VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Ronald Streeter
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Ronald Streeter

Male
Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2012-06-08

My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas Empty
PostSubject: My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas   My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas Icon_minitimeThu 16 Aug - 1:39

This is a somewhat low resolution photo of my home built bird spider terrarium.

My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas Id9b1w

This is my bird spider Poecilotheria regalis about 6" + size female. A very mellow spider, no attitude. I named her "Kali".
because they inhabit the rainforests of Kerala, India. Almost at the equator, so high humidity 70% and about 80 degrees Fahrenheit is the average temperature. She is a good eater on crickets. Breeding may come later because their habitat is being destroyed slowly. Beautiful girl. Shocked

My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas 200fqkm

Regards, Ron
Back to top Go down
Martin Romanov
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Martin Romanov

Male
Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2010-08-02

PostSubject: Re: My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas   My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas Icon_minitimeThu 16 Aug - 2:03

I'm waiting for my ornata that I ordered. Pokies are one of my favourite.
Back to top Go down
http://terraristic.net
Ronald Streeter
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Ronald Streeter

Male

PostSubject: Re: My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas   My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas Icon_minitimeThu 16 Aug - 11:29

Good choice Martin! Ornata is the largest in this genus. Although Rufilata is close in size to Ornata. If you get them a hollow cork log, they love it. Smile

Best regards, Ron
Back to top Go down
Martin Romanov
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Martin Romanov

Male

PostSubject: Re: My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas   My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas Icon_minitimeThu 16 Aug - 13:53

Ronald Streeter wrote:
Good choice Martin! Ornata is the largest in this genus. Although Rufilata is close in size to Ornata. If you get them a hollow cork log, they love it. Smile

Best regards, Ron

I had a female ornata long ago but I sold her and still regret it.
Back to top Go down
Ronald Streeter
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Ronald Streeter

Male

PostSubject: Re: My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas   My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas Icon_minitimeThu 16 Aug - 23:55

I'm actually looking for a Phoneutria ssp. source in the U.S. Particularly P. Keyserlingyi. They are the most advanced species to keep in my opinion.

Just getting close to their hide often triggers a warning display. Beautiful and very toxic. Not easy to find where I am.

Best regards, Ron
Back to top Go down
Martin Romanov
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Martin Romanov

Male

PostSubject: Re: My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas   My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas Icon_minitimeFri 17 Aug - 1:17

Ronald Streeter wrote:
I'm actually looking for a Phoneutria ssp. source in the U.S. Particularly P. Keyserlingyi. They are the most advanced species to keep in my opinion.

Just getting close to their hide often triggers a warning display. Beautiful and very toxic. Not easy to find where I am.

Best regards, Ron

I haven't had any experience with them but I've read that their venom is really nasty. If you want a good scare get Selenocosmia javanensis. That's the only spider that I've kept which trully scared me.

BTW. I've noticed that your regalis has a very orange underbelly. I've only seen white ones.
Back to top Go down
Ronald Streeter
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Ronald Streeter

Male

PostSubject: Re: My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas   My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas Icon_minitimeMon 10 Sep - 23:17

I'm working to acquire a Stromatopelma calceatum for my next birdspider.
Until then, here is another pic of my Poecilotheria regalis laying comfortably in her tree.......

My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas 21lsvpd
Back to top Go down
Franz Schönen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Franz Schönen

Male
Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2012-08-20

PostSubject: Re: My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas   My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas Icon_minitimeTue 11 Sep - 4:06

Hi ;

Beautiful species that are Poecilotheria.
I have a female P. and P. ornata metallica.

Best..
Back to top Go down
Lennart Pettersson
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Lennart Pettersson

Male
Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2010-08-31

PostSubject: Re: My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas   My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas Icon_minitimeTue 11 Sep - 16:07

Ronald Streeter wrote:

Best regards, Ron

I've kept and bred P. nigriventer and their reputation is somewhat worse then how they are. Yes, they can dart off in tremendous speed and sure they are not too happy to see the keeper but overall they are not that difficult to manage and they tend to calm down quite a lot after a while in captivity. However, its not a genus for all especially if you never had experience with fast climbing species such as Heteroscoda or Stromatopelma.

The skull on the Poecilotheria sign there is a bit obsolete. Yep they are deadly - if you are a cricket. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.minaxtarantulas.se/svenskaherptiler/
Martin Romanov
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Martin Romanov

Male

PostSubject: Re: My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas   My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas Icon_minitimeTue 11 Sep - 21:16

Well there have been pretty nasty bite reports from Poecilotheria of coarse no deaths but still... I wouldn't want to be bitten by this species. I think that if a child gets bitten It will be pretty serious.
Back to top Go down
Lennart Pettersson
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Lennart Pettersson

Male
Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2010-08-31

PostSubject: Re: My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas   My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas Icon_minitimeTue 11 Sep - 22:20

Martin Romanov wrote:
Well there have been pretty nasty bite reports from Poecilotheria of coarse no deaths but still... I wouldn't want to be bitten by this species. I think that if a child gets bitten It will be pretty serious.

I would be surprised if that haven't happened in India but as far as I know no reports of fatal bites
nobody wants to be bitten ofcourse but that skull might give doctors the wrong impression what kind of situation they have to deal with
Personally I do believe many of the "bite reports" written by hobbyists are a bit over the top.
Back to top Go down
http://www.minaxtarantulas.se/svenskaherptiler/
Ronald Streeter
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Ronald Streeter

Male

PostSubject: Re: My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas   My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas Icon_minitimeWed 12 Sep - 10:42

Good to hear about your experience with Phoneutria. Still no luck with that one for me, but I expect to have Stromatopelma c. within a couple of weeks. Maybe only a juvie.

I agree that the venomous label is over-the-top for adults. I don't know what effect the P. regalis has on children, although no children are living with me. It is more for keeping my visitors from putting their hands in there. Smile
Back to top Go down
Martin Romanov
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Martin Romanov

Male

PostSubject: Re: My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas   My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas Icon_minitimeWed 12 Sep - 22:44

I don't know if you have had any previous experience with Stromatopelma but you should know that they tend to jump out of their enclosures before you even know what's happening Smile I'm starting to slowly rebuild my collection of spiders although it will contain only a few species that I like. I am more of a reptile guy Very Happy

Last edited by Martin Romanov on Thu 13 Sep - 7:00; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kelly Chabak
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Kelly Chabak

Female
Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2010-09-29

PostSubject: Re: My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas   My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas Icon_minitimeThu 13 Sep - 6:24

Picture number two rocks!
Back to top Go down
Ronald Streeter
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Ronald Streeter

Male

PostSubject: Re: My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas   My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas Icon_minitimeThu 13 Sep - 19:03

Thank you Kelly! I will eventually have access to a good Nikon, Canon or nicely built German camera. Need to have a high quality macro lens for some High def. close-up shots.

I don't fear her, so I would be willing to get a tighter shot. If I am bitten, I would go to the ER and ask for muscle relaxers and antihistamine. The cramps are long lasting with most bites lasting, as much as 1 week, all the way up to a few months. Shocked

Martin, yes the Stromatopelma c. is a jumper for sure. They don't usually bite if just running, but will bite if restrained while trying to escape. I may have two juvies shipping on monday. Hoping to have at least one female, but sex will be unknown for quite awhile as these would be 1" babies.
Back to top Go down
Ronald Streeter
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Ronald Streeter

Male

PostSubject: Re: My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas   My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas Icon_minitimeThu 4 Oct - 22:14

Just a quick update pictures later. I received 2 baby Stromatopelma c. 2 1/2 weeks ago. They have been feeding well. Now they have gotten darker in colour, so they may molt soon.

After they molt, I will post some pics. They are extremely fast as expected. They will actually reach top speed at about 3" in length, so utmost security must be observed to prevent escape.

I use a medium clear plastic bag over the outside of all enclosure operations. This is the safest way I have found so far. There is no foolproof method, but this is the best way that I could think of.

They could penetrate skin, but I doubt that there would be much venom at this size, but who knows for sure. They like to jump. Smile
Back to top Go down
Ronald Streeter
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Ronald Streeter

Male

PostSubject: Re: My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas   My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas Icon_minitimeWed 24 Oct - 21:07

These are somewhat low resolution pics of one of my Stromatopelma babies. Dorsal/Top view...

My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas 1e3vrc

Ventral/Bottom view...

My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas 2wcfngm
Back to top Go down
Ronald Streeter
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Ronald Streeter

Male

PostSubject: Re: My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas   My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas Icon_minitimeThu 29 Nov - 19:00

If all goes well, I should be receiving a couple of sub-adult Phoneutria boliviensis. These are not the "fearsome" banana spider.

They are a somewhat "milder" cousin. Although you would not want to be bitten.

They have the "beautiful" Phoneutria shape/looks/behaviour which would be interesting to observe.
Oh, and they are lightning quick. Even faster than my Stromatopelma. Shocked

Update: this purchase could not happen because of the high cost, and too many animals required(12 adults).

If I am able to find 2 P. keyserlingyi, then I would purchase those however.
Back to top Go down
Ronald Streeter
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Ronald Streeter

Male

PostSubject: Re: My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas   My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas Icon_minitimeMon 24 Dec - 18:24

A short video of my Stromatopelma c.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas   My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My new Poecilotheria regalis terrarium/plexiglas
Page 1 of 1