VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Questions about feeding habit of the King

Go down 
+3
Mario Lutz
Gavin Carpenter
Marc Dubois
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Marc Dubois
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Marc Dubois

Male
Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Questions about feeding habit of the King Empty
PostSubject: Questions about feeding habit of the King   Questions about feeding habit of the King Icon_minitimeTue 24 Jun - 7:41

Hi,

I want to know something about King Cobra natural preys:

King Cobra eat other snakes like ratsnakes, young pythons and others species of cobras (Naja sp.) and it's immune against the other cobras venom...

So, my questions is:

-- Some one know or hear about if King Cobra eat Russell's Viper or Malayan Pitviper in nature ??

-- They are immune against the Viperidae venom ??

Thanks!

Marc
Back to top Go down
Marc Dubois
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Marc Dubois

Male

PostSubject: Re: Questions about feeding habit of the King   Questions about feeding habit of the King Icon_minitimeWed 18 Mar - 11:31

Nobody have any idea about that ?

I'm just curious Smile
Back to top Go down
Gavin Carpenter
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Questions about feeding habit of the King   Questions about feeding habit of the King Icon_minitimeWed 18 Mar - 11:45

Hi Marc
I know of 2 Kings that used to eat dead Bitis Arietans without a problem. One of my Kings has eaten a number of dead Atheris species but I dont know if they will take other Viperidae.
Cheers
Gavin
Back to top Go down
Marc Dubois
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Marc Dubois

Male

PostSubject: Re: Questions about feeding habit of the King   Questions about feeding habit of the King Icon_minitimeWed 18 Mar - 11:59

Thanks Gavin for your response Wink

I know they can eat dead prey without any problem...

When a King Cobra capture a live snake he have chance to be biten by the prey and this is why i want to know the consequence of a viper bite on the King.

P.S.: sorry for my bad english Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Questions about feeding habit of the King   Questions about feeding habit of the King Icon_minitimeWed 18 Mar - 12:37

well, our kings here refuse any kind of cobras...

they feed perfectly on ratsnakes and Tokeh (Gecko gecko), seldom take P.reticulatus..
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomland.org
Randy Ciuros
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Randy Ciuros

Male
Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Questions about feeding habit of the King   Questions about feeding habit of the King Icon_minitimeSat 4 Apr - 11:18

I just picked up this 12' female Malay King. She was said to be eating any kind of snakes, and they had fed her some Mangroves right before I got her. Two days after I got her home, I sewed a piece of frozen thawed Albino Gopher Snake to the nose of a thawed jumbo rat, and she ate it. This has worked great for me in the past.

I also picked up a hatchling Malay King that was supposed to be taking scented pinks, but it has not taken them for me, nor has it taken thawed Cornsnake hatchlings. I'm going to try some other things including the chicken heart thing and scenting pinks with the chicken heart.

Questions about feeding habit of the King MalayFemale001
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomstreet.com
Grégoire Meier
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Grégoire Meier

Male
Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2008-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Questions about feeding habit of the King   Questions about feeding habit of the King Icon_minitimeSat 4 Apr - 15:27

WOW
Back to top Go down
http://serpenti-del-ticino.over-blog.org/
Randy Ciuros
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Randy Ciuros

Male

PostSubject: Re: Questions about feeding habit of the King   Questions about feeding habit of the King Icon_minitimeSat 4 Apr - 23:26

That's what I said, when I opened the container in my hotel room to bag her. She was bigger than he told me she was. She is a bit bigger than my male. I hope she doesn't eat him when I put them together.

RC
Back to top Go down
Randy Ciuros
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Randy Ciuros

Male

PostSubject: Re: Questions about feeding habit of the King   Questions about feeding habit of the King Icon_minitimeTue 2 Jun - 2:59

Well some good news about the female Malaysian King. She has eaten frozen thawed jumbo rats 3 times without even scenting them, let alone having to sew a piece of snake to the rat. I can not believe how fast she has taken to the rats.
Back to top Go down
Randy Ciuros
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Randy Ciuros

Male

PostSubject: Female King eating   Questions about feeding habit of the King Icon_minitimeMon 8 Jun - 1:07

Here is a photo taken today, of the female eating a Jumbo Rat. She is hammering them down now. The photo was taken through the lexan. I didn't want to disturb her by opening the cage back up.

Questions about feeding habit of the King FemaleMalayKing6_7_09
Back to top Go down
Markus Gottlieb
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Markus Gottlieb

Male
Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Questions about feeding habit of the King   Questions about feeding habit of the King Icon_minitimeMon 8 Jun - 15:35

Thats a great success Randy, nice to see that
Back to top Go down
Randy Ciuros
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Randy Ciuros

Male

PostSubject: Re: Questions about feeding habit of the King   Questions about feeding habit of the King Icon_minitimeMon 8 Jun - 21:36

Thanks Markus

This has been a great experience. Finally NOT having to struggle to get one eating Rats. Out of 7 or 8 Kings that I've had, she was, without a doubt, the easiest King to get eating Rats. I still can't believe it myself sometimes, lol.

Randy
Back to top Go down
Markus Oulehla
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Markus Oulehla

Male
Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2008-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Questions about feeding habit of the King   Questions about feeding habit of the King Icon_minitimeTue 9 Jun - 1:42

Great succsess Randy!
Do you expereanced any differences of the digestion, when you feed rats instead of snakes (or reptiles in general)?
Are there any long-time-experiences, how this kind of feeding affacts to the Kings???

cheers
Markus
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/markus_oulehla/
Randy Ciuros
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Randy Ciuros

Male

PostSubject: Re: Questions about feeding habit of the King   Questions about feeding habit of the King Icon_minitimeTue 9 Jun - 3:46

Thanks Markus

I was told by a good friend that Kings will do fine on a strictly rodent diet, but that they do better on a diet of snakes.
The only difference I have notice in feeding rodents compared to snakes, is that the Kings will become overweight if your not careful. But, maybe it was because I could never find enough snakes to make a King gain that much weight.

I had a 3.35 meter male Indonesian King that got very fat from eating 1 jumbo rat every 5 days. His cage was only .6 x 2.43 meters, so he had planty of room to stretch out, but not really enough room to "roam".

Being that Rats are so much easier to get than large snakes, (I breed my own rats and mice), I will continue to feed rats to any Kings that will take them. Even if I must sew a piece of thawed snake to the thawed rat.

I'm still force-feeding baby Corns to the baby Malay King. He is taking them a little easier now. Not fighting me so much to keep from eating them.
Back to top Go down
Markus Gottlieb
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Markus Gottlieb

Male
Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Questions about feeding habit of the King   Questions about feeding habit of the King Icon_minitimeTue 9 Jun - 6:36

I think it's really easy to put weight on them with rodents, de do have a lot more fat than reptiles Smile

It would be interesting how fast CB kings from a "rodent eating king" would start on rodents.
Back to top Go down
Randy Ciuros
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Randy Ciuros

Male

PostSubject: Re: Questions about feeding habit of the King   Questions about feeding habit of the King Icon_minitimeTue 9 Jun - 9:16

Hopefully I will be able to try that experience in the next year or so
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Questions about feeding habit of the King   Questions about feeding habit of the King Icon_minitimeThu 11 Jun - 4:57

awesome snake Cool ,goodluck with the small one
Back to top Go down
Gavin Carpenter
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Questions about feeding habit of the King   Questions about feeding habit of the King Icon_minitimeThu 11 Jun - 12:52

Hey Randy
So the little one is being stubborn I see. I have managed to get the other 4 small Malaysian Kings to take mice now just rubbed in chicken hearts. The one eats mice no problem. It has taken me about 2 years now to get this far! I imported 21 babies and only lost 1. I forcefed pinkies and the on to fuzzies from day one. When they were about 2 to 3 feet long I sold off all but the 5 I have kept and I believe one has died from all those I sold and everyone else I have spoken to has them on mice so the patience paid off! My very big male, about 4 metres will still not eat anything! I have tried everything you can think of and still nothing so I am still force feeding him. Been 3 years or more now! I would love to see my big ones smoking rats like your big female! I see she has a nice red head as well!
Good luck with the baby!
Cheers
Gavin
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions about feeding habit of the King   Questions about feeding habit of the King Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Questions about feeding habit of the King
Page 1 of 1