VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Hemachatus haemachatus, cycling for breeding, triggers

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Timothy Gould

Male
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-03-30

Hemachatus haemachatus, cycling for breeding, triggers Empty
PostSubject: Hemachatus haemachatus, cycling for breeding, triggers   Hemachatus haemachatus, cycling for breeding, triggers Icon_minitimeWed 5 Aug - 22:22

Hello,

I have a friend who is 44, doesn't use the internet, and only has a cheap flip-phone, so I am posting on his behalf.  He has worked with Hots for at least 13 years if not more, specializing in many Naja spp. and has successfully bred a handful of them.  He now has 1.1 Hemachatus haemachatus which are eating and doing well (just acquired the female which is CBB'2011 and girthy, and the male is at least a few years old, not sure if WC/LTC, CB or CBB).  They look almost identical which may or may not be indicative of same locality, but regardless, this leads to my one inquiry/concern...

Is it true Hemachatus haemachatus will only mate with same-locality specimens?  I am from the States and hear this a lot, that it is the most common reason for lack of success.  Is there any validity to this?  One particular breeder, Sean Trimbach/Best Exotics, LLC, has built an adult 4.5 group (of all variations) for years but hasn't successfully bred any.  He also admits to not cooling as low as he (thinks he) should have which may have been cause of failure, and which leads to inquiries on behalf of my friend, but let Us start from the top, id est, basic husbandry (and NOTE: it's not like he doesn't know anything, but there's not much literature on these guys, especially not about breeding):

1) Presumably, the sexes should be kept separate?
2) What size enclosure for each gender?
3) Which substrate, or mixtures of 2+ substrates, is preferred?
4) Provide water bowl large enough to soak in, or unnecessary?
5) Cage furniture: driftwood, rocks, and/or other?  (Obviously, a hideout on each end of the thermal gradient.)
6) Heating: pads, tape, panels, ceramic emitters, or (UVA) heat lamps?
7) UVB lighting?
8.) Daytime and nighttime temperatures; what do You provide month by month, or season by season, or at least in Summer and Winter?  I presume this page: Johannesburg Climate & Temperature would be a good guide?
9) Photoperiod; do You simulate Nature precisely?  Or just provide 12/12 most of the year and complete darkness during brumation?  Perhaps up to 14/10 at the height of Summer and 10/14 (or even less light) during Winter?  With my animals (no Rinkhals), I use this Sun Calculator for precision, and I know Hemachatus haemachatus will bask during Winter days which contradicts the claim of needing to be cooled into a "true" brumation of complete darkness and inactivity.
11) On that note, living in the Northern Hemisphere (NH), I believe these animals are altered/adapted to NH seasons; otherwise, do You maintain WC specimens' natural Summer (December) and Winter (June)?  This is for if-and-when I acquire a fresh WC pair someday.*
12) Precipitation and monsoons: if-and-when, and how heavy or lightly, do You mist Your animals?  Post-brumation at all?  Not that I see significant precipitation in what I think would be early Spring (September/October), in the link provided in Question #8.

Brumation/cooling questions:

13) Just how cool, and for how long, should Hemachatus haemachatus be brumated or cooled?
14) Which substrate (or mixture) do You use for brumation if different from rest of the year?
15) Do You change the diet any time of the year, perhaps post-brumation, and for females in particular?  Maybe add some anurans in there?

Breeding questions:

16) What is Your exact method for introduction of the sexes; id est, do You introduce the female to the male, or vice versa?  For how long do You keep them together?  Will You reintroduce them 1-2 weeks later to ensure she took?  And do You separate them after a short time if they don't seem to be locking, perhaps for safety reasons?
17) Any triggers You implement to make them receptive?

Aaand...I think that's it.  Again, his pair is doing great, but because only a couple of people have successfully bred Hemachatus haemachatus in the U.S., he seeks advice to be the next successor.  Particularly on cycling, cooling, introduction, and triggers.

Thanks in advance for any and input!!

Sincerely,
Timothy

*Is it true their collection/exportation has been regulated?  According to Johan Marais in his book, Snakes & Snakebite in South Africa published last year, Hemachatus haemachatus are quite prevalent in many areas such as Johannesburg, so I would find such regulation unnecessary (I mean; everything should be regulated to some degree large or small, collection/exportation kept in moderation, but not completely banned in the case of H. haemachatus).
Back to top Go down

Hemachatus haemachatus, cycling for breeding, triggers
Page 1 of 1