VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

NEW -- From Northern California

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
John Delgado
John Delgado

Male
Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2014-12-07

NEW -- From Northern California Empty
PostSubject: NEW -- From Northern California   NEW -- From Northern California Icon_minitimeMon 8 Dec - 4:50

Greetings fellow herpers Smile

I am an avid forum member on another site -- And VenomLand came highly recommended to me by a member there, and he is of course a member here.

My name is John Delgado; from Northern California, little town of Ukiah, in Mendocino County

My wife and I are new to field herping - And our specific interest is Rattlesnakes

In May od 2013 my wife and I decided that since we fear a rattlesnake, and have never seen one... our decision to go look for one was made in effort to get over the fear. HHhahaaaa... OMG  Shocked  we found a rattlesnake in it's natural environment affraid And THAT was a day that changed our lives for-EVARRR...!!!

Then came the 2014 season and although we got a late start, wasn't until June that we were on a hike and found snake tracks everywhere...! - We knew that the tracks HAD TO be rattlesnake. The terrain, the size of tracks... like I said... 'everywhere' -- So, we just had to get our camera and snake gear and go back, and we did... we found and recorded thirteen (13) rattlesnakes in about a two month time period.

I will be sharing the pics and video we took over the past season here on VenomLand -- But in 2015, I'm starting early...! bounce

NOTE: We are NOT collectors; we handle the rattlesnakes with care, we take pics and video only... then return God's most amazing and misunderstood creation back to it's natural habitat.

This is a pic of my fav catch of 2014 season -- Northern Pacific Rattlesnake - Crotalus oreganus oreganus -- We named "Travis"

NEW -- From Northern California <a href=NEW -- From Northern California DSC_0070_zps723f482b" />
Back to top Go down
Nate Cerniglia
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Nate Cerniglia

Male
Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2013-10-21

PostSubject: Re: NEW -- From Northern California   NEW -- From Northern California Icon_minitimeMon 8 Dec - 7:11

Beautiful find! Oreganus are one of my absolute favorites.
Back to top Go down
John Delgado
John Delgado

Male

PostSubject: Re: NEW -- From Northern California   NEW -- From Northern California Icon_minitimeMon 8 Dec - 8:37

Ahhh man... this guy was STUNNING... gorgeous pic, but still... no justice.

And he was very animated too... rattled the entire 30 minutes or so time I spent with him.

He was very aware at all time... continuous DEFCON 1, or DEFCON 2 -- ALL systems armed and ready - Had me on LOCKED target at all times.
Back to top Go down
Rainer Fesser
Systematicus
Systematicus

Male
Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2008-03-13

PostSubject: Re: NEW -- From Northern California   NEW -- From Northern California Icon_minitimeMon 8 Dec - 18:29

Hello John,

First: Welcome to this forum!
Second (but not meant as "last"): That is a beautiful picture of an extraordinary C. oreganus. Thank you.

I´m looking forward to more of your photos (animals and maybe habitat too),
best regards,
Rainer
Back to top Go down
John Delgado
John Delgado

Male

PostSubject: Re: NEW -- From Northern California   NEW -- From Northern California Icon_minitimeTue 9 Dec - 6:35

Thank you -- Haha... it's a funny story; every time my wife and I go rattlesnake hunting, and we venture through the area where we caught Travis... we always call his name "Travis... Traaaaaaavis... where are you Traaaaaaavis...?"

We just have to-have to see him again someday : Cool

I'll be posting video soon... I think it's a week before I'm allowed to post video - correct? Question
Back to top Go down
Ronald Streeter
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Ronald Streeter

Male
Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: NEW -- From Northern California   NEW -- From Northern California Icon_minitimeTue 9 Dec - 18:36

Welcome John, that is one beautiful C. oreganus! So much good info here to understand the diversity of reptile life both captive and of wild populations.
Back to top Go down
Rainer Fesser
Systematicus
Systematicus

Male
Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2008-03-13

PostSubject: Re: NEW -- From Northern California   NEW -- From Northern California Icon_minitimeTue 9 Dec - 18:45

Hello John,

your chances to find "Travis" or other individual rattlers you have seen again are quite high. They are quite territorial.

I used to go searching for rattlesnakes in Texas, New Mexico and Arizona for many years and could find many specimens of C. lepidus (+ klauberi), molossus, ornatus, viridis and atrox in the same places over several years. Finding them was especially easy under cooler conditions as they usually could be found on one or two special spots for sunbathing.

It is the same here in Europe with the vipers that live here. During my research about Vipera ammodytes I could watch some individuals for over 20 years using the same den for hibernation (and breeding in front of it in spring) and another place from spring to autumn that was in some cases quite far away from the den, finding their way from one to the other twice each year. And in most of these snakes the spot for warming up in the morning was the same over the years.

Good luck for next year,
Rainer
Back to top Go down
John Delgado
John Delgado

Male

PostSubject: Re: NEW -- From Northern California   NEW -- From Northern California Icon_minitimeTue 9 Dec - 19:06

Ronald Streeter wrote:

Welcome John, that is one beautiful C. oreganus! So much good info here to understand the diversity of reptile life both captive and of wild populations.

You know me from CGN right...? You know that.

Thank you Ron for recommending VenomLand -- this is a great site, and I am certain I'll have a home here.

Rainer Fesser wrote:

Hello John,

your chances to find "Travis" or other individual rattlers you have seen again are quite high. They are quite territorial.

Good luck for next year,
Rainer

Thank you Rainer... and yes, I have heard this to be true. Denise and I do look forward to seeing Travis again.

In addition to Travis, there is another rattler we want to see again... his name is 'Sylvester' -- He makes his springtime home in some man-placed boulders around a camp site where motocross recreationists park for the day to have lunch and BBQ. The trash they leave behind feed the rodents quite well, and the rodents... well, you know... they feed the rattlesnakes Laughing And from the looks of Sylvester... the rodents feed him really-GOOD...!!! Oh he's a BIG BOY...!  Shocked

We did visit Sylvester 4 or 5 times in the course of about two months... we handled him only twice. I'll be posting video and pictures once my 7 day probation is done.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NEW -- From Northern California   NEW -- From Northern California Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NEW -- From Northern California
Page 1 of 1