VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Venomous snakes and the Hobby

Go down 
+7
Brian Petrie
Arcy_Salvacion
Benjamin Lutz
Vangelis Rokkos
Karsten Hoer
Randy Ciuros
Mario Lutz
11 posters

Venomous snake keeping is:
nothing special
Venomous snakes and the Hobby Vote_lcap2%Venomous snakes and the Hobby Vote_rcap
 2% [ 2 ]
from scientific interest
Venomous snakes and the Hobby Vote_lcap17%Venomous snakes and the Hobby Vote_rcap
 17% [ 19 ]
unnecessary
Venomous snakes and the Hobby Vote_lcap0%Venomous snakes and the Hobby Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
special
Venomous snakes and the Hobby Vote_lcap18%Venomous snakes and the Hobby Vote_rcap
 18% [ 20 ]
totally crazy
Venomous snakes and the Hobby Vote_lcap1%Venomous snakes and the Hobby Vote_rcap
 1% [ 1 ]
just an beautiful hobby
Venomous snakes and the Hobby Vote_lcap62%Venomous snakes and the Hobby Vote_rcap
 62% [ 72 ]
Total Votes : 114

AuthorMessage
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Venomous snakes and the Hobby Empty
PostSubject: Venomous snakes and the Hobby   Venomous snakes and the Hobby Icon_minitimeFri 4 Apr - 20:17

Hello Folks,

what is it - you think - makes venomous snakes so interesting, that many people around the world like to put them self in danger in keeping this guys?

cheers
Mario
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomland.org
Randy Ciuros
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Randy Ciuros

Male
Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-03-18

PostSubject: My vote   Venomous snakes and the Hobby Icon_minitimeSun 6 Apr - 0:59

I said "Special". I'd like to be into venomous snakes in a scientific capacity as well as a collector/breeder capacity, but I haven't had the opportunity and don't have the educational background. I have kept snakes off and on, mostly on, for 40 years, having brought home my first snake when I was 7, according to my mother, and much to her dismay. She has come around though, and actually likes to look at my snakes, and she will handle the non-venomous.

All snakes are fascinating, but venomous snakes, because of their ability to inject venoms that reak havoc on the bodily functions of other animals, are even more fascinating to me. Cobras, all elapids really, would fascinate me even if they weren't venomous. Though that does not justify venomoids. I would still keep cobras if they weren't and had never been venomous, but being venomous just adds to their mystic.

Randy
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomstreet.com
Karsten Hoer
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Karsten Hoer

Male
Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2008-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Venomous snakes and the Hobby   Venomous snakes and the Hobby Icon_minitimeSun 6 Apr - 3:32

I said "Special" and "Just a beautiful hobby".

Special because there is always a risk of an fatal mistake. But when you follow the most important rules, it is just a beautiful hobby.

I kept my first snake with the age of 12. It was a babycornsnake. 10 years later i bought my first venomous, a albolabris, also an baby.

The differences between these two ? I was bitten by the cornsnake during maintaining the terrarium. It happens once a while because babys are so. When i was maintaining the albolabris, there was a venomous sign on the terrarium that reminds me always not to put just the hand inside to do my routine. And this sign makes me handling more carefully.

So what are the rules. In my opinion No.1 No fear but always respect. No.2 never let routine to arise. Routine let you make fatal mistakes. These are my roules for 15 years now and they protect me until now from bites.

And why venomous snakes ? Can you find more beautiful and more colourful species in the nonvenomous ? I can´t.

