VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Frog With Green Blood, Turquoise Bones Found in Cambodia -The Samkos Bush Frog (Chiromantis samkosensis)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Frog With Green Blood, Turquoise Bones Found in Cambodia -The Samkos Bush Frog (Chiromantis samkosensis) Empty
PostSubject: Frog With Green Blood, Turquoise Bones Found in Cambodia -The Samkos Bush Frog (Chiromantis samkosensis)   Frog With Green Blood, Turquoise Bones Found in Cambodia -The Samkos Bush Frog (Chiromantis samkosensis) Icon_minitimeTue 6 Jan - 3:57

12/18/08 (Information from FFI and BBC) A frog with green blood and turquoise bones has been discovered in Cambodia's remote Cardamom Mountains, international conservation organization Fauna & Flora International (FFI) announced today.

The Samkos bush frog (Chiromantis samkosensis) is thought to be extremely rare, the UK-based charity said in a news statement. "Its strange colored bones and blood are caused by the pigment biliverdin, a waste product usually processed in the liver.

"In this species, the biliverdin is passed back into the blood giving it a green color; a phenomenon also seen in some lizards. The green biliverdin is visible through the frog's thin, translucent skin, making it even better camouflaged and possibly even causing it to taste unpalatable to predators."

The frog was first seen in 2000 but officially identified as a new species only last year. An FFI expedition in 2008 to look for more Samkos bush frogs could find only one individual, which was perched on a reed above the road where its breeding pond used to be.

"It appears the species is highly localized, breeding in temporary rain pools in evergreen forest at around 500 metres above sea level. Nothing else is known about its ecology," the FFI statement says.

Fauna & Flora International consultant naturalist and photographer Jeremy Holden, who discovered the Samkos bush frog, said: 'When I found the frog, I had a thrilling suspicion that we were looking at an entirely new species of amphibian. Photographing these frogs has been a challenge. They were extremely difficult to find, but thanks to their distinctive calls we managed to get some excellent shots and record them for posterity."

The new frog is one of four "new-to-science" frog species discovered by FFI in Cambodia. Cambodia's national list of amphibians now stands at 63 species.

"A Field Guide to the Amphibians of Cambodia", authored by Jeremy Holden, was published by FFI in October.
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomland.org

Frog With Green Blood, Turquoise Bones Found in Cambodia -The Samkos Bush Frog (Chiromantis samkosensis)
Page 1 of 1