VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Rough scaled snake(Tropidechis carinatus)

Go down 
+4
Nigel Sowter
Stefan Anthonijsz
Scott Eipper
Joel Power
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Joel Power
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Joel Power

Male
Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2011-07-29

Rough scaled snake(Tropidechis carinatus) Empty
PostSubject: Rough scaled snake(Tropidechis carinatus)   Rough scaled snake(Tropidechis carinatus) Icon_minitimeSun 21 Aug - 5:32

If anyone has these I would like to see some pics that are my favorite of the Elapid family Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Scott Eipper
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Rough scaled snake(Tropidechis carinatus)   Rough scaled snake(Tropidechis carinatus) Icon_minitimeSun 21 Aug - 6:15

Rough scaled snake(Tropidechis carinatus) 6063334576_0a1a4b4573_b

cheers,
Scott
Back to top Go down
Stefan Anthonijsz
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Stefan Anthonijsz

Male
Number of posts : 556
Registration date : 2009-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Rough scaled snake(Tropidechis carinatus)   Rough scaled snake(Tropidechis carinatus) Icon_minitimeSun 21 Aug - 6:17

Wow... Soooo beautiful! Really like this species!
Back to top Go down
Joel Power
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Joel Power

Male

PostSubject: Re: Rough scaled snake(Tropidechis carinatus)   Rough scaled snake(Tropidechis carinatus) Icon_minitimeSun 21 Aug - 7:29

they are beautiful snakes Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Nigel Sowter
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male
Number of posts : 406
Registration date : 2010-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Rough scaled snake(Tropidechis carinatus)   Rough scaled snake(Tropidechis carinatus) Icon_minitimeSun 21 Aug - 17:27

Nice Scott, lets hope they come onto our licence down here in victoria.
Back to top Go down
Jack Hinde
Jack Hinde

Male
Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2010-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Rough scaled snake(Tropidechis carinatus)   Rough scaled snake(Tropidechis carinatus) Icon_minitimeMon 22 Aug - 8:04

They have a poor reputation in literature, and in New South Wales are placed in the highest category of licence (with Pseudonaja textillis and Oxyuranus sp.) due to this dangerous reputation. Yet the few wild ones I have encountered have been reasonably tractable.
Anyone with more experience wish to comment on their supposed bad temper?
Back to top Go down
Joel Power
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Joel Power

Male

PostSubject: Re: Rough scaled snake(Tropidechis carinatus)   Rough scaled snake(Tropidechis carinatus) Icon_minitimeMon 22 Aug - 9:28

Ive read they have a lousy temper but I have yet to see any evidence of it also ive read they bite readily. But again I guess this species may not be as bad as its portrayed to be Smile Still a beautiful snake Smile Highly venomous but beautiful Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mike Spencer
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Mike Spencer

Male
Number of posts : 386
Registration date : 2010-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Rough scaled snake(Tropidechis carinatus)   Rough scaled snake(Tropidechis carinatus) Icon_minitimeMon 22 Aug - 12:38

Very awesome and seldom seen species here in the US.
Back to top Go down
http://www.michaelrayspencer.com
Scott Eipper
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Rough scaled snake(Tropidechis carinatus)   Rough scaled snake(Tropidechis carinatus) Icon_minitimeMon 22 Aug - 15:42

Jack,

They are not really any worse than a Hoplo.......I have kept a few over the years and found them really similar to Hoplo's....almost seem to behave according to the way they slept the day before......predictably unpredicable!

Some wild ones behave nicely.....others not so much really depends on the snake at the time.

Cheers,
Scott
Back to top Go down
Nathan Dunstan

Male
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Rough scaled snake(Tropidechis carinatus)   Rough scaled snake(Tropidechis carinatus) Icon_minitimeTue 23 Aug - 16:04

Based on my experiences with them i'd disagree with Scott, but mainly because all of the Hops we've had will at least 'grab' hold of the hook like any other arboreal(ish) snake, even when ticked off. We've had some absolute tropo (pun intended) Rougies over the years, When they do go 'off', i'd compare them to a misbehaving 2 foot Coastal Tai, in that they're almost impossible to control effectively on the end of a hook and it's a pretty hairy experience to tail them. It only takes a blink of the eye for the head to be scary close to your hand. However, i will say that most of ours (we have 5, all originally wild caught) at the moment are pretty chill. But is has taken some years to get them there.

I think another reasoning behind their elevated level on the permit system is the added problems with a bite. Tiger AV is the treatment of choice, but i've spoken to a couple of Doc's that have told me of people suffering from ongoing issues because Tiger AV doesn't mop up all of the toxins (probably similar with Hopo's too).

Cheers

Nathan
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomsupplies.com
Joel Power
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Joel Power

Male

PostSubject: Re: Rough scaled snake(Tropidechis carinatus)   Rough scaled snake(Tropidechis carinatus) Icon_minitimeTue 23 Aug - 16:27

So I know this species is highly venomous but how toxic is its venom?? Ive read its made up of post and presynaptic neurotoxins and some other nasty toxins.
Back to top Go down
Paul Hermann
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2016-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Rough scaled snake(Tropidechis carinatus)   Rough scaled snake(Tropidechis carinatus) Icon_minitimeMon 15 Feb - 5:50

This species looks interesting but putting aside their reputation of having a bad behaviour, they do have a powerful neurotoxic venom. It is an Australian elapid after all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rough scaled snake(Tropidechis carinatus)   Rough scaled snake(Tropidechis carinatus) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rough scaled snake(Tropidechis carinatus)
Page 1 of 1