VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

A Boiga species from Luzon

Go down 
+6
Jakob H. Christensen
Frank Weinsheimer
Jörg Porstmann
Mario Lutz
Jelmer Groen
matt yuyek
10 posters
AuthorMessage
matt yuyek
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
matt yuyek

Male
Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-04-01

A Boiga species from Luzon Empty
PostSubject: A Boiga species from Luzon   A Boiga species from Luzon Icon_minitimeFri 4 Apr - 22:28

The most common boiga species from Luzon, Philippines, is Boiga dendrophila divergens TAYLOR 1922. Keeping them in captivity is not much of a problem as long as temperature, humidity and ventilation are provided. Newly acquired wild-born specimens often are finicky feeders and would refuse whatever kinds of prey a keeper offers, although the food item comprises the snake's dietary requirement in the wild. To acclimatize B. d. divergens in a captivity, the terrarium has to be spacious and high enough in order for the snake to move around; to enable it to explore its surroundings, especially after dark. At daytime, these snakes seem to be resting all day long on a branch, and will only move if disturbed or agitated. I have bred B. d. divergens three times and had learned from the mistakes on how to rear the hatchlings. Incubation temperature must be kept between 28 and 32 degreess Celsius; RH at 70-80% for a period of 52-68 days. High humidity is very important for the hatchlings to thrive. It is done by having the water level inside the brooding tank kept at about 10 cm high. A couple of twigs are placed directly above the water so to offer the snake a place to rest upon. In temperate climate countries, it is advisable to make use of an aquarium heater to warm up the water, offering more humidity. Humidity under 50% will results in difficulty of shedding, inappentancy and worst, respiratory problems. Force-feeding is done with chopped Hemidactylus frenatus or pinky mice for the first 3-6 months of rearing period. , then they can be shifted to pinky mice. Sorry, the photos are not very well taken.

A Boiga species from Luzon 09_03_07_1117

A Boiga species from Luzon 09_03_07_1056

A Boiga species from Luzon LuzonMangroveSnake
Back to top Go down
http://www.herpaworld.com
Jelmer Groen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: A Boiga species from Luzon   A Boiga species from Luzon Icon_minitimeFri 4 Apr - 22:43

This just so pretty that I can hardly describe it without using bad words.

Thanks for sharing!
Back to top Go down
http://www.snakesofasia.nl
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 1416
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: A Boiga species from Luzon   A Boiga species from Luzon Icon_minitimeFri 4 Apr - 22:54

thanks matt,

looks like i got the right guys here at herpaworld? does´nt it?
Boiga dendrophila divergenz ist stunning, we have them here also at herpaworld, and with Matt´s help i think we will be having babies, noh?

A Boiga species from Luzon Boiga_10
one of mine! BDD-Female

cheers
Mario
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomland.org
Jelmer Groen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

PostSubject: Re: A Boiga species from Luzon   A Boiga species from Luzon Icon_minitimeFri 4 Apr - 23:12

Shocked Just great....
Back to top Go down
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male

PostSubject: Re: A Boiga species from Luzon   A Boiga species from Luzon Icon_minitimeFri 4 Apr - 23:27

Matt - why did you opened the Eggs?
it looks like the got still a bit joke to go?

you was getting nervous? cant wait? or was there another point in dong it?

thx
Mario
Back to top Go down
matt yuyek
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
matt yuyek

Male

PostSubject: Re: A Boiga species from Luzon   A Boiga species from Luzon Icon_minitimeSat 5 Apr - 13:56

Mario Lutz wrote:

thx
Mario

Bossing,

I had to open the eggs because I had a bad experience with the first clutch when the hatchlings got stuck inside the egg and couldn't emerge by themselves. I just don't know why I took the last resort by opening the eggs manually... instinct, I would think. The hatchlings did well afterwards but had to be force-fed on a regular basis.

Thanks,

matt
Back to top Go down
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male

PostSubject: Re: A Boiga species from Luzon   A Boiga species from Luzon Icon_minitimeSat 5 Apr - 14:17

matt yuyek wrote:
Mario Lutz wrote:

thx
Mario

Bossing,

I had to open the eggs because I had a bad experience with the first clutch when the hatchlings got stuck inside the egg and couldn't emerge by themselves. I just don't know why I took the last resort by opening the eggs manually... instinct, I would think. The hatchlings did well afterwards but had to be force-fed on a regular basis.

Thanks,

matt

thats what i was thinking - you was getting nervous. exactable for me.
if you had this bad experiences before, ill guess you handled right in open them up.

your instinct proofed, the snakes was doing well after that.
why you think the other clutch does not been able to break their shells by themselves?

Mario
Back to top Go down
Jelmer Groen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

PostSubject: Re: A Boiga species from Luzon   A Boiga species from Luzon Icon_minitimeSat 5 Apr - 21:16

matt yuyek wrote:
Mario Lutz wrote:

thx
Mario

Bossing,

Thanks,

matt

This is a typicall problem when it comes to incubating eggs from Boiga species. Crying or Very sad

I have had this problem with eggs of Boiga cyanea, Boiga dendrophila gemmicincta and Boiga tanahjampeana.

Cheers,

Jelmer
Back to top Go down
matt yuyek
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
matt yuyek

Male

PostSubject: Re: A Boiga species from Luzon   A Boiga species from Luzon Icon_minitimeMon 7 Apr - 13:32

Mario Lutz wrote:
matt yuyek wrote:
Mario Lutz wrote:

thx
Mario

Bossing,

Thanks,

matt

thats what i was thinking - you was getting nervous. exactable for me.
if you had this bad experiences before, ill guess you handled right in open them up.

your instinct proofed, the snakes was doing well after that.
why you think the other clutch does not been able to break their shells by themselves?

