VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Spitting Cobras

Go down 
+4
Michael Bollhorn
Michiel Kooiman
Klaus Roemer
Peter Davies
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Peter Davies

Male
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2013-09-10

Spitting Cobras Empty
PostSubject: Spitting Cobras   Spitting Cobras Icon_minitimeThu 31 Oct - 17:32

Do spitting cobras tend to spit first before they try to bite? Or will they use both in different situations?
Back to top Go down
Klaus Roemer
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2011-03-26

Spitting Cobras Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spitting Cobras   Spitting Cobras Icon_minitimeThu 31 Oct - 19:23

The ones we kept (N. nigricollis, N. pallida, Hemachatus haemachatus) always spat first before they tried to bite. Naja siamensis, although classified as a spitter, never spat in the many years we had them.
Back to top Go down
Michiel Kooiman
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2012-08-16

Spitting Cobras Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spitting Cobras   Spitting Cobras Icon_minitimeFri 1 Nov - 18:12

I have siamensis and they bite and spit all over the place. Once they are agitated they go crazy untill you leave the room.. A lot of venom on the glass!
Back to top Go down
Peter Davies

Male
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2013-09-10

Spitting Cobras Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spitting Cobras   Spitting Cobras Icon_minitimeFri 1 Nov - 18:44

Ok so it sounds like they all act differently. Thanks for the replies.
Back to top Go down
Michael Bollhorn
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Michael Bollhorn

Male
Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2008-05-05

Spitting Cobras Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spitting Cobras   Spitting Cobras Icon_minitimeSun 3 Nov - 3:41

I keep
Naja siamensis - don't spit
Naja samarensis - never spit
Naja nigricincta - don't spit
Hemachatus haemachatus - some don't spit and some spit very much
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.103887216345740.6060.10
Bartholin Yann
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Spitting Cobras Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spitting Cobras   Spitting Cobras Icon_minitimeSun 3 Nov - 4:19

from my experience:
-N. Siamensis are snap happy but spit only if they are surprised(so rarely!). But spits anyway the guy that sold them to me never known that siamensis are spitters, so he never used eye protection.
-N. pallida starts spitting the body still in the eggs if you surprise them...so fresh WC adult spit a lot, but most of them calm down very fast(not all!)
-N. nubiae spits a lot but like pallida calm themselves very fast
-N. nigricollis spits even without hooding!
-N. Atra are snap happy like siamensis but spit more regulary if they are very pissed off!
as guide i tend ton consider asian spitters as casual spitters but very "snap happy" in berserk mode, and african spitters as true spitters, but it's not a rule and i don't adapt my handling technique to that, because there's always exceptions!
Back to top Go down
Liang Guo
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2012-12-15

Spitting Cobras Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spitting Cobras   Spitting Cobras Icon_minitimeSun 22 Dec - 18:20

My Naja.Siamensis spitted to my left eye when it arrived my home first time,lucky I am bespectacled at that time.After that it never spit again
Back to top Go down
Wade Kilian
Wade Kilian

Male
Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2013-02-24

Spitting Cobras Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spitting Cobras   Spitting Cobras Icon_minitimeSat 11 Jan - 21:48

I've kept nigricollis, mossambica, siamensis, Hemachatus haemachatus and I've worked with Naja atra. The siamensis and atra didn't spit at all, but hood and hiss impressively when agitated. The haemachatus and nigricollis only spat for the first few days after arriving. The mossambica, however, spit readily and sometimes in quick succession.

They all seem to have some defensive tactic prior to biting (what they do isn't very specific to the species but rather the individual snake) but all would bite readily if other methods don't work.
Back to top Go down
Paul Nicholas Dunn
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Paul Nicholas Dunn

Male
Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2011-05-06

Spitting Cobras Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spitting Cobras   Spitting Cobras Icon_minitimeSun 12 Jan - 7:14

I had Naja pallida and never got sprayed once however protection is always a must as theres always a first time for everything.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Spitting Cobras Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spitting Cobras   Spitting Cobras Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spitting Cobras
Page 1 of 1