VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Cheers from California!

Go down 
+2
Piero Moroni
Ronald Streeter
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Ronald Streeter
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Ronald Streeter

Male
Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2012-06-08

Cheers from California! Empty
PostSubject: Cheers from California!   Cheers from California! Icon_minitimeFri 8 Jun - 19:57

Hello fellow herpetoculturists!
My first wild caught snake was a King Snake (Lampropeltis getula californiae), at about 13 years old. I put it in a box under my bed and didn't tell anyone. I put a small water dish and a chicken egg in with it. It died of dehydration within 24 hours. I was sad but at the same time elated that I had held a "snake" in my hands for the first time. I was floating on air for a few days because it released a passion in me for snakes, in general.

That experience was in southern California. I moved to other states, without acquiring any more snakes. Oh I found a few of the copious numbers of Garter Snakes(Thamnophis sirtalis), with their well developed "musk" scent. So not much interest in that species.

Then I remembered the venomous snake exhibit at the San Diego zoo, and my quest to acquire a "Cobra" began. I didn't care what species as long as it could present a "hood". What a Face

Then a job with a semiconductor electronic company put me in the state of New Mexico. I found out there that I could get a "venomous reptile permit". I was elated! My first shipment came from Sandy, Utah. They were a male and female "albino" Monacle Cobra(Naja kaouthia). Both about 6 months old and feeding on "pinkies". I created a secure reptile room and my collection grew very quickly, coming directly from importers in Florida. I eventually acquired in no particular order. 2 King Cobras (Ophiophagus Hannah). The larger one was 12 foot long. Then a Snouted Cobra ( Naja Haje Annulifera), followed by 2 juvenile Spectacled Cobras ( Naja Naja). Then a Tigersnake (Notechis Scutatus), which was very mellow even though it possessed a toxic venom.

Then I added a hatchling Papuan Taipan(Oxyuranus scutullatus canni). This was the most "nervous" species I had ever seen. It would violently strike at any movement it detected, even though it was about 12" long. At the time I didn't realize that it was potentially the most "deadly" snake in my collection. Within a week it struck at my movement and bit itself in the abdomen, which killed it within seconds.(I was devastated). After that I added a hatchling Black Mamba(Dendroaspis polylepis), it was about 12" and would display it's black mouth(open). It became very docile as it approached 24" and I worked up the "courage" to "neck" it. I was very careful that it's head did not move sideways in my grip. That would have been potentially a fatal accident.

I acquired a Spitting Rinkhals (Hemachatus haemachatus). It "at first" refused to "spit". But within about 6 hours, it was "spitting" copious amounts of venom on the glass aquarium, which I had to constantly clean off. I "necked" the albino Monacle cobras and the Black Mamba, and "milked them on a rubber covered vial, to extract some venom. I sweated profusely the first few times that I milked these specimens. The albino Monacle Cobras were much more nervous than the Black Mamba, which almost appeared to be "tame".

I attempted to "neck" the 12 foot King Cobra, but when I touched its tail, it struck at my hand about 3-4 feet. So I always put it in a "hide" box to clean its massive enclosure. It was "moderately" defensive to say the least. It was "afraid" of live rats and I didn't feed it snakes, so I had to do the "honours" and beat the rat against a bench( 1 quick blow) to kill it first before I feed it to him. In the beginning the King Cobra would just allow a live rat to walk about without killing it. Therefore my method was necessary.

The next snake I acquired was quite docile and moved like a "caterpillar" for locomotion. It was an Olmec Viper(Atropoides olmec). It was short and "stout" and even though it was capable of a quick "viper" strike, it was reluctant to do anything but wander where ever I put it on the floor. It had no "fear" and no "aggression" or defensive behaviour.

Well, there's plenty more stories to report but I'll end my introduction now. (Oh, I was never bitten by any venomous reptiles, miraculously) During a 6 year hosting of my personal serpentarium. My wife tolerated my "hobby" very well. Even though she was nearly bitten by my Yellow Eyelash viper(Bothriechis schlegelii). I was cleaning it's enclosure and put the tree branch stand on the dining room table with it nested tightly between two branches and forgot tell her as she was preparing dinner. Yeah that was my only mistake. pale

Talk to everyone soon! Enjoy! Ron

Last edited by Ronald Streeter on Tue 19 Jun - 16:42; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Piero Moroni
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Piero Moroni

Male
Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2012-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Cheers from California!   Cheers from California! Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jun - 23:50

Hello Ronald ;

I wish you welcome to the forum.

See you soon and hope to read you ..
Back to top Go down
Ronald Streeter
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Ronald Streeter

Male
Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Cheers from California!   Cheers from California! Icon_minitimeWed 4 Jul - 15:58

Another part of the story, with my personal serpentarium..... My wife who is not a herper, saw the beautiful colours on my friends very large Western Gaboon Viper/Bitis gabonica rhinoceros, so she wanted a baby.

I got her one, but didn't allow her to have any "responsibilities" for it. She would look at how "cute" it was but that's it. My close friend who has a lot of experience was the only one I trusted to manipulate/handle the animals in my care.

A few times I had a problem with the 12 foot King Cobra/Ophiophagus hannah, when it's eye coverings would not shed properly. My solution was to coax him into his hide box, and then I would put that in the bathtub and close the shower door.

Then I would open the hide box door and when he came out I would pull the box out with an attached string. Then I would fill the tub with warm water. He "King Tut" would swim around and after he relaxed completely I would put a stick with pencil eraser against the eye and rub.

"Tut" did not mind this process and made no attempt to bite. Like many herpers, I became too comfortable with this process. So one time I left the bathroom, with him in the tub because my friend had just arrived downstairs.

When we both came upstairs, I told him that "Tut" was in the bathtub shedding a little. But when we looked inside, he had climbed up to the shower head and was about to make his way over the top of the shower door.

I ran in and gave him a little push with the grabstick and he slipped down back into the water. Then as usual, I allowed the tub to drain and slipped his hide box into the tub. "Tut" was very good about going into it and I closed the hide box door with the grabstick. "Snake Secure!" Laughing

Tut was a captive born animal that I purchased from someone in the state of Ohio, when he was about 10 feet long. That herper would allow Tut to climb onto his shoulders, but he never became "that" tame for me. And I am the type who never allows venomous to move onto my body unrestrained.
Back to top Go down
Mike Brown

Male
Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2012-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Cheers from California!   Cheers from California! Icon_minitimeThu 5 Jul - 8:05

Hello Ron and welcome to the forum! I look forward to hearing more of your stories and maybe picking your brain for some knowledge. Ive owned many venomous snakes but am just breaking into elapids.
Back to top Go down
Christian Hennemann
Christian Hennemann

Male
Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Cheers from California!   Cheers from California! Icon_minitimeFri 6 Jul - 17:53

Hello Ron

Welcome to the Forum.

Best regards

Christian
Back to top Go down
Gio Vitalie

Male
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Cheers from California!   Cheers from California! Icon_minitimeMon 27 Aug - 16:13

Oh man you have the beautiful creatures in CA...I want to see them soo bad.
Back to top Go down
Franz Schönen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Franz Schönen

Male
Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2012-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Cheers from California!   Cheers from California! Icon_minitimeTue 28 Aug - 2:07

Hello and Welcome to the Forum Ronald.

Best regards..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cheers from California!   Cheers from California! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cheers from California!
Page 1 of 1