Mario

A few hatchlings in the first and second clutches just got their head stuck between the slit after pipping and wasn't able to emerge because of that. I wasn't really sure why it had happened, but I guess those hatchlings were kind of weak when they hatched, it was due probably to some undetermined congenital birth defects because I found two of which was suffering from lordosis of the spinal column. Could probably be genetical or environmental? Well, I really couldn't tell. That's the reason why the hatchling in the third clutch had to be assisted-hatched, and I know for sure that if I didn't assist hatching then the same thing might had happened again. Nervous? Hell I was! It was some kind of a mixed feelings --- nervousness and excitement altogether, you know, and I felt like shitting in my pants! Hehehe...
Back to top Go down
Jörg Porstmann
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 243

PostSubject: Re: A Boiga species from Luzon   A Boiga species from Luzon Icon_minitimeMon 7 Apr - 14:37

Example 1) In our DGHT group we had last month a hearing about australien dwarf monitors. And this guy told us some interesting incubation experiences. Ok - too less huminity while incubation the eggs is bad - no way. But this guy told us, if you have too much huminity the pressure in the eggs it is bad too. The pressure in the eggs should raises to a bad level, that the monitors can´t escape. Ok this might be true only for desert animals like this monitors.

Example 2) A friend of mine breeds Chondros and C. caninus for more than 20 years. And he said to me, if you drop the temperature für 1-2°C in the last week of inkubation Morelia viridis the babies will better get of the eggs.

What I wanted to say, we don´t know really much about inkubation reptiles eggs and their are factors like in my examples that can affect your success.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pit-viper.de
Frank Weinsheimer
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Frank Weinsheimer

Male
Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2008-04-20

PostSubject: Re: A Boiga species from Luzon   A Boiga species from Luzon Icon_minitimeTue 22 Apr - 3:51

Hello!

I agree with Jörg
There are four main reasons why the hatchings can´t emerge from the egg:

1. Bad conditions of the parents. If the female is in bad condition she is not able to provide the eggs with all the necessary vitamins, mineral nutrients, etc. the hatchings need. In the end of the incubation, all the nutrition is gone and the hatchings starve or will be to weak for hatching.

2. Too high humidity. The reasons Jörg told us are right.

3. Too high temperature at the end of the incubation. When the embryo grows in his egg, his metabolism raises until it is ready to hatch. The metabolism (in particular the muscel activity) leads to a higher body temperature of the embryo at the end of the incubation. That means the temperature in the egg raises without changing the incubation temperature we hired at the incubator. Together with isolating material around the egg, like the breeding substrate, the embryo is getting hot. The higher temperature of the embryo leads to a higher metabolism and as a consequence to higher oxygen needs of the embryo. At the end the embryo suffocate in his egg.

4. Too high temperature at the whole incubation period. Many people observed stronger hatchings when incubating the eggs on lower temperatures as in higher temperatures.
The exact reason I don´t know (maybe someone else?). Maybe the hatchings are to weak to break the egg shell.

Genetic reasons are thinkable as well. Lack of egg tooth, etc.

I know one case where a friend of me incubated eggs of Elaphe climacophora. All the hatchings died in their eggs. We observed the eggs, the shells were more as three times as thick as normal. The reason I don´t know.

Hopefully I could help.

Best wishes

Frank
Back to top Go down
Jakob H. Christensen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Jakob H. Christensen

Male
Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: A Boiga species from Luzon   A Boiga species from Luzon Icon_minitimeThu 24 Apr - 22:23

Definately the most beautiful of the dendrophila ssp. in my book!

Congrats!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jhcreptiles.com
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male
Number of posts : 766
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: A Boiga species from Luzon   A Boiga species from Luzon Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar - 0:59

I have some question about Boiga dendrophila divergenz

1) Size about adult specimen ( around ) ?
2) Are they available at Europe?

RGDS Fabian

P.s.: Same questions about Boiga dendrophila multifasciata
Back to top Go down
http://www.rear-fanged.com
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male

PostSubject: Re: A Boiga species from Luzon   A Boiga species from Luzon Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar - 9:33

Fabian Dirks wrote:
I have some question about Boiga dendrophila divergenz

1) Size about adult specimen ( around ) ?
2) Are they available at Europe?

RGDS Fabian

P.s.: Same questions about Boiga dendrophila multifasciata

the Boiga dendrophila divergenz can grow up to 2 meter, some even a little bigger...
we had neven any handling problems, as the animals usually behave very well...

they should be not available in europe or somewhere else as the wildlife republic act in the philippines only allowed wildlife farm permit holders to export wildlife. as far as i know of, herpaworld is still the only one who ever exported reptilians legally... on the black market of corse, that might be different...

we will export some to europe next september....

cheers
M.
Back to top Go down
Fabian Dirks
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Fabian Dirks

Male
Number of posts : 766
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: A Boiga species from Luzon   A Boiga species from Luzon Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar - 14:46

Quote :
they should be not available in europe or somewhere else as the wildlife republic act in the philippines only allowed wildlife farm permit holders to export wildlife. as far as i know of, herpaworld is still the only one who ever exported reptilians legally... on the black market of corse, that might be different...

Thank you Mario

RGDS Fabian
Back to top Go down
http://www.rear-fanged.com
Jon Kendrick
Jon Kendrick

Male
Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2009-02-02

PostSubject: Re: A Boiga species from Luzon   A Boiga species from Luzon Icon_minitimeSat 4 Apr - 22:01

Those are absolutely stunning animals! I hope to see a lot more hatching pics posted here Smile

JonK
Back to top Go down
Peter Papst

Male
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-06-22

PostSubject: Re: A Boiga species from Luzon   A Boiga species from