Karsten
Back to top Go down
http://www.karstenhoer.de
Vangelis Rokkos
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Vangelis Rokkos

Male
Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2008-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Venomous snakes and the Hobby   Venomous snakes and the Hobby Icon_minitimeSun 6 Apr - 4:31

I Agree absolutely with Karsten!!You can't find more colourful species in the non venomous!!!Unique shape and colouration.Venomous snakes is the most beautiful animals for me !! cheers
Back to top Go down
Benjamin Lutz
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Benjamin Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2008-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Venomous snakes and the Hobby   Venomous snakes and the Hobby Icon_minitimeWed 16 Apr - 18:31

i voted just an beautiful hobby!
it's my job and now my hobby.
in the past, before i start working at herpaworld, i didn't like reptiles!
i found them ugly, scary and weird creatures.

after a little while i was sleeping in our pavillion and then it happend, a Leiopython albertisii was crawling over my back!
Venomous snakes and the Hobby Albert11

i woke up got a shock and then i found it very amazing how these creatures feel like!

one day later i was on the way to the inside of our snakehouse until i saw my dad while he was sexing a Ophiophagus hannah so i touched it and since that time I'm pretty amazed with snakes.

That's why it is not my Job, no it's my hobby now.

Greetz Ben
Back to top Go down
http://www.the-reptileman.com
Arcy_Salvacion
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Venomous snakes and the Hobby   Venomous snakes and the Hobby Icon_minitimeTue 18 Nov - 19:32

before i am only interested in non venomous snakes, but when i went to Herpaworld and saw beautiful snakes like mcgregors viper, it was breath taking

i told my self i need to learn more and understand about his animals...

Thats why i voted for scientific interest and beautiful hobby

Cheers

_Arcy
Back to top Go down
Brian Petrie
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Venomous snakes and the Hobby   Venomous snakes and the Hobby Icon_minitimeWed 19 Nov - 7:40

Hi all,
I voted "special" because I think venomous snakes are the most interesting, fascinating and beautiful animals in the world.
When I was six, (in 1958), my Auntie, who worked in Africa, gave me a book on African wildlife. I turned a page and there was a picture of a Gaboon Viper, I have been totally hooked since that day, now, 52 years later, I am just as fascinated with them as I was then.
Not only are they very beautiful and interesting to study from a taxinomical and environmental point, but the fact that they are venomous as well makes them very "special" indeed.
All the best,
Brian.
Back to top Go down
Marc Dubois
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Marc Dubois

Male
Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Venomous snakes and the Hobby   Venomous snakes and the Hobby Icon_minitimeWed 19 Nov - 9:20

I said : a beautiful hobby

For me the hobby it's fieldherping because i can't keep venomous snakes in Quebec.

I think viperidae is the most beautiful group of snakes (shape, coloration & patterns). I'm lucky to live in a few hours to a day (by car) from Ontario and southeastern United-States. Every times i saw a ''pitviper'' in the wild it's so exciting to me.

One of my ''dream'' or a ''near futur project'' it's to go in Africa (Kakamega forest in Kenya or KwaZulu-Natal in south Africa) to see Eastern Gaboon Vipers in the wild and others of the genus Bitis.
Back to top Go down
Andrew Hacket
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Andrew Hacket

Male
Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2008-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Venomous snakes and the Hobby   Venomous snakes and the Hobby Icon_minitimeWed 19 Nov - 15:19

The snakes I like best changes every week !! Def a beautiful hobby , Hi Benjamin ! Thats an interesting experience especially with albertsii , if I get close to my albertsii they shit on me and bite me in the face , looks like it worked out better for you Smile
Back to top Go down
Curtis Stewart
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Curtis Stewart

Male
Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2008-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Venomous snakes and the Hobby   Venomous snakes and the Hobby Icon_minitimeWed 19 Nov - 20:38

For me, I picked just beautiful. I could add almost every other choice in there as well. I love this hobby and plan to stay in it as long as I can. I enjoy the challange as well.
Back to top Go down
Rob Deans
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Rob Deans

Male
Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2008-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Venomous snakes and the Hobby   Venomous snakes and the Hobby Icon_minitimeSun 28 Dec - 21:58

I think its hard to say why we keep venomous snakes. For me I do not know exactly what it is, I just know that the snakes that make me excited happen to be venomous. Its as simple as that. Oh, and indigenous to my country too Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Venomous snakes and the Hobby   Venomous snakes and the Hobby Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Venomous snakes and the Hobby
Page 1 of 1