VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Clearing Air On World‚s Smallest Snake Story

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Clearing Air On World‚s Smallest Snake Story Empty
PostSubject: Clearing Air On World‚s Smallest Snake Story   Clearing Air On World‚s Smallest Snake Story Icon_minitimeSun 7 Sep - 14:47

ˆ Researchers Response To The Media Coverage, and Response Of People of Barbados That This Was Not a New Species of Snake. From ˆ Blair Hedges, State College, Pennsylvania.
8/29/08. Published in local papers of Barbados

My Research on the Barbados Threadsnake was discussed in an article by Bryan Walker on August 8.

I understand the reaction of Barbadians to the news reports, when the snake was known already on the island. But this is true of almost any new species of reptile ˆ they are known by local residents.

The news reports were not clear, and caused much of this confusion. The thing that was discovered was not the presence of the snake on Barbados, but that it is an endemic species known nowhere else ˆ this was new. The research article can be obtained freely at:

Zootaxa

Before, that snake was considered the same species as the one on Martinique and St Lucia, and therefore not so special. The discovery was made by sequencing its DNA and by studying it carefully in a laboratory.

News reports failed to mention that I named the snake the "Barbados Threadsnake" in my scientific article. The scientific name ˆ which people rarely use ˆ was dedicated to my wife who helped with the research. This is a normal practice in the field of science called taxonomy, to dedicate a scientific name after someone.

What about the size? Wasn't it already the smallest? Because the species was confused, scientifically, the size was also confused. As it turns out, perhaps by chance, the new species defined on Barbados is even smaller than the one it was confused with previously, on Martinique.

Now, Barbados has a unique species, the Barbados Threadsnake, and one that is quite special because it is the smallest, unless someone finds a large specimen of it, or a smaller species elsewhere. It should be studied and protected.
In THE NATION article, Damon Corrie is quoted as saying that he showed me where to find the Threadsnake. That is not exactly true. He accompanied us on one day but there were no snakes at his places. The snakes came from a place that I found in the old literature, although he was present when one was collected and we enjoyed his company.

Finally, I must point out that there is a second very small snake on Barbados that is easy to confuse with the real Barbados Threadsnake. It is called the Flowerpot Blindsnake and is thin and black; it was introduced from Indonesia and is common in gardens and around houses (Bridgetown, and so on).

Most sightings of the "threadsnake" are probably of this different species.
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomland.org
Rainer Fesser
Systematicus
Systematicus

Male
Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2008-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Clearing Air On World‚s Smallest Snake Story   Clearing Air On World‚s Smallest Snake Story Icon_minitimeSun 7 Sep - 16:18

Hello Mario,

just a big "Thank You" for your contributions about articles.
This opens ways to get deeper knowledge about our interesting subject for people who are not used to scientific research.

I really appreciate the time and work you spend to let us all participate in this.

Greetings,
Rainer
Back to top Go down
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Clearing Air On World‚s Smallest Snake Story   Clearing Air On World‚s Smallest Snake Story Icon_minitimeSun 7 Sep - 17:19

Thank you very much Rainer,

but its really not a big deal! sometimes i do have enough time to search around and post herp- news here, as i believe, it is from interest for some of us. i have subscribed to many newsletters and get informations from all over the world. the biggest problem is to screen them and also that is not a big deal at all.

nevertheless i very much appreciate your kind words . critics are welcome, positive ones even more, especially from respected colleagues.

cheers
Mario
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomland.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clearing Air On World‚s Smallest Snake Story   Clearing Air On World‚s Smallest Snake Story Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Clearing Air On World‚s Smallest Snake Story
Page 1 of 1