VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

New Malpolon

Go down 
+13
Rainer Fesser
Christian Schaich
Andre Schmid
Emil Lydhagen
Ari Finsk
Ambros Mathier
Kelly Chabak
Nigel Sowter
Gilian van Dijk
Patrick Vince
Jakob H. Christensen
April Mandel
Fabian Dirks
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male
Number of posts : 766
Registration date : 2009-01-07

New Malpolon Empty
PostSubject: New Malpolon   New Malpolon Icon_minitimeSun 5 Jun - 0:57

Today I received some Malpolon (Scutophis) moilensis and some Malpolon insignitus insignitus
Without light and natural background not so spectacular, but I really enjoy them ( just in quarantine )

New Malpolon P1080410
Back to top Go down
http://www.rear-fanged.com
April Mandel
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
April Mandel

Female
Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2011-04-23

New Malpolon Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Malpolon   New Malpolon Icon_minitimeSun 5 Jun - 1:56

I know nothing about this species. Can you describe their habitat and natural diet?
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male

New Malpolon Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Malpolon   New Malpolon Icon_minitimeSun 5 Jun - 2:25

http://www.venomland.net/t3631-malpolon-monspessulanus-sp

http://www.venomland.net/t3292-the-devil-arrived-m-insignitus

Hi April,

the genus Malpolon is a common species around the mediterranean basin. ( from northern africa to greece and spain/france)
The diet depends on size ( from rodents, lizards, snakes up to rabbits and maybe everything they can get ) , they grow up to 2 m.
They are able to give severe bites ( for colubrids ) , but normally flee, only once in a corner they dont hesitate to attack and bite

http://www.rear-fanged.com/en/malpolon.html

please feel free to ask more

Fabian
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male

New Malpolon Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Malpolon   New Malpolon Icon_minitimeMon 13 Jun - 3:35

New Malpolon 249876_193130240737725_100001222525679_567762_3556817_n
Back to top Go down
Jakob H. Christensen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Jakob H. Christensen

Male
Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-04-21

New Malpolon Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Malpolon   New Malpolon Icon_minitimeMon 13 Jun - 16:15

Nice shot, Fabian Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.jhcreptiles.com
Patrick Vince
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2009-09-22

New Malpolon Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Malpolon   New Malpolon Icon_minitimeMon 13 Jun - 17:12

Hi Fabian are they WC or born in captivity ?
R.
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male

New Malpolon Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Malpolon   New Malpolon Icon_minitimeMon 13 Jun - 17:27

Thx.
They are wc

rgds Fabian
Back to top Go down
April Mandel
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
April Mandel

Female

New Malpolon Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Malpolon   New Malpolon Icon_minitimeSat 18 Jun - 5:11

Fabian,

Thank you for the information and the links. There are many species that are commonly seen in European collections that are rarely seen in the US. Some are fairly common in the wild and just aren't imported; I wonder, are the most common American snakes imported into Europe? Are Garter Snakes, Thamnophis, readily available?

I would expect most of the Rattlesnakes would be of interest, along with many of the kingsnakes, Lampropeltis. The Corn Snake, also known as the Red Rat Snake, Elaphe guttata, would be European bred and raised. What other North American colubrids are usually available to European collectors?

Back to top Go down
Patrick Vince
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2009-09-22

New Malpolon Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Malpolon   New Malpolon Icon_minitimeSat 18 Jun - 18:09

Hi April, in fact most of american snakes are readily available in France, at least,nearly all are born in captivity (pantherophis, elaphe, pituophis, lampropeltis...) but some are always WC, because people find them to "aggressive" (not my case): coluber, masticophis......Most european snakes (and lizards) are strictly protected (both into the wild and in captivity)and that's why you didn't find them often in USA.
R.
Back to top Go down
Gilian van Dijk

Male
Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-12-19

New Malpolon Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Malpolon   New Malpolon Icon_minitimeSun 19 Jun - 16:10

I love Malpolon!!! I would like to see some captive bred specimens on the market...

regards

Back to top Go down
April Mandel
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
April Mandel

Female

New Malpolon Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Malpolon   New Malpolon Icon_minitimeMon 20 Jun - 2:35

Pantherophis? Is that correct, or is it still officially Elaphe?

"It is currently included in the genus Elaphe. However, in 2002 Utiger et al. raised a taxonomic suggestion to resurrect the genus Pantherophis based on mitochondrial DNA evidence suggesting that the New World ratsnakes are more closely related to the Lampropeltini than to the Old World ratsnakes [1].

However, in 2003 (see below) the genus was rejected and currently the genus not accepted as taxonomically correct."

"In recent years there has been some taxonomic controversy over the genus of North American ratsnakes. Based on mitochondrial DNA, Utiger et al. (2002) showed that North American Rat Snakes of the genus Elaphe along with closely related genera such as Pituophis and Lampropeltis form a monophyletic group separate from Old World members of the genus. They therefore suggested the resurrection of the available name Pantherophis Fitzinger for all North American taxa (north of Mexico).[2]

All published taxonomy remains a taxonomic suggestion until ruled on by the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature (ICZN - http://www.iczn.org/), but the body has so far not supported the change and has not addressed the taxonomic suggestion, thus the official taxonomy remains Elaphe.

Crother et al. (2003) rejected the taxonomic change to Pantherophis, preferring to retain the current concept of Elaphe and the spelling obsoleta"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantherophis

Continued Internet investigation becomes confusing when Pantherophis is used. In discussing Pantherophis emoryi,

"Utiger et al. (2002) examined mtDNA variation in New World and Old World "Elaphe" and determined that North American rat snakes included in the genus Elaphe form a monophyletic lineage that is distinct from Old World snakes that also have been regarded as Elaphe. They resurrected the genus Pantherophis for the rat snakes north of Mexico, including the following species: Pantherophis obsoletus (and P. alleghaniensis and P. spiloides, if one recognizes those taxa as species), P. guttatus, P. emoryi, P. vulpinus, P. gloydi, and P. bairdi. Crother et al. (2003) noted this proposal but did not adopt it, pending further review. Burbrink and Lawson (2007) agreed with Utiger et al. (2002) that these species do not belong in Elaphe, but suggested that the genus Pantherophis might belong in Pituophis. We retain this species in Pantherophis, following Utiger et al. (2002) pending further information on the relationships of these taxa."

http://www.iucnredlist.org/apps/redlist/details/63861/0

Please excuse any errors or omissions I may have made in my presentation of this post.
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male

New Malpolon Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Malpolon   New Malpolon Icon_minitimeMon 20 Jun - 2:59

Hi April,

there is still much under investigation

Burbrink & Lawson (2007 Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 43: 173-189), using DNA, placed the genus Pantherophis in the synonymy of Pituophis. Spelling of the specific names remains the same as that for the genus Pantherophis.

Collins, Joseph T. & Travis W. Taggart (2008. An alternative classification of the New World Rat Snakes (genus Pantherophis [Reptilia: Squamata: Colubridae]). Journal of Kansas Herpetology 26: 16-18) divided the genus Pantherophis as follows: P. emoryi, P. guttatus and P. slowinskii were retained in the genus Pantherophis, P. alleghaniensis, P. bairdi, P. obsoletus and P. spiloides were placed in the resurrected genus Scotophis Baird & Girard, 1853, and P. gloydi and P. vulpinus were placed in a new genus Mintonius. This arrangement retained the genus Pituophis as monophyletic.

Pyron & Burbrink (2009 page 528 column right) stated that the "taxonomic conclusions of . . . Collins & Taggart (2008) [to recognize the genera Mintonius and Scotophis] are shown to be inaccurate." To the contrary, the taxonomic conclusions of Collins & Taggart (2008) are unaffected by the evidence in Pyron & Burbrink (2009), since the two species in the genus Mintonius (gloydi and vulpinus) remain as sister taxa to the three species in the genus Pantherophis (emoryi, guttatus, and slowinskii), and both Mintonius and Pantherophis remain as sister taxa to the four species in the genus Scotophis, as clearly shown in Pyron & Burbrink (2009). CNAH will continue to use an accurate generic taxonomy that includes Mintonius, Pantherophis, and Scotophis because it is more evolutionarily informative than placing them in the single polytypic genus Pantherophis.
Back to top Go down
Nigel Sowter
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male
Number of posts : 406
Registration date : 2010-11-29

New Malpolon Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Malpolon   New Malpolon Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jun - 3:02

Jakob H. Christensen wrote:
Nice shot, Fabian Wink

+ 1!
Back to top Go down
Kelly Chabak
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Kelly Chabak

Female
Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2010-09-29

New Malpolon Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Malpolon   New Malpolon Icon_minitimeTue 21 Jun - 5:12

Congratulations Fabian. Very nice!
Back to top Go down
Ambros Mathier
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Ambros Mathier

Male
Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2010-09-17

New Malpolon Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Malpolon   New Malpolon Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jun - 16:57

Hi Fabian,

Congratulation to your new one's.
I like Scutophis moilensis allot. I kept them in the past and would love to get them back. But no cb's available.

