VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

More mouths to feed

Go down 
+12
Mateusz Zieliński
Rene Schenk
Matt Harris
Martti Niskanen
Walter Silva
Predrag Ristic
Peter Zürcher
Mike Spencer
Bob Herrington
PeterMagnusson
Michael Bollhorn
Sami Heikkinen
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Sami Heikkinen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Sami Heikkinen

Male
Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2008-11-04

More mouths to feed Empty
PostSubject: More mouths to feed   More mouths to feed Icon_minitimeSat 24 Sep - 22:47

My old lady dropped 24 babies yesterday.. So now I have more little mouths to feed. Hmm.. I need to buy some more mice to my freezer.
This is the females fourth and last clutch. She is almost 10 years old so she can "retire" and rest now.
Surprise is that there is quite alot of heavy patterned babies on the clutch. Usually babies have been yellow with some or non dark pattern at all on the back. I have one holdback (-08) from the female and nowdays it has really nice white markings on back..

But enought with chit chat here's couple of quick shots.

More mouths to feed Selekeli2_2011

More mouths to feed Selekeli3_2011

More mouths to feed Selekeli1_2011

Cheers
Sami
Back to top Go down
http://nothingtosayphoto.blogspot.com/
Michael Bollhorn
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Michael Bollhorn

Male
Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2008-05-05

PostSubject: Re: More mouths to feed   More mouths to feed Icon_minitimeSat 24 Sep - 23:31

Congrats,
but I think it's not a old snake you keep!
A friend have some Schlegelii older than 20 years and they are breeding now!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.103887216345740.6060.10
PeterMagnusson
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: More mouths to feed   More mouths to feed Icon_minitimeSun 25 Sep - 1:23

Congrats! pics of the parents?
Back to top Go down
Sami Heikkinen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Sami Heikkinen

Male

PostSubject: Re: More mouths to feed   More mouths to feed Icon_minitimeSun 25 Sep - 2:30

Thanks!..
Here's the female
More mouths to feed B_schlegelii_female

And here's male
More mouths to feed B_schlegelii08_4
Back to top Go down
Bob Herrington
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: More mouths to feed   More mouths to feed Icon_minitimeSun 25 Sep - 9:15

Very nice babies, Sami, I am a little surprized they are all yellow.
Back to top Go down
Mike Spencer
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Mike Spencer

Male
Number of posts : 386
Registration date : 2010-06-27

PostSubject: Re: More mouths to feed   More mouths to feed Icon_minitimeSun 25 Sep - 17:02

Very nice.
Back to top Go down
http://www.michaelrayspencer.com
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male
Number of posts : 1266
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: More mouths to feed   More mouths to feed Icon_minitimeSun 25 Sep - 17:33

@ Mike Spencer, and others, who are doing increasingly senseless postings like "very nice", "wow", "stunning" and so on:
If you don't have to tell us important, factual things, if you do not really have a usefull contribution to the topic, please do not post!
VenomLand is getting overflooded with these chat-like short postings - but actually we wanted to be a discussion forum!
Like Mario said some time ago:
"„i would appreciate if you could write more than 12 words in every of your postings...
this is a discussion board here, not a text message program for cellular phones...“

Thank you.
Peter
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilienzoonockalm.at
Predrag Ristic
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Predrag Ristic

Male
Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2010-01-20

PostSubject: Re: More mouths to feed   More mouths to feed Icon_minitimeSun 25 Sep - 18:08

Congratulations! As Bob says, really interesting that all baby yellow,
what was the situation in previous litters, and approximately, how long
is a proud Mom?

@Peter, it might be good to limit the length of post for example to 50
(or more) characters...

Regards
Back to top Go down
Walter Silva
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Walter Silva

Male
Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2009-06-15

PostSubject: Re: More mouths to feed   More mouths to feed Icon_minitimeSat 1 Oct - 7:13

Sami:

Congrats !!, very nice babies!!!.. Are they tiger phase??

Do you put it in brumation?? what temperature do you use? Or not necessary brumation??

Thx for your time and sorry for my bad english

Greetings

Back to top Go down
Sami Heikkinen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Sami Heikkinen

Male

PostSubject: Re: More mouths to feed   More mouths to feed Icon_minitimeSat 1 Oct - 18:57

Thanks!
No B. schlegelii doesn't need hibernation. I only drop the temps and humidity to winter months (around 3-4 i quess)
Normal temps are around 25-28'c at day and 20-22'c at night.
Usually the copulation has taken place in march to may when the temps rise and I start misting the terrarium more.
I keep the snakes in separate terrariums all the time exept in mating time.

About the phases.. I'm not a big fan of these things Very Happy They are just yellow with more or less pattern and markings.
Perhaps you could say some of them almost "tiger" or something.. Personally I really like the white markings on some of the babies.

I need to take new photos of the snakes from previous clutches.
Here's couple oldies.
More mouths to feed Schlegelii_female_07_1
More mouths to feed Schlegelii_2011_7
Back to top Go down
Martti Niskanen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Martti Niskanen

Male
Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: More mouths to feed   More mouths to feed Icon_minitimeSat 1 Oct - 19:40

Sami Heikkinen wrote:

About the phases.. I'm not a big fan of these things Very Happy

No! You must specify a morph. If they don't match existing ones, just make up a new one. Then just hitch up the prices for them.
Back to top Go down
Matt Harris

Male
Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: More mouths to feed   More mouths to feed Icon_minitimeSun 2 Oct - 22:58

Congrats Sami! The male is a stunning example!
Back to top Go down
Rene Schenk
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Rene Schenk

Male
Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: More mouths to feed   More mouths to feed Icon_minitimeTue 4 Oct - 3:33

Hi Sami, congrats!
Mate you must be very busy with al the kids you have to feed.
Rene
PS. whats next? ;-)))
Back to top Go down
Mateusz Zieliński
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Mateusz Zieliński

Male
Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2011-08-21

PostSubject: Re: More mouths to feed   More mouths to feed Icon_minitimeTue 4 Oct - 4:39

Last picture is sweet ! ;D
Back to top Go down
Sami Heikkinen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Sami Heikkinen

Male

PostSubject: Re: More mouths to feed   More mouths to feed Icon_minitimeTue 4 Oct - 4:47

Rene Schenk wrote:
Hi Sami, congrats!
Mate you must be very busy with al the kids you have to feed.
Rene
PS. whats next? ;-)))

Yeah.. at the moment bilineatas are trying to have some mice but still some of the buggers won't eat.. But let's not rush to things perhaps they need more time.
B. schlegelii offsprings haven't shed yet so I can focus on the bilineatas at least couple of more weeks.

I'm not sure what's next, but perhaps C. hortulanus and A. squamigera. Next year R. boulengeri which must be hard to feed..
Back to top Go down
Seb Capdevielle
Seb Capdevielle

Male
Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2011-10-02

PostSubject: Re: More mouths to feed   More mouths to feed Icon_minitimeTue 4 Oct - 14:45

Hi Sami, this one the species I love the most...

Therefore, I have one question on the influence of both pattern and color on the babies that hatch and it works. And one more do some books about Bothriechis and especially schlegelli exist?!
Hope my question won't look too much dumb for some forum members... Embarassed

Best regards, Seb
Back to top Go down
Sami Heikkinen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Sami Heikkinen

Male

PostSubject: Re: More mouths to feed   More mouths to feed Icon_minitimeTue 4 Oct - 23:23

Hello Seb.
There is book about B. schlegelii. The Guide to Owning Eyelash and Temple Vipers (Guide to Owning) By Ray Hunziker - Publisher: TFH Publications 2001.
Try ebay or amazon. It should be quite cheap.

Cheers
Sami
Back to top Go down
Lennart Karlsson
Lennart Karlsson

Male
Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2011-04-06

PostSubject: Re: More mouths to feed   More mouths to feed Icon_minitimeFri 7 Oct - 15:27

Terve Sami

How old was she when you start to breed her?

24 - Isin't that a very LARGE Clutch for a schlegelii?

Näkemiin
Back to top Go down
Seb Capdevielle
Seb Capdevielle

Male

PostSubject: Re: More mouths to feed   More mouths to feed Icon_minitimeFri 7 Oct - 19:08

Hi Sami,

Thanx for the book but I already own it and don't remeber it deals with gentic influences of parents colors on babies colors... No

Therefore, do you have any idea about this question that sometimes makes me mad as it means nobody's ever felt interested about this?!...
Does anybody have articles about it? If so feel free to tell me about!

Best regards, Seb
Back to top Go down
Rob McRobbie

Male
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-10-11

PostSubject: Re: More mouths to feed   More mouths to feed Icon_minitimeSat 8 Oct - 10:32

Seb,

You might want to try contacting Jim Campbell.. He breeds eyelashes regularily and could shed some light on your questions about colors.

Rob
Back to top Go down
Seb Capdevielle
Seb Capdevielle

Male

PostSubject: Re: More mouths to feed   More mouths to feed Icon_minitimeSat 8 Oct - 17:42

Yes Rob thanx, I'm gonna contact him for that question.
I just wanted to get different point of view about it 'cause I think it's always interesting to have several points of view whatever the subject is! Wink

Furthermore, I really like the one with white blotches and the male is just jaw droppin'... drunken
Back to top Go down
Sami Heikkinen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Sami Heikkinen

Male

PostSubject: Re: More mouths to feed   More mouths to feed Icon_minitimeMon 10 Oct - 1:26

Hi Seb and sorry from the late ansver..

B. schlegelii is amazingly variant in colour and patterns so I think you can only get results byt trial and error method. Dominance/recessiveness in colours and patterns perhaps can be track down by this, but personally I have no real info of this.
I think it has the same principles as in breeding different phases of cornsnakes examp.

Yellow seems to be dominat at my snakes? because all the offsprings from this pair have been yellow (which is kinda odd because what I have read there should be some green ones in this kind of mix).

But try to contact Jim he I'll bet have more insights on this issue

Cheers
Sami
Back to top Go down
Seb Capdevielle
Seb Capdevielle

Male

PostSubject: Re: More mouths to feed   More mouths to feed Icon_minitimeMon 10 Oct - 2:22

Ok I'll do it as soon as possible...
Furthermore, I'm looking for some different eyelash colors in order to try different breedings and note everything that happens then...
So if anything has some uncommon eyelash colors let me know!

Best regards, Seb
Back to top Go down
James Shepherd
James Shepherd

Male
Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2011-08-24

PostSubject: Re: More mouths to feed   More mouths to feed Icon_minitimeTue 11 Oct - 14:45

Well now the fun begins lots of little mouths to feed. i just picked up a neonate from Dave cornelly that is very similar to these but the parents were a green female and a black male it's the only black i've seen it was nice. the genetics on these guys is amazing the variable in colors from clutch to clutch is very interesting. i just got my first one but i plan to get more I truly am falling for this amazing species.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: More mouths to feed   More mouths to feed Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

More mouths to feed
Page 1 of 1