VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Naja nigricollis woodi

Go down 
+9
Bret Heydenrych
Mike Dabs
Nigel Sowter
Sebastian Arvidsson
Francois Theart
Henco Nienaber
Randy Ciuros
Michael Burmeister
Brett Glasby
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Brett Glasby
Brett Glasby

Male
Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2011-08-04

Naja nigricollis woodi Empty
PostSubject: Naja nigricollis woodi   Naja nigricollis woodi Icon_minitimeFri 18 Nov - 14:58

Two weeks ago we got a call out to a service station for a snake in a car engine.
Naja nigricollis woodi Dscn1011
Turns out the owner of the car had been touring the Tankwa Karoo and on arrival in Cape Town decided to have his oil checked. When the attendant opened the bonnet of the car this guy reared up and spat at his face, the venom caught the gentleman on the side of the face.
Naja nigricollis woodi Dscn1012
Back to top Go down
Michael Burmeister
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2010-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Naja nigricollis woodi   Naja nigricollis woodi Icon_minitimeFri 18 Nov - 15:32

Seems they like catching lifts in cars, there was a similar story when I was working in the Northern Cape. This has to be my all time favourite cobra species, I was lucky enough to be able to keep a few of them and they really are a pleasure. Are you going to be able to keep this one? I know the Western Cape Nature Conservation is very difficult but surely they can make an exception in a case like this?
Back to top Go down
Randy Ciuros
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Randy Ciuros

Male
Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Naja nigricollis woodi   Naja nigricollis woodi Icon_minitimeFri 18 Nov - 16:32

That is a beautiful specimen. One of my few favorite African species. How can I get some of those?
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomstreet.com
Brett Glasby
Brett Glasby

Male

PostSubject: Re: Naja nigricollis woodi   Naja nigricollis woodi Icon_minitimeFri 18 Nov - 16:40

Cape nature has agreed to allow this animal to go into sanctuary. It should be moving by next week.
Back to top Go down
Henco Nienaber
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2010-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Naja nigricollis woodi   Naja nigricollis woodi Icon_minitimeFri 18 Nov - 19:33

I just made a comment on another forum stating that Cape nature is not heartless... this proves it. Thanks Cape nature and well done on the rescue.

H
Back to top Go down
http://www.bergrivier.co.za
Francois Theart

Male
Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2011-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Naja nigricollis woodi   Naja nigricollis woodi Icon_minitimeFri 18 Nov - 21:07

Beautiful woodi
Back to top Go down
Sebastian Arvidsson
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Sebastian Arvidsson

Male
Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2011-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Naja nigricollis woodi   Naja nigricollis woodi Icon_minitimeFri 18 Nov - 23:10

it is a nice snake and turn to the owner did not get the venom in the eyes
Back to top Go down
Nigel Sowter
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male
Number of posts : 406
Registration date : 2010-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Naja nigricollis woodi   Naja nigricollis woodi Icon_minitimeSat 19 Nov - 7:35

WOW! I like the look of that. Don't get to see those down here in Australia. Are they always this colour? do they come in black & yellow?-my favorite colours. I think a trip to South Africa is in order. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Mike Dabs
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Mike Dabs

Male
Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2010-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Naja nigricollis woodi   Naja nigricollis woodi Icon_minitimeSun 20 Nov - 0:29

Uhhhh what a beauty
Back to top Go down
http://Skorpionfan.beepworld.de
Bret Heydenrych

Male
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Naja nigricollis woodi   Naja nigricollis woodi Icon_minitimeWed 30 Nov - 0:18

The coolest of all cobras ,I'm trying for a permit to keep some but they are very hard to get .I wish i could have a surprise like that under my hood,awesome pics by the way,Cheers
Back to top Go down
Conny Larsson
Conny Larsson

Male
Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2011-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Naja nigricollis woodi   Naja nigricollis woodi Icon_minitimeThu 1 Dec - 0:32

Absolutely stunning!
Back to top Go down
Twan van Berge
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Twan van Berge

Male
Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2010-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Naja nigricollis woodi   Naja nigricollis woodi Icon_minitimeTue 21 Aug - 3:34

the most beautiful african cobra
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male
Number of posts : 1266
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Naja nigricollis woodi   Naja nigricollis woodi Icon_minitimeTue 21 Aug - 4:00

A very nice specimen indeed.
by the way - it's scientific name is Naja nigricincta woodi.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilienzoonockalm.at
Twan van Berge
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Twan van Berge

Male

PostSubject: Re: Naja nigricollis woodi   Naja nigricollis woodi Icon_minitimeTue 21 Aug - 4:20

Peter Zürcher wrote:
A very nice specimen indeed.
by the way - it's scientific name is Naja nigricincta woodi.

how many nigricollis subspecies does exist Peter?
its a bit confusing.
in the past woodi was a nigricollis subspecie right?
and what about naja atriceps?
why is it so complicated
it seems that some sientists change the names over and over again.

Naja nigricollis nigricincta Bogert 1940
Naja nigricollis var. fasciata Bocage 1895
Naja mossambica nigricincta Broadley 1968
Naja mossambica woodi Broadley 1968
Naja nigricollis woodi Broadley 1974
Naja woodi Bauer & Branch 2003

please help Peter.

cheers,
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male

PostSubject: Re: Naja nigricollis woodi   Naja nigricollis woodi Icon_minitimeTue 21 Aug - 4:42

There are no nigricollis subspecies anymore.
Naja nigricollis atriceps has been described as a subspecies of Naja nigricollis and is regarded as a synonym of the latter nowadays.

Our planet was believed to be a disc once.....
Some Naja species belonged to the genus Coluber once....

Understanding the nature and it's creatures and their relationships may look complicated to many people, but what scientist are doing with their "changings over and over again" is coming closer to the truth .......

regards
Peter
Back to top Go down
Twan van Berge
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Twan van Berge

Male

PostSubject: Re: Naja nigricollis woodi   Naja nigricollis woodi Icon_minitimeTue 21 Aug - 4:53

Peter Zürcher wrote:
There are no nigricollis subspecies anymore.
Naja nigricollis atriceps has been described as a subspecies of Naja nigricollis and is regarded as a synonym of the latter nowadays.

Our planet was believed to be a disc once.....
Some Naja species belonged to the genus Coluber once....

Understanding the nature and it's creatures and their relationships may look complicated to many people, but what scientist are doing with their "changings over and over again" is coming closer to the truth .......

regards
Peter

what do you always found something nice words to explain Very Happy
thanx Peter crystal clear to me.
Back to top Go down
Brett Glasby
Brett Glasby

Male

PostSubject: Re: Naja nigricollis woodi   Naja nigricollis woodi Icon_minitimeTue 21 Aug - 14:26

Hi Peter

Thank you for giving me that name change. All the reference books I have here have not been updated. The Spitter was placed in a suitable facility as we could not narrow down its point of origin well enough to get permission from the authorities to release.
At the moment we are still in Winter and the snakes are for the most part hibernating but we have still had a few puff adders and the odd cape cobra being picked up due to poor choices of hibernation spots( normally inside someones home or garage.)
Back to top Go down
Frédéric Seyffarth
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Naja nigricollis woodi   Naja nigricollis woodi Icon_minitimeTue 21 Aug - 15:46

Hello all,
I can advise you the book "Venomous Snakes of Africa" (2007) from TerraLog serie (Chimaira edition). It is updated and there is always a word about taxonomy changes.

Last edited by Frédéric Seyffarth on Mon 23 Sep - 16:29; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male

PostSubject: Re: Naja nigricollis woodi   Naja nigricollis woodi Icon_minitimeTue 21 Aug - 17:13

The 2007 - issue (don't know if there's a newer one) isn't up-to-date.
Wether Naja ashei nor Naja senegalensis are included, and Naja haje is still splitted in different subspecies including Naja haje legionis.
Beside this, annulata and christyi are still treated as Boulengerina spp., and Naja multifasciata as Paranaja sp.
Back to top Go down
Frédéric Seyffarth
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Naja nigricollis woodi   Naja nigricollis woodi Icon_minitimeTue 21 Aug - 18:13

That's right,
I just think about the "Naja nigricincta woodi" in particular.
In the introduction, the authors tell a word about the investigations concerning the African cobras. I was just thinking that this book is interesting to have for any snake-keepers.
Thank you for your precisions.

Regards

Fred
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Naja nigricollis woodi   Naja nigricollis woodi Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Naja nigricollis woodi
Page 1 of 1