydrophis Belcheri Icon_minitimeFri 27 May - 2:17

April, good question i dont know, the interest is the purely biochemical components of venom my second interest after collecting and breeding venomous and non venomous reptiles.

im not trying to put fear in any ones heart , if you get scared by my statements than your in the wrong business , you and i grew up differently in the herpetological scenario .

If this question that im asking on purely statistical reasons, can not be anwsered then let's let this thread die on that note.

addtl. i leave this LD50 chart here to any one who can figure it out and anwser .
Which is THE ONE MOST TOXIC SNAKE ON/OR EARTH.

Albert.

Certified, venomous reptile enthusiast since 1977.

Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male

PostSubject: Re: LD50 Score for The Faint-Banded Sea Snake, Hydrophis Belcheri    LD50  Score  for  The Faint-Banded  Sea Snake,  Hydrophis Belcheri Icon_minitimeFri 27 May - 2:28

I am not registered at Venomous Reptile Org., so I am sorry for you guy.

Quote :
im not trying to put fear in any ones heart , if you get scared by my statements

Yes I am scared to go swimming now...

Back to top Go down
April Mandel
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
April Mandel

Female
Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2011-04-23

PostSubject: Re: LD50 Score for The Faint-Banded Sea Snake, Hydrophis Belcheri    LD50  Score  for  The Faint-Banded  Sea Snake,  Hydrophis Belcheri Icon_minitimeFri 27 May - 2:41

Fabian Dirks wrote:
Yes I am scared to go swimming now...

Hydrophis swimmingpoolii, the Swimming Pool Sea Snake lives in chlorine swimming pools. No antivenin for this rare species, which has caused a number of fatalities each year.

LD50 is 0.04
Back to top Go down
Albert J. Montejo
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: LD50 Score for The Faint-Banded Sea Snake, Hydrophis Belcheri    LD50  Score  for  The Faint-Banded  Sea Snake,  Hydrophis Belcheri Icon_minitimeFri 27 May - 2:43

LOL , i get it April ....well what can you say.
Back to top Go down
Jon Davidson
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Jon Davidson

Male
Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2009-02-28

PostSubject: Re: LD50 Score for The Faint-Banded Sea Snake, Hydrophis Belcheri    LD50  Score  for  The Faint-Banded  Sea Snake,  Hydrophis Belcheri Icon_minitimeFri 27 May - 4:37

Albert J. Montejo wrote:
'...my only interest is the LD50 list in and of it self not how dangerous any activity is'.

In the publication(entitled): 'Sea Snakes' by Harold Heatwole(1999. Australian Natural History Series. ISBN #: 0 86840 776 3), Table 10.1 (on pp: 115, entitled: Attributes of some sea snakes in relation to their danger to humans) shows a list of sea snake species with a Mean Toxicity(LD50 mice; mg/kg). At the top of the list is Acalyptophis peronii with a LD50 of 0.08 and Aipysurus duboisii with a LD50 of 0.04 Heatwole states(on pp: 117)that: 'There is a wide range of toxicities of venom among sea snakes with a difference between weakest to most powerful of over 500 fold. The species with the most toxic venom(for mice) are Acalyptophis peronii and Aipysurus duboisii with LD50s of less then 0.1 mg/kg(Table 10.1)'. I hope that this is helpful to the discussion. Sincerely, Jon Davidson .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LD50 Score for The Faint-Banded Sea Snake, Hydrophis Belcheri    LD50  Score  for  The Faint-Banded  Sea Snake,  Hydrophis Belcheri Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

LD50 Score for The Faint-Banded Sea Snake, Hydrophis Belcheri
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next