VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Protobothrops breeding.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Stefan Wennekes
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Stefan Wennekes

Male
Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2009-07-01

Protobothrops breeding. Empty
PostSubject: Protobothrops breeding.   Protobothrops breeding. Icon_minitimeSat 4 Jun - 6:23

Hello all,

does anyone know some articles, or maybe information from own experience about breeding Protobothrops ??
And especially the Protobothrops jerdonii sp ?

Im particulary interested in information about the gestation period.

Thanks to all !
Stefan
Back to top Go down
http://www.oldworldophidia.com/indexeng.html
Michael Burger
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Michael Burger

Male
Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2011-06-19

PostSubject: paper   Protobothrops breeding. Icon_minitimeSun 19 Jun - 8:50

Orlov et al (2001. Russian J. Herpetology 8.2 pp 159-164) gives a little information on reproducing jerdonii. I bred a captive raised female - she later gave birth to only one live and several dead neonates. I cooled her to about 10 C and kept her in the dark for 4-6 weeks. I have had many matings with my wild caught specimens, but nothng has resulted which is very frustrating. It is my impression from my limited success is that cb individuals would be easier to cycle than wild caught imports. My captive raised female later died so I wasn't able to repeat.

I have also had a wild caught female give birth to a litter of five. Both her and the captive raised female that gave birth to the one live baby remained pretty elusive and didn't appear to bask or seek warmth (typical with many pitvipers). Gestation was about 4-5 months.

Good luck!

Michael
Back to top Go down
Stefan Wennekes
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Stefan Wennekes

Male
Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2009-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Protobothrops breeding.   Protobothrops breeding. Icon_minitimeSun 19 Jun - 18:00

Thank you Micheal.
very nice of you to share this information.
The female is really really big.'

did yours fed thru the whole gestation ?

If she doessnt gie birth im gonna take here to the fed for some exrayphoto's

best regards
Stefan
Back to top Go down
http://www.oldworldophidia.com/indexeng.html
Michael Burger
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Michael Burger

Male

PostSubject: jerdonii   Protobothrops breeding. Icon_minitimeSun 19 Jun - 22:34

I do not recall either female feeding through gestation. If your female appears large after you have witnessed her mating, however, I would suspect she is gravid. I believe you can never have enough jerdonii in your collection, they are very beautiful. Post a picture if you have babies.

Michael
Back to top Go down
Michael Bollhorn
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Michael Bollhorn

Male
Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2008-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Protobothrops breeding.   Protobothrops breeding. Icon_minitimeMon 20 Jun - 3:40

Hi,
what Jerdonii do you keep?
For P.jerdonii xanthomelas it´s better you go down to 4 - 6°C!
They eat and shit still at 10°C!

Regards
Michael
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.103887216345740.6060.10
Michael Burger
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Michael Burger

Male

PostSubject: jerdonii   Protobothrops breeding. Icon_minitimeMon 20 Jun - 4:38

Hello,

I keep xanthomelas but have also maintained bourreti at the zoo I used to work at. I generally drop my temperatures according to the outside temperatures here in Texas, so 10 C is about the average I can maintain them in the winter months. I have a couple of friends who traveled to Vietnam and found bourreti active at very low temperatures like you suggest and according to literature, because they have been found at fairly high altitudes, I could expect that many populations exist at the extreme. It's amazing that some reptiles are able to stay active at these temperatures. I have always been a lowland tropical rainforest person who only expects activity at considerably higher temperatures.

Michael
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Protobothrops breeding.   Protobothrops breeding. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Protobothrops breeding.
Page 1 of 1