VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Echis carinatus sochureki sexual dimorphism

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Israel M. Sánchez
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Israel M. Sánchez

Male
Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Echis carinatus sochureki sexual dimorphism Empty
PostSubject: Echis carinatus sochureki sexual dimorphism   Echis carinatus sochureki sexual dimorphism Icon_minitimeWed 14 Dec - 2:22

Hi all.

A quick question Smile Could you tell me the degree of sexual dimorphism in size that exists in adult Echis carinatus sochureki? I recently acquired an unrelated couple, supposedly born in the same year, but I see the male way bigger than the female. I thought on putting both snakes into a big decorated terrarium but I do not know if that would be a good idea, so they are kept each on their place so far. Later I will post pictures of the animals but if the male is around 60-65 cm long, the female must be around 30-35 cm. I do not know if such a difference in size is normal for adult specimens, or if the female still has to grow.

Thank you for your help. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Peeter Põldsam
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Echis carinatus sochureki sexual dimorphism   Echis carinatus sochureki sexual dimorphism Icon_minitimeWed 14 Dec - 2:48

Actually the female should be bigger. On your case most probably the female was a very bad feeder as a babie. So you should feed your female properly now.
They can be dangerous to each other if kept together.
Back to top Go down
Peter van Issem
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Peter van Issem

Male
Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2009-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Echis carinatus sochureki sexual dimorphism   Echis carinatus sochureki sexual dimorphism Icon_minitimeWed 14 Dec - 3:35

Hello Israel,
I agree with Peeter. Normaly the females are bigger and has much more boddie mass than the males! I´ve keeped diff. Echis species over the years, and a normal size for adults of both sexes are around 60 cm. I´ve seen a lot of WC from Pakistan, no one was bigger than this. But I keeped and breed this species and of corse this ssp. manny times. My biggest adult CB female was around 80 cm. The biggest male not more than 60 cm.
Like Peeter wrote, it can be dangerous for the female that it is keeped together with the male.
I will prefere to keep this female seperate for one year, and feed them good, not to much. The male will not grow up much more, only you will overfeed them.

BTW.: i have had such a case in V. a. ammodytes! And the ,,smale one´´ was never grow up, like the others. It´s sometimes like in humans ;-)
Back to top Go down
Israel M. Sánchez
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Israel M. Sánchez

Male

PostSubject: Re: Echis carinatus sochureki sexual dimorphism   Echis carinatus sochureki sexual dimorphism Icon_minitimeWed 14 Dec - 4:49

Ok, so the female will remain in her own cage and I will try to get her feeding and growing, and will pair them only for breeding. I will ask you when I attempt to breed them.

Thanks Peeter and Peter for the input!

Back to top Go down
Peter van Issem
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Peter van Issem

Male
Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2009-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Echis carinatus sochureki sexual dimorphism   Echis carinatus sochureki sexual dimorphism Icon_minitimeThu 15 Dec - 1:51

Hi,
yes that sound very good!

Only for Information - I have ,,breed´´ with a female that was around 35-40 cm maby a little bit more. I got a group of them 2,3 and this female was the smalest in this group. It was only the first days in the same Cage, than I seperate them. I´ve not sean that the have copulated. After some months it gave birth to 6 offsprings. Maby it was already mated before I got them? Echis cam be mature in very young age! But I prefere, to let them grow up for nearly the normaly adult size. In the most cases I breed with females of all species not before the are 3 or 4 years old. The males I used for breeding, when I think, the are mature.
Back to top Go down
Israel M. Sánchez
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Israel M. Sánchez

Male

PostSubject: Re: Echis carinatus sochureki sexual dimorphism   Echis carinatus sochureki sexual dimorphism Icon_minitimeThu 15 Dec - 20:48

Last night the female ate very well, but the male not... maybe he did read this thread and wants her to catch him in size. Smile

Back to top Go down
Carlos Villalba
Carlos Villalba

Male
Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2010-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Echis carinatus sochureki sexual dimorphism   Echis carinatus sochureki sexual dimorphism Icon_minitimeFri 16 Dec - 5:48

hello mates ¡¡ hola Israel que tal ?

In my experience is better to keep them separately , i get some neotates i kept them in the same terrarium and they are so aggressive with themselfs , one female kill the others ....best keep them separetly and try when after low temperature when temperature is raising after that period , but contact the last owner maybe they were togheter but i think is better to not loose the couple .

hehe maybe male have read it hehhe

Best whisses ¡¡

cheers ¡¡
Back to top Go down
Israel M. Sánchez
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Israel M. Sánchez

Male

PostSubject: Re: Echis carinatus sochureki sexual dimorphism   Echis carinatus sochureki sexual dimorphism Icon_minitimeFri 16 Dec - 6:07

Hi Carlos,

No, they were not kept together because they come from different owners.

Cheers
Back to top Go down

Echis carinatus sochureki sexual dimorphism
Page 1 of 1