VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Too havy for a farn?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Anton van Woerkom
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Anton van Woerkom

Male
Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2011-10-28

Too havy for a farn? Empty
PostSubject: Too havy for a farn?   Too havy for a farn? Icon_minitimeSat 20 Oct - 2:03

Hi all,

In the past I asked around for experiences how long it is possible to keep a schlegelii in a paludarium, before it becomes too heavy.
This morning I was surprised by a young schlegelii, that I obtained on the Snake Day last Sunday.
During the night it had climbed into a bush of farns at the bottom of my paludarium.
It seems that the snake is careful enough to not damage the tiny fragile leaf stems and stay there for the whole day.
Its length is about 35 cm and the weight is 20 g.

Anton

Too havy for a farn? Farn_(fr)
Back to top Go down
Arjan Breedveld
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Arjan Breedveld

Male
Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2010-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Too havy for a farn?   Too havy for a farn? Icon_minitimeSat 20 Oct - 5:22

looks great.
So you'veb got two now.
Back to top Go down
Anton van Woerkom
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Anton van Woerkom

Male
Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2011-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Too havy for a farn?   Too havy for a farn? Icon_minitimeSat 20 Oct - 7:38

Hi Arjan,

In fact the snake on the above picture was an unintended purchase. It was bred in France and brought to the Snake Day, because somebody wanted to buy it. However, he didn't show up before the arranged time, so I was more than happy to buy it in his place, because it makes a perfect couple with the schlegelii I already possessed. Have a look at the picture below.

Besides that I ordered two schlegelii, one bred in Switzerland and one in Austria, but they are not that big yet, so I keep them in separate little containers, so they can gain some weight. This makes a total of four schlegelii, which should be enough to have at least one male in the group.

This male-female problem gives me a headache. My friend Ale from San Marino originally puchased two schlegelii, sold to him as a couple. However, they turned out to be two females. So he bought another male and also this turned out to be a female...
Last month Paul Taylor offered his offspring on the Eyelash Viper-group of Facebook and all 13 yellow babies were female...
It seems that most of the yellow schlegelii are female...

Anyway, I am happy with the four animals I have and we will see of which sex they are when they grow a little bigger.

Best wishes, Anton

Too havy for a farn? Couple

Back to top Go down
Gavin Carpenter
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Too havy for a farn?   Too havy for a farn? Icon_minitimeSat 20 Oct - 13:08

Hi Anton
I was told the same thing when I got my first Schlegelli from Germany, that males are not so common. I have bred them for the last 4 years and mostly yellow ones, and every year I have been very high on males. This last season from 16 yellow ones, I only had 5 females.
I am not sure why mine are always high on males!

Cheers
Gavin
Back to top Go down
Arjan Breedveld
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Arjan Breedveld

Male
Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2010-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Too havy for a farn?   Too havy for a farn? Icon_minitimeSat 20 Oct - 19:29

Looks awsome,
Great enclosure.
Interresting information guys.
Back to top Go down
Gustav Eloy
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Gustav Eloy

Male
Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Too havy for a farn?   Too havy for a farn? Icon_minitimeSat 10 Nov - 11:02

very nice cage and as long as they eat well and behave themselves it is ok do you have pics of the complete setup
Back to top Go down
Marcel van Broekhuijsen
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Marcel van Broekhuijsen

Male
Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2010-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Too havy for a farn?   Too havy for a farn? Icon_minitimeSun 2 Dec - 6:37

Nice photo's again Anton !
Keep us updated about your cage, really nice cage you got there !
Back to top Go down
http://treeviper.nl
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Too havy for a farn?   Too havy for a farn? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Too havy for a farn?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VenomLand :: Viperidae :: Bothriechis & Bothriopsis-
Jump to: