VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Hi from Austin, Tx - Excited to learn more

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Derek Vallejo

Male
Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2012-05-12

Hi from Austin, Tx - Excited to learn more Empty
PostSubject: Hi from Austin, Tx - Excited to learn more   Hi from Austin, Tx - Excited to learn more Icon_minitimeTue 15 May - 3:55

Cheers y'all !

Great forum, with lots of excellent information and awesome pictures !

I'm sure most will think I started a little strong out of the gate. I've never had a snake before, and am now the proud caregiver of a handsome male Crotalus Atrox !

In my defense, I didn't choose him, he chose me !

I found him in my front yard !

I've been doing a lot of reading / research online and this appears to be the best source of good information. I've been lurking for a few months, as I wasn't sure if I was going to keep my little buddy.

I found him the week before Halloween 2011, so I've had him almost 7 months now, I believe he couldn't have been more than a month or two old at the time.

My next door neighbor found & killed one in his backyard that same week, and some time later they ran over one in the driveway, and their kids ran over one with their bikes in the street, and two more were found by kids at the bus stop ! ! !

So even with my ignorance, I've already given my boy a better life than his brothers & sisters it appears !

I initially was just going to keep him through the winter, under the premise I was doing him a favor & he would be 'better off' in my heated home than outdoors fending for himself Smile

However, now that winter is over, i've grown attached to him, and have decided to make him party of the family.

So while I would agree a Crotalus Atrox, isn't exactly a beginners pet, and I shall hunker down for the firestorm of criticism.

I am here as I would like to learn how to best make him happy & comfortable, while also keeping my life & extremities !

I have him in a 30 gallon aquarium, with multiple hides

I tried to give him warmed pinkies initially, and after repeated refusals, I now give him live mice.

I'm happy to answer any requests for additional details, and I have more than a few pictures to share !

I've been eagerly browsing for ideal enclosures and intend to have a more mechanically inclined friend construct a house adequate for him to grow to full adulthood in safely & happily, I like the trap/hide box component, so as to safely clean up after him & give him water and what not !

Anyone have any ideas / thoughts / suggestions on a 'toy' for him, I don't want him to be bored, and want him to be stimulated, although he seems weary of new items being introduced into his habitat.

At any rate, apologies for the LONG intro, while i'm very new, i'm also sincere, and I will endeavor to not go 'full retard' and avoid news coverage of my passing and putting a negative light on the herp community !

-Derek
Back to top Go down
Piero Moroni
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Piero Moroni

Male
Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2012-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Austin, Tx - Excited to learn more   Hi from Austin, Tx - Excited to learn more Icon_minitimeTue 15 May - 6:41

I wish you welcome to the forum.
Pass a pleasant time with us.

See you soon ..

cat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Austin, Tx - Excited to learn more   Hi from Austin, Tx - Excited to learn more Icon_minitimeWed 16 May - 4:09

Good evening Mr.Vallejo,

you told that you keep the rattlesnake in a aquarium? Ìt is a aquarium for fishes?
Back to top Go down
Derek Vallejo

Male

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Austin, Tx - Excited to learn more   Hi from Austin, Tx - Excited to learn more Icon_minitimeWed 16 May - 10:13

Piero: Thank you ! Your female Bothriechis schlegelii is BEAUTIFUL !

Niko: Yes, he is in what was originally a 30 gallon aquarium for fish. but no water now ! I have added rock heater, and overhead lamp for warmth. Water dish in corner, and a few places to hide !

I am working on a design for his new home for him to have room to grow in. That is safe for him and me. It's easy now as he isn't as long as the aquarium is tall.

I have picture of him for view at link below, and will add photo of his home next !

http://www.venomland.net/t5712-crotalus-atrox-introductory-portrait
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Austin, Tx - Excited to learn more   Hi from Austin, Tx - Excited to learn more Icon_minitimeThu 17 May - 1:48

Hello Derek,

i asked because a aquarium is not safe enough to keep a venomenous snake like
a vivarium/terrarium.how do you close the aquarium on the top?
dont feel safe because the snake isnt long as the aquarim is tall!!
Back to top Go down
Derek Vallejo

Male

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Austin, Tx - Excited to learn more   Hi from Austin, Tx - Excited to learn more Icon_minitimeThu 17 May - 9:23

Niko: Oh, I understand now. Yes, I do want to keep him IN the aquarium !
I bought from local pet store a fitted lid that is mesh metal above him, so lamp can warm & shine through.

It is temporary, and I am in process of trying to daydream & sketch a 'great' enclosure he can happily grow to full size in and have it built.

But, I have already had him almost 7 months and he seems to be growing quickly ! I feed him small mouse every two weeks. Recent reading suggests perhaps I should feed him weekly during his first year.

Thank you for the tip, and I welcome any and all constructive criticism, in how to best enjoy him safely, while he is as happy as possible

-Derek
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male
Number of posts : 1266
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Austin, Tx - Excited to learn more   Hi from Austin, Tx - Excited to learn more Icon_minitimeThu 17 May - 15:09

That aquarium might be okay when it comes to safety - if it's properly closed on its top.

On the other hand, working from the top isn't my cup of tea, and aquariums do not allow an exchange of air.
I would build (or buy) a good terrarium (with front opening glasses) as soon as possible - meanwhile this little critter will do it in that tank.
Additionally Derek should get some tools like a snake hook and a pair of gloves for safe handling. A plastic box to store the snake safely while working/cleaning in the terrarium will not be a bad investation too.

Of course, he's a beginner, and the question if it's okay to start with a rattlesnake may arise and could be discussed controversially.
Derek's living in rattlesnake country, and there might be more danger coming from additional, still undiscovered rattlesnakes in his yard than from the specimen he cares for.

I see a 33 year old adult trying to enter the world of venomous snakes and taking the trouble to do it in a serious way - and he deserves our help in my opinion.
He's willing to learn - and his first steps in cage setting with natural substrate and hiding places haven't been that bad.

There's only one thing to say: Derek, if you do not have experience with rattlesnakes, never, i repeat never underestimate the striking range of that snake and be always on a very safe side when handling it!

and, by the way, i personally didn't have any problems with that picture showing the snake and a mouse - this happens millons of times daily on this planet. To me it's not important if the snake or Derek (or some breeder) kills the mouse, it's more important under which (species-conform hopefully) conditions the mouse has lived before
But i would suggest, as most people will do, to feed pre-killed or frozen/thawed food items for various reasons.

regards
Peter

Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilienzoonockalm.at

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Austin, Tx - Excited to learn more   Hi from Austin, Tx - Excited to learn more Icon_minitimeFri 18 May - 18:18

Good words Mr.Zürcher!
Back to top Go down
Derek Vallejo

Male

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Austin, Tx - Excited to learn more   Hi from Austin, Tx - Excited to learn more Icon_minitimeFri 1 Aug - 2:22

Hi all, I'm happy to announce we are both still alive.  He is available and I put an ad in the sale / swop section if you are in the central texas area and are interested please let me know ASAP.

He's almost 3 years old now, and is right at 4 feet long

I owe much of my longevity to this forum and you're helpful pointers
( stay away from the sharp end! )

Hi from Austin, Tx - Excited to learn more <a href=Hi from Austin, Tx - Excited to learn more 14792610854_bf3eb4710a_bJeffrey_May 29th 2014 by coulromania, on Flickr" />
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Austin, Tx - Excited to learn more   Hi from Austin, Tx - Excited to learn more Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hi from Austin, Tx - Excited to learn more
Page 1 of 1