VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Keep animals from tropics and desert areas in the same room

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Pascal Buri

Male
Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-03-18

Keep animals from tropics and desert areas in the same room Empty
PostSubject: Keep animals from tropics and desert areas in the same room   Keep animals from tropics and desert areas in the same room Icon_minitimeSat 31 Dec - 5:17

Does any of you guys keep animals from tropical and arid/desert areas in the same room or do you strictly separate them? Currently I keep some rattlers, Cerastes, Aspidelaps and dwarf Bitis in a room. Would be interested in Atheris chlorechis, but would not want to increase the overall humidity in the room.

Would be thankful for your thoughts

Cheers Pascal
Back to top Go down
André Weima
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Keeping diferent spec. in the same room.   Keep animals from tropics and desert areas in the same room Icon_minitimeSat 31 Dec - 5:26

Hello Pascal, I have tried to keep tropic and desert/European Vipers in the same room for some years. But it didn't work so well. As you know the European and desert animals need more or less a Winterrest. As I keep my Snakeroom very cool in Wintertime this is not good for the tropic spec. I have a Friend who keeps his tropic spec. in a separeted room wich is global warm all the year around. The European Vipers are kept in an other room, and is cooled down in winter. All the animals can stay in their own encloser. Witch is good for them, I think. At this moment I keep only desert- and European Vipers. Such as Vipera latasti (gaditana), Echis spec. and Pseudocerastes. They all stay in the cool room (5-10 Degrees Celcius) in their own terrarium. I will warm the whole room in March, so that the 'breeding-season' can begin. Good luck...
Back to top Go down
http://www.smallvipers.nl
Pascal Buri

Male
Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Keep animals from tropics and desert areas in the same room   Keep animals from tropics and desert areas in the same room Icon_minitimeWed 4 Jan - 1:56

Thank you for your reply André. I keep my animals as well in a room which gets quite cool in winter. Most probably I will keep focusing on smaller rattlesnakes and dwarf puffadders which for ms perspective us not a bad choice ;-)
All the best
Pascal
Back to top Go down
Klaus Roemer
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Keep animals from tropics and desert areas in the same room   Keep animals from tropics and desert areas in the same room Icon_minitimeThu 5 Jan - 0:47

I agree that keeping snakes from the arid and tropical zones in the same room can be a challenge - however, often the available space is limiting. For me, the following arrangement has worked fine. I keep desert and tropical species together in one room (for instance, Echis and Dendroaspis). Once a year (usually during January) I switch off the lights in the snake room and reduce the temp to 20-22°C during the day and 18°C during the night. That way the tropical species can get some rest and don't get hurt, and the desert species have at least some resting period at reduced temps. In my experience, this is sufficient for the later initiation of mating. The reduced photo period may here be as helpful as reduced temps.

One warning hint though for those who may have a mite infestation in one or the other of the enclosures, as I had some years ago. The reduced temps can lead to an explosive proliferation, so check all winter-resting animals regularly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Keep animals from tropics and desert areas in the same room   Keep animals from tropics and desert areas in the same room Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Keep animals from tropics and desert areas in the same room
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VenomLand :: VenomLand Forum :: General Venomous Snake Keeping-
Jump to: