VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

A week and a half of solid Florida herping...

Go down 
+7
Mats Nehl
Stefan Olsson Jr
Neven Vrbanic
Rainer Fesser
Piero Moroni
Johann Prescher
Mike Spencer
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Mike Spencer
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Mike Spencer

Male
Number of posts : 386
Registration date : 2010-06-27

A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  Empty
PostSubject: A week and a half of solid Florida herping...    A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  Icon_minitimeMon 21 May - 18:25

A coiuple weeks ago I headed a few states east for 10 long, snake filled days. I know it's somewhat lacking on the hots front, but we struck out a few targets. I managed some quality stuff, though, and it was great to be herping with some old friends from back home again.

Within less than an hour of being in the state, I had my first up close and personal gator experience... the wide angle makes it look further away, but I was only 3 or 4 feet from it when it bailed and I snapped a quick shot.

A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  7233455116_e51d98dcd5_c
Alligator mississippiensis - American alligator by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

The first snake of the trip, right after the gator was a Southern black racer. Something I have seen plenty of here this year, so I didn't bother chasing it down... That night we headed up from Tampa to herp the ANF area for a few days with another friend who had also never been there.

On the way up we made a couple passes on some powerline cut and cruised this target:

A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  7233451146_fba6ed9e7b_c
Thamnophis sirtalis similis - Florida bluestriped garter by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

Just south of the Panhandle at around 11:30 pm on our way up, we blew past this guy at around 65 miles per hour. Still not sure how we managed to spot it, but I've been told it's a find of a lifetime for that area. I wish I had spent time actually shooting it.

A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  7233450628_c81fc59481_c
Lampropeltis getula getula - Eastern kingsnake by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

The next morning, we set out for some early cruising in for Eastern diamondbacks and Pine snakes, neither of which we had found. We cruised a few of these guys though.

A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  7233451756_3d9d462975_c
Coluber constrictor helvaticus - Brown chinned racer by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

We didn't know what the hell this guy was when we saw it crossing the road almost 1/4 mile away...

A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  7233449708_375c405a02_c
Masticophis (=Coluber) flagellum flagellum - Eastern coachwhip by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

Although not my longest 'whip to date, at just over 6 foot, this one had the biggest head I've ever seen... and the most attitude.
A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  7233450116_0fb9db2651_c
Masticophis (=Coluber) flagellum flagellum - Eastern coachwhip by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

The place we were staying at was littered with these little foreigners:

A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  7233454502_12566c8390_c
Hemidactylus turcicus - Mediterranean gecko by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  7233454078_395d907256_c
Hemidactylus turcicus setae by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

This anery pigmy was flipped under a fiberglass door or something.

A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  7233452540_e7686694fa_c
Sistrurus miliarius barbouri - Dusky pigmy rattlesnake by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

The Florida subspecies of these little guys was a welcome find during a slow afternoon of cruising:

A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  7233449078_2b87ea93f4_c
Opheodrys aeativus carinatus - Florida rough green snake by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

A few normal plate heads were cruised as well over the trip:

A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  7233448476_6c07d09b4c_c
Sistrurus miliarius barbouri - Dusky pigmy rattlesnake by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

It seems I can't herp anywhere anymore without coming across the resident boxies of the area:

A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  7233452386_465183949b_c
Terrapene carolina major - Gulf Coast box turtle by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

For not having rain in a few weeks, anurans were still surprisingly active...

A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  7233453652_5a4e0d9c57_c
Hyla squirrella - Squirrel treefrog by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

This one had quite the milk mustache...

A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  7233448770_cc82892f5a_c
Hyla cinerea - Green treefrog by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

These pitcher plants were a kind of cool sight to stumble upon in the middle of a palmetto field

A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  7233453296_1d4b0e15dd_c
Pitcher plants by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

After those couple days, we headed back down to the Tampa area.

The first snake I personally flipped was this little target... (I've always been a big fan of small snakes)

A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  7233447670_a0b8a95f9e_c
Rhadinaea flavilata - Pine woods snake by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

Herping SE a little ways, we stumbled upon this resident boxed up within the confines of a meth lab explosion...

A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  7233447232_35dbda6bf5_c
Terrapene carolina bauri - Florida box turtle by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

Cruising that area was rather unproductive, but we were searching for a needle in a haystack, really. Besides a cotton and ringneck, we cruised this guy. A different flavor than what I'm used to seeing at least...

A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  7233446578_9d94e99d5d_c
Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis - Eastern gartersnake by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

Another Hylid made an appearance at a small pond we were shining on the way back...

A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  7233446102_6b09695a80_c
Hyla femoralis - Pine woods treefrog by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

Not a day went by that we didn't see a couple of these fellas...

A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  7233445860_9ef9759623_c
Gopherus polyphemus - Gopher tortoise by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

I was starting to wonder if I was going to make it out of Florida without seeing a corn, when this little fella showed up in the headlights:

A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  7233443080_1555cbccac_c
Pantherophis guttatus - Red rat snake by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

The next morning we decided to hit a different type of habitat for two targets. Number one came as a complete heartbreak that never was redeemed... it had been hit shortly before because we had made a pass on that road no more than half an hour before and it wasn't there...

A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  _MRS7912

After not seeing anything else besides racers, and rain heading in, we decided to head somewhere else for the evening.

Cruising in the rain provided more cottonmouths, as well as this little fella in a roadside ditch.

A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  7233444698_1a1e263c70_c
Alligator mississippiensis - American alligator by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

The next morning we headed back for those two targets again, and ended up hitting paydirt at about 10:40 am...

A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  7233444434_1072872588_c
Heterodon simus - Southern hognose by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  7233443808_7f33cab2de_c
Hetorodon simus - Southern hognose by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

Cuban immigrants are were all over the place...

A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  7233443378_6cc62d5391_c
Anolis sagrei - Brown (Cuban) anole by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  7233441432_a5234fff52_c
Eleutherodactylus planirostris - Greenhouse frog by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  7233440886_7f90ea0353_c
Osteopilus septentrionalis - Cuban treefrog by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  7233440494_1cb8deb972_c

A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  7233440138_b58c82bbbb_c

This adult Red showed up under some carpet during a thunderstorm:

A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  7233441270_b014e50d56_c
Pantherophis guttatus - Red ratsnake by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

For being the apparently most common snake, these guys didn't hold up to their reputation... nor did this one hold up to it's namesake... Its ventris wasn't very picti...

A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  7233439142_629e6bf6c5_c
Nerodia fasciata pictiventris - Florida banded watersnake by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  7233439860_9f04f50a6e_c
Nerodia fasciata pictiventris - Florida banded watersnake by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

Another "snake" I wanted to see was one of these guys that I still haven't managed in Arkansas...

A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  7233438640_7f4a7e7757_c
Ophisaurus ventralis - Eastern glass lizard by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

I found this squirrel hangin' poolside while eating breakfast in my buddy's backyard...

A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  7233438158_9225e4f8c1_c
Hyla squirrella - Squirrel treefrog by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

The last night there, we decided to make one more run up to the Gulf Hammock area to try once more for one last target. We met success within half an hour or so of cruising, which made for the last photo worthy snake of the trip. (We did cruise one more pygmy and cottonmouth afterwards)

A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  7233437824_cfa14870ff_c
Gulf Hammock ratsnake - Pantherophis somethingorother by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr

Big thanks to my friends Zack, and Garrett for putting up with me for the whole time, Holly for putting us up for a few days up north, and Brad and Manning for some tips. I had a blast.

This is one of the roads we were cruising, and also my first attempt at really messing with exposure stacking..

A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  7233437384_0c407e6cd9_c
Central Florida by michaelrayspencer, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
http://www.michaelrayspencer.com
Johann Prescher
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Johann Prescher

Male
Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2011-02-23

PostSubject: Re: A week and a half of solid Florida herping...    A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  Icon_minitimeTue 22 May - 0:16

Very beautiful!!!
Back to top Go down
Piero Moroni
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Piero Moroni

Male
Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2012-04-12

PostSubject: Re: A week and a half of solid Florida herping...    A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  Icon_minitimeTue 22 May - 0:37

Super, I traveled free with wonderful pictures.
Big thank you Mike.

Regards..
Back to top Go down
Rainer Fesser
Systematicus
Systematicus

Male
Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2008-03-13

PostSubject: Re: A week and a half of solid Florida herping...    A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  Icon_minitimeTue 22 May - 3:29

Hello Mike,

thank you very much, one more of your trips for me to enjoy with your photos and description.

Cheers,
Rainer

Back to top Go down
Neven Vrbanic
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: A week and a half of solid Florida herping...    A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  Icon_minitimeTue 22 May - 4:28

Great pics Mike!
Back to top Go down
Stefan Olsson Jr
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Stefan Olsson Jr

Male
Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: A week and a half of solid Florida herping...    A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  Icon_minitimeTue 22 May - 4:54

Quote :
Herping SE a little ways, we stumbled upon this resident boxed up within the confines of a meth lab explosion...

- Finally the story make sense. That´s how the turtle outran the hare. Laughing

Cracking shots as always. Especially the Heterodon simus and the Ophisaurus ventralis are both stunning. And the Pitcher plants too - they look huge.

Thanks for the eye candy.
Back to top Go down
Mike Spencer
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Mike Spencer

Male

PostSubject: Re: A week and a half of solid Florida herping...    A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  Icon_minitimeTue 22 May - 6:17

Johann Prescher wrote:
Very beautiful!!!

Thanks a lot Johann, I greatly appreciate it.

Piero Moroni wrote:
Super, I traveled free with wonderful pictures.
Big thank you Mike.

Regards..

Thanks for checking out, Piero!

Rainer Fesser wrote:
Hello Mike,

thank you very much, one more of your trips for me to enjoy with your photos and description.

Cheers,
Rainer

Thanks a lot, Rainer. I'm glad everyone is enjoying it.

Neven Vrbanic wrote:
Great pics Mike!

I appreciate it, Neven.

Stefan Olsson Jr wrote:
Quote :

- Finally the story make sense. That´s how the turtle outran the hare. Laughing

Cracking shots as always. Especially the Heterodon simus and the Ophisaurus ventralis are both stunning. And the Pitcher plants too - they look huge.

Thanks for the eye candy.

Hahaha. Glad I can bring you the answers!
Thanks a lot for the compliments as usual, man. I really appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
Mats Nehl
Mats Nehl

Male
Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2012-05-21

PostSubject: Re: A week and a half of solid Florida herping...    A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  Icon_minitimeTue 22 May - 15:48

Awesome photos!! Made my day Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Xardas
Andre Schmid
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Andre Schmid

Male
Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2009-09-20

PostSubject: Re: A week and a half of solid Florida herping...    A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  Icon_minitimeTue 22 May - 16:24

Great Mike ! Thanks for sharing !
Back to top Go down
http://www.viperas.de/
Nigel Sowter
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male
Number of posts : 406
Registration date : 2010-11-29

PostSubject: Re: A week and a half of solid Florida herping...    A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  Icon_minitimeTue 22 May - 17:18

Excellent posting there Mike, love the pictures. Keep up the great work! Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Mike Spencer
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Mike Spencer

Male

PostSubject: Re: A week and a half of solid Florida herping...    A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  Icon_minitimeWed 23 May - 8:54

Mats Nehl wrote:
Awesome photos!! Made my day Very Happy

Glad you like 'em. Thanks a lot, Mats!

Andre Schmid wrote:
Great Mike ! Thanks for sharing !

Thanks for looking, Andre.

Nigel Sowter wrote:
Excellent posting there Mike, love the pictures. Keep up the great work! Cheers.

Thanks a lot, Nigel. I greatly appreciate it. Cheers
Back to top Go down
Arjan Breedveld
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Arjan Breedveld

Male
Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2010-11-25

PostSubject: Re: A week and a half of solid Florida herping...    A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  Icon_minitimeWed 23 May - 17:35

Verry beautifull pics Mike.
Thank you for sharing this with us.

Greetings,
Back to top Go down
Mike Spencer
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Mike Spencer

Male

PostSubject: Re: A week and a half of solid Florida herping...    A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  Icon_minitimeThu 24 May - 6:20

Arjan Breedveld wrote:
Verry beautifull pics Mike.
Thank you for sharing this with us.

Greetings,

Thanks for the compliments, Arjan, and thanks for checking it out.
Back to top Go down
Gustav Eloy
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Gustav Eloy

Male
Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: A week and a half of solid Florida herping...    A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  Icon_minitimeFri 25 May - 4:49

very nice findings and shots, did n `t found any C. adamanteus???
Back to top Go down
Mike Spencer
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Mike Spencer

Male

PostSubject: Re: A week and a half of solid Florida herping...    A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  Icon_minitimeSat 26 May - 2:48

Gustav Eloy wrote:
very nice findings and shots, did n `t found any C. adamanteus???

Thanks Gustav. Sadly, C. adamanteus was my biggest target of the trip and we ended up striking out on them this time. I'm hoping to go back again this year though...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A week and a half of solid Florida herping...    A week and a half of solid Florida herping...  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A week and a half of solid Florida herping...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VenomLand :: VenomLand Forum :: Fieldworks / Herptrips-
Jump to: