VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

neonate feeding tips

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Dave Clemens

Male
Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2011-10-05

neonate feeding tips Empty
PostSubject: neonate feeding tips   neonate feeding tips Icon_minitimeFri 3 Feb - 23:22

Hi everyone. I am not sure if there has already been a thread regarding this. I have seen that beef heart works very well for young non feeders. I recently discovered that crab sticks work brilliantly too. any other bizarre tricks that you know of?
Back to top Go down
mark craddock
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
mark craddock

Male
Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2009-02-20

PostSubject: Re: neonate feeding tips   neonate feeding tips Icon_minitimeSat 4 Feb - 1:37

Dave Clemens wrote:
Hi everyone. I am not sure if there has already been a thread regarding this. I have seen that beef heart works very well for young non feeders. I recently discovered that crab sticks work brilliantly too. any other bizarre tricks that you know of?
Beef heart tends to be used as force feed food. I use cat meat with good success. Did your snakes take crab sticks voluntarily? What species are they?
Back to top Go down
Dave Clemens

Male
Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2011-10-05

PostSubject: Re: neonate feeding tips   neonate feeding tips Icon_minitimeSun 5 Feb - 22:09

It was a particularly difficult schleg i managed to feed on crabsticks. It was a strange method... With a pair of rubber tipped tweezers i gently lifted the snakes middle (knowing this would initiate a strike response to the offending article, in this instance, the tweezers). Then with a second pair of tweezers i placed the crabstick section near the other tweezers. The snake bit into it and held it for 5 or so minutes. i sat very still the whole time and eventually it ate it with no interfering from me. will try this again a few times then switch to scented pinks.
Back to top Go down
Klaus Roemer
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: neonate feeding tips   neonate feeding tips Icon_minitimeSun 5 Feb - 23:49

I found small frozen/thawed pieces of chicken to work well in many instances in which youngsters stubbornly refused to take food.
Back to top Go down
Peter van Issem
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Peter van Issem

Male
Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2009-03-08

PostSubject: Re: neonate feeding tips   neonate feeding tips Icon_minitimeMon 6 Feb - 0:42

I don´t worked the last 15 years with beef heart, I use heart´s from chicken, because theier substance is very similar to that of that from reptiles, I think its always better for smal snakes and the defecate very fast after feeding with this. Smal fishes are a very good food too, but I´m sure you all know that. I prefere this to forcefeed the group of asian pitvipers, because it is a compl. organism! All included, not only flesh. The acceped also parts of frogs, you can bought at the chinese food marked. Not the best idee to support this, but it worked too!
Back to top Go down
Jannico Kelk

Male
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: neonate feeding tips   neonate feeding tips Icon_minitimeSun 25 Mar - 1:17

I've used chicken soup to scent some things.
For frog eating colubrids, I've scented live pinkies with cane toads (pest in Aust) being careful not to get any toxins on the pinky.
Back to top Go down
Jannico Kelk

Male
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: neonate feeding tips   neonate feeding tips Icon_minitimeSun 25 Mar - 1:20

I've used chicken soup to scent some things.
For frog eating colubrids, I've scented live pinkies with cane toads (pest in Aust) being careful not to get any toxins on the pinky.
I've also bought surgery string, tied rodents legs to it and dangled it infront of snakes that primarily rely on eye sight to get them stimulated. Demansia sp, also chase prey so I drag it through the enclosure to.
I've gotten good results so far. Only two more to go!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: neonate feeding tips   neonate feeding tips Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

neonate feeding tips
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VenomLand :: VenomLand Forum :: General Venomous Snake Keeping-
Jump to: