VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

IN MEMORIAM: JOHN ARNETT (1945–2011)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-03-06

IN MEMORIAM: JOHN ARNETT (1945–2011) Empty
PostSubject: IN MEMORIAM: JOHN ARNETT (1945–2011)   IN MEMORIAM: JOHN ARNETT (1945–2011) Icon_minitimeSat 12 Nov - 19:11

Zoo herpetologist John Arnett passed away last Sunday, November 6, 2011, in Cincinnati, Ohio. Johnny was born in Jelicho, Tennessee, on 6 June 1945, moved to Cincinnati when he was five years old, and began a long and significant career in the field of zoo herpetology. Along the way, he developed many lifelong friends, all of whom will miss him immensely. Johnny spent most of his career at the Cincinnati Zoological Garden but left for a while to work at the Columbus Zoo and then at the Gladys Porter Zoo in Brownsville, Texas. He then went on to become the first Curator of Reptiles at the Knoxville Zoo before returning to Cincinnati. While in Knoxville, he opened the first large reptile exhibit at that institution.

Johnny had a keen interest in Komodo Dragons and worked diligently, both in the field on Komodo Island and in the zoo community to promote this species early on when there were only a few of them in U.S. zoos. After the first Komodo Dragon was bred in captivity, he became the first international studbook keeper for Komodo Dragons. He also had a strong interest in Giant Salamanders (Cryptobranchidae) as well as all other forms of herpetofauna and field herpetology.

Johnny was an “old school” zoo man and freely expressed his opinions, even if they were not popular. After time and consideration, people generally realized that Johnny was usually right. He was always a loyal friend and he mentored many young zoo herpetologists, including me. He had a great knowledge of the history of zoo herpetology and told great stories about the curators he knew and worked for in the 1960s.

Two of his colleagues represent Johnny well in the following testimonials about him:

"Johnny was a kindred spirit, a true brother. I hope everyone remembers that Johnny had the deepest, ethical and assertive commitment to the welfare of animals. He was one of those rare individuals that actually had the courage of his convictions. That combined with his willingness to call BS when it was happening ruffled lots of feathers. I have the deepest respect for that. Zoos could use more of it. I shall miss him dearly." David Grow

"One example of Johnny’s commitment to animal welfare that comes to mind is that he felt strongly about taking the time to answer informational phone calls from the public and assist private herpetofaunal owners with their problems. I remember him talking to me about the responsibility we have towards them, and their animals. He believed we should offer advice, and help if we could, since we were considered the experts and had access to much more information than they did back in those days. This was in the 1980s when I was pretty new to the business. We were talking about Green Iguanas and the discouraging number of calls we would get from owners who wanted to donate them or find some magic (cheap and easy) fix to their husbandry and health issues. Johnny considered it a priority to take the time to explain things to these people. We all know the patience and diplomacy that is needed for this, and I respected him so much for doing it. I was greatly influenced by this and am still trying to follow his example, nearly thirty years later—just one more case of his mentoring. I remember being surprised about it at the time, too, as a newcomer stepping into a business that was rife with Arnett-lore of the rowdier variety—and then discovering there was this other facet to Johnny—one of many, I was to learn, as I came to know him. And I am so grateful that I did as he was a great mentor and a dear friend."
Val Hornyak

John Arnett is survived by Tami, his wife of 27 years, and their two daughters, Mariah and Naomi. Tami has requested that anyone who wants to send condolences please do so by email at

tnjarnett1@yahoo.com

VenomLand extends its deepest sympathies to the family and friends of John Arnett. He will be missed, not only by us in the herpetological community, but especially by the Komodo Dragons and Hellbenders.
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomland.org

Page 1 of 1