It would be great, to see more pictures of them here. Please Very Happy

Best regards
Ambros
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male

New Malpolon Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Malpolon   New Malpolon Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jun - 6:11

ok Ambros

New Malpolon Malpol11

New Malpolon P1080610

Differents in coloration - one hypomelanistic animal
New Malpolon P1080510

rgds Fabian
Back to top Go down
Ambros Mathier
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Ambros Mathier

Male

New Malpolon Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Malpolon   New Malpolon Icon_minitimeFri 24 Jun - 20:14

Cool Very Happy

thanks a lot for the pictures.
I raised up a pair of wc. Had lots of veterinary costs because of parasites. At the end they where healthy and nearly ready to breed. But as i had to move to a new place, i was not able to take them with me. I had to sell them. No Recently i contacted the guy i have sold them. I hoped i could buy them back. He just wort.....sorry they didn't make it. Mad

I would love to get my hands on them again.

Regards
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male

New Malpolon Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Malpolon   New Malpolon Icon_minitimeWed 29 Jun - 3:13

accession to the throne

New Malpolon M_insignitus_2

with crownjewels on top

New Malpolon M_insignitus
Back to top Go down
Ari Finsk
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male
Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2009-04-14

New Malpolon Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Malpolon   New Malpolon Icon_minitimeWed 29 Jun - 5:30

It happens again ... after these pics I "felt in love" to this specie ... these kind of pics are pure poison to my empty wallet ... and small rooms
Back to top Go down
Ambros Mathier
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Ambros Mathier

Male

New Malpolon Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Malpolon   New Malpolon Icon_minitimeFri 1 Jul - 19:01

Hi Fabian, the last shot is really superb and a like the snake to. Laughing Wonderful scales and coloration.
I suppose, that you will breed these guys. When do you expect that your M.moilensis will mate?
Reagards Ambros
Back to top Go down
Emil Lydhagen
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Emil Lydhagen

Male
Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2010-03-30

New Malpolon Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Malpolon   New Malpolon Icon_minitimeFri 1 Jul - 19:30

Nice! Very "taipan"-looking snakes Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Andre Schmid
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Andre Schmid

Male
Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2009-09-20

New Malpolon Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Malpolon   New Malpolon Icon_minitimeFri 1 Jul - 21:44

Nice pictures and a very beutiful lookin snake, congrats Fabian !
Back to top Go down
http://www.viperas.de/
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male

New Malpolon Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Malpolon   New Malpolon Icon_minitimeFri 1 Jul - 22:00

Hi Ambros,

I saw some mating behaviour the last week so we have to wait...

@ all

thanks for your comments

cheers Fabian
Back to top Go down
Christian Schaich
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Christian Schaich

Male
Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2011-06-09

New Malpolon Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Malpolon   New Malpolon Icon_minitimeSat 2 Jul - 0:32

@ Fabian
Great pics! They are an inspiration for the new terrariums I'm getting tomorrow. How about cleaning (findig the excrement) and the real plants? Can they survive the snakes crawling on them?

My females are much shier and never expose themselves as yours. No chance to take a good picture. Only the males are curious.

@ Ambros Mathier

Maybe I can help you in a certain time. I'm hatching 8 eggs at the moment. Did you sell your Malpolons on a fair? I was told that last year sb had offered Malpolons in the western part of Switzerland.

Regards, Christian
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male

New Malpolon Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Malpolon   New Malpolon Icon_minitimeSat 2 Jul - 1:45

Hi Christian,

Quote :
My females are much shier and never expose themselves as yours. No chance to take a good picture. Only the males are curious.

Same with my animals, the male is not so shy (and protects the female)... but if I do not move for a long time, I can make such pics with the female...

The terrarium of my bigger specimen has no problems with the plants, I will make so pics.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Malpolon Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Malpolon   New Malpolon Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Malpolon
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next