VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp.

Go down 
+17
Patrick Vince
David Nixon
Al Coritz
Pascal Wagenaus
Christoph Rothenbühler
Johan Pennanen
Patrice Lavigne
Terry Phillip
Wolfgang Wüster
Carsten Frömberg
Jamie Osburn
Harold van der Ploeg
Rob Deans
Rainer Fesser
Fabian Dirks
Peter Pastor
Peter Zürcher
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male
Number of posts : 1266
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. Empty
PostSubject: Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp.   Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. Icon_minitimeThu 12 Mar - 16:07

Just seen in a german forum (Schlangengrube)
one of the users there's asking for Boulengerina maindombensis, and I've never heard this name.
I hope one of our systematicus' did (Wolfgang? ) and can tell us more.....

Peter

Last edited by Peter Zürcher on Fri 20 May - 17:26; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilienzoonockalm.at
Peter Pastor
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Peter Pastor

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2008-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp.   Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. Icon_minitimeWed 8 Jul - 17:25

Few weeks ago I promised to Peter Z. write something about this species over this forum. As we have some update according to it, I think it`s right time for it now. I have to appologize for quality of pictures, also background of cages. We still keep them in more hygienic conditions, as under natural ones...

Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. Cwcmal10

We have in collection 2 pairs of this species already almost 3 years. Shortly after their receiving we thought it`s Boulengerinna christyi (that time it was still genus Boulengerinna Surprised), but after consulting it with few more people we came to conclusion it`s an unknown species of this genus.
Our animals are from shipment, which wasn`t picked up by importer on the Airport! After 2-3 days on Airport people over there decided to do something, so they contacted dirrector of one ZOO in Czech republic. As none of ZOOs is prepared for carrying of so many venomous snakes , dirrector contacted us with question if we want them? We had to pay shipping fee, what was quite a lot of money, but as there were over 30 Boulengerinas, we both with Marek decided to take this opportunity and try it. This genus was always very interesting for us, so we can say our dream came through that time.

Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. Cwcfem10

Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. Cwcmal12

Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. Cwcmal13

Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. Cwcmal14

Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. Cwcmal15

Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. Cwcmal16

Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. Cwcmal17

Unfortunatelly, few more days after it showed us that reality is a little bit different as our plans. From all these specimens survived just already mentioned 2 pairs!!! Others didn`t make it already, as their condition was very bad… It`s well known that quality of animals in imports from Congo isn`t very good… Anyway, we were happy also for these 4 animals which survived. They cause us small problems from beginning, especially according to feeding. Two of them, males, were feeding on small mice since beginning, but females accepted just fish... Now, few years later, females accept mice too, but just those of very small size. It looks like due to shape of their head they are not able to swallow bigger pieces of food. It took approx. 2 years until we got them into good condition. After it we were hoping to have a luck also with breeding… As far as we know, this species wasn`t reproduced in captivity till now.
Since this spring we were trying to do several steps which could cause breeding of this cobras. In short we can say, that they were kept separatelly for a while, and after it introduced together in pairs. We changed pairs together, it means both males were with both females. First female didn`t show any interest in matting… Therefore it really surprised us, when we found her one evening nervously cruising around the cage. She refused feeding few weeks before it, and spent most of time in hidding/laying box containing wet spagnum. That evening we saw, that although she didn`t feed for quite a long time, her condition is very good, especially at the end of the body. We didn`t want to disturb her too much and left her alone. In the morning we found nice surprise – 4 surprisingly very big white eggs, which looked ok to us. Their size really surprised us, as well as their shape. As we saw on few pictures of Naja annulata female after laying, eggs were very small, and in high quantity. Eggs of this species looked more as eggs of mambas, as of cobras… It`s a shame that quantity of them wasn`t higher, but we are happy also with these 4 Surprised) Eggs were placed into incubator with hope some of babies can make it and hatch when their time comes.

Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. Cwc_eg12

Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. Cwc_eg10

Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. Cwc_eg13

Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. Cwc_eg14

Second pair showed up much bigger mating behaivour several weeks after first one, so we are hoping that also second female can do something for us. As it isn`t sure at the moment, we have just wait and see what will happen… I will keep you posted about next progress as with incubation of eggs, the same about possible breeding of second female…

I don`t know if name mentioned as a topic of this threat is valid, so I would appreciate if somebody (WW) could give us some comments about it...
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male
Number of posts : 766
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp.   Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. Icon_minitimeWed 8 Jul - 17:32

WOW. Good luck with breeding. Stunning animals.

Best RGDS Fabian

Last edited by Fabian Dirks on Wed 8 Jul - 17:50; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.rear-fanged.com
Rainer Fesser
Systematicus
Systematicus

Male
Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2008-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp.   Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. Icon_minitimeWed 8 Jul - 17:48

Good luck, Peter!

Rainer
Back to top Go down
Rob Deans
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Rob Deans

Male
Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2008-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp.   Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. Icon_minitimeWed 8 Jul - 20:06

That is very exciting. Good luck Peter.
Back to top Go down
Harold van der Ploeg
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Harold van der Ploeg

Male
Number of posts : 282
Registration date : 2008-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp.   Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. Icon_minitimeWed 8 Jul - 20:15

Interesting!
Good luck with incubating the eggs.

Cheers,
Harold
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomenal.com
Jamie Osburn
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2008-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp.   Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. Icon_minitimeThu 9 Jul - 4:01

Wow! That is awesome. So is this species officially described as Naja maindombensis now? If so, is there a paper in the works? They look like that odd Naja that I saw in one of Al Coritz's videos. What is their behavior like? I keep 1.1 Naja annulata annulata and they are fairly laid back; they are captive bred though. What sizes are they? This is really cool. Thanks for sharing. The Water cobras of Africa are among my favorites. -Jamie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp.   Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. Icon_minitimeThu 9 Jul - 4:56

very cool,goodluck with the eggs Very Happy very nice snakes Cool ,hope to get some spiecies of watercobra's in the future
Back to top Go down
Carsten Frömberg
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp.   Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. Icon_minitimeThu 9 Jul - 17:10

Very nice!
Congratulations for your success!
Back to top Go down
Peter Pastor
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Peter Pastor

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp.   Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. Icon_minitimeThu 9 Jul - 17:19

Thank you all, guys Wink

Jamie: I am not sure if this species is described already under mentioned name. It was used over German forum... Anyway, you are right. It`s the same species as you saw over Al`s video. Al and Terry have 2 males in collection...
This species is quite small, much smaller as annulata is. I would say approx. 80 cm...

Cheers,
Peter
Back to top Go down
Wolfgang Wüster
Systematicus
Systematicus

Number of posts : 273
Registration date : 2008-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp.   Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. Icon_minitimeThu 9 Jul - 18:38

The name "maindombensis" does not exist under nomenclature rules, there has been no scientific description of this species. It is under investigation.

Cheers,

WW
Back to top Go down
http://www.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/
Jamie Osburn
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2008-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp.   Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. Icon_minitimeFri 10 Jul - 7:31

Cool, thanks for the update guys. I look forward to reading about them when everything is all hashed out. 80cm? Wow, that is small. My annulata are around 70cm and they aren't even a year old! Good luck with the eggs. I look forward to seeing some pictures of the little ones when they hatch out. -Jamie
Back to top Go down
Terry Phillip

Male
Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp.   Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. Icon_minitimeMon 24 Aug - 12:22

Peter,
So how did these eggs pan out? This is a phenomenal species of cobra and it would be grand if you hatched a few out... Our male is fantastic but I too am amazed at reproductivity at 80cm..that is so cool!

Cheers!
Terry
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilegardens.com
Patrice Lavigne
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp.   Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. Icon_minitimeWed 26 Aug - 9:31

I'm always happy when a new specie is described; i've seen couple of pics of these cobras some years ago, under the name of Boulengerina annulata. More recently, I've read a description of Limnonaja christyi by Schmidt, but it seem that his description features doesn't fit with this ''speckled water cobra'' !

I hope a name will be given to this snake soon !!!
Back to top Go down
Peter Pastor
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Peter Pastor

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp.   Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. Icon_minitimeThu 27 Aug - 1:55

Hello all,

we were waiting with answer until there is something we can share. We were checking incubator very often last few days , and got already a little bit nervous, as 2 months period, which is normally incubation period for cobras, past already... All 4 eggs were still looking good, so we were hoping that incubation will be successful.
Yesterday, after opening an incubator, we have found good sign finally. Here are some pictures:
Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. 110
Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. 210

We both with Marek and his brother (who is helping us with everything) were very happy about it, and couldn`t wait till today`s morning. I was over snake room first ( Cool ), and found this...
Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. 310
Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. 410
Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. 510

All 4 eggs are "cutted", so it looked all 4 babies are going to hatch. Whouuu, we were so happy. Later during a day, before we went home from snake room, one of babies hatched. Amazing moment!
Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. 610

First CB Congo water cobra came!!!! I can`t wait till tomorrow morning, when others are hopefully hatched as well... I will keep you posted, guys....
Btw, just for record, eggs were laid on 17th of June, and first baby hatched on 26th of August, exactly 70 days after laying of eggs. Incubation temperature was approx. 29 degrees... Wink
Back to top Go down
Johan Pennanen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Johan Pennanen

Male
Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp.   Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. Icon_minitimeThu 27 Aug - 4:04

Congrats Peter!!
cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp.   Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. Icon_minitimeThu 27 Aug - 4:22

awesome work guys Cool goodluck with these baby's
Back to top Go down
Harold van der Ploeg
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Harold van der Ploeg

Male
Number of posts : 282
Registration date : 2008-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp.   Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. Icon_minitimeThu 27 Aug - 21:19

Nice!!
Congratulations Peter and good luck with the others.

Cheers,
Harold
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomenal.com
Christoph Rothenbühler
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp.   Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. Icon_minitimeThu 27 Aug - 21:32

Congrats Peter,
Fantastic animals... good luck with them.

chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptiles.c-ro.ch
Pascal Wagenaus
Pascal Wagenaus

Male
Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2009-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp.   Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. Icon_minitimeThu 27 Aug - 23:01

Wow Peter... very good job and awesome animals.
Congratulations!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.hotsnakes.de
Peter Pastor
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Peter Pastor

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp.   Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. Icon_minitimeSat 29 Aug - 3:58

Hi again,

thanks for nice wishes... Here I am with short update...
All 3 remaining babies stayied in eggs yesterday, so we had to wait one more day to see final result. One of babies was out of egg today in the morning, but Marek had to help to next 2 babies a little bit Wink
As it looks, all babies are ok, and in good shape. As far as we checked, there should be 1 male and 3 females among this 4 babies. Not so bad, but we have to check it later again...
Here are few more pictures...

Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. 111

Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. 211

Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. 311

Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. 411

Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. 511

Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. 611

Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. 710

The following picture was made just as a comparission of baby size and adult man hand.
It has nothing to do with promotion of free handling of venomous snakes! DO NOT TRY IT AT HOME!!
Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. 810

Cheers,
Peter

Last edited by Peter Pastor on Sat 29 Aug - 16:52; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp.   Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. Icon_minitimeSat 29 Aug - 5:45

congrats,hopefully they get started well,and there is more breeding of this species in the future Cool
not to be difficult,but taking a baby snake on your barehand of species of witch the venom is not well know
and antivenom may not be available is not smart imo Wink
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male
Number of posts : 1266
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp.   Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. Icon_minitimeSat 29 Aug - 15:41

First of all, I think Peter as a experienced keeper knows well what he's doing.

In my opinion, it's not the question one should do such things or not ore these handlings are "smart" or not - it's the question we should show it on a public board or not, as beginners (and curious people) are reading here too.

Maybe pictures like this should have attached a warning statement like: "Handling these snakes needs a lot of experience - don't try that with your snakes at home"?

In my further opinion, it's also not a clear question of antivenom available or not - for several reasons.
If keeping and handling of venomous snakes depends on availability of antivenom, one should not keep (and not handle at all) snakes like Naja samarensis, for example.

I won't do that with a juvenile rattlesnake - unfortunately I don't have the possibility to do it with these cute water cobras. Sad

Congratulations, Peter, great success!

regards
Peter
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilienzoonockalm.at
Peter Pastor
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Peter Pastor

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp.   Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. Icon_minitimeSat 29 Aug - 16:50

Dear Dave and Peter,

thanks for wishes, we are both with Marek very happy and proud, although it`s surely is more mather of luck as experience.
I knew picture with baby on hand could cause a discussion. It was made just show you the size of baby, nothing else. We are not doing such things normally, and for sure not with more agressive and danderous species. This cobras are very calm and placide, that`s why we did it... It`s nothing brave, just mather of comparission of freshly hatched babies and human hand. I think it`s very interesting to show how big these babies are, especially when one take in mind fact, that`s adults are approx. 80 cm in length....

According to antivenom, I think Saimir antivenom could help in the case of need, and we have it. I am not 100% sure about it, but it`s better as nothing... But that`s out of what I wanted to write....

Peter, check your PM soon, I didn`t forget what we talked about 2 months ago Wink

Cheers,
Peter
Back to top Go down
Al Coritz
Al Coritz

Male
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp.   Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. Icon_minitimeMon 31 Aug - 4:20

Congrats Peter !! Well Done!

I aquired 30 of these about the same time but were in very sad condition. Of the 30 only two males survived. Subsequent attempts to find an honest dealer in DRC has been fruitless, with a friend and I losing "ernest money" to 2 different persons. These are truely fantastic animals, laid back, not aggressive and (if I dare to say) friendly & curious. I seldom say this but they or CB N. annulata would make fine starter elapids.

Best Regards,

Al
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp.   Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Unknown Naja (Boulengerina) sp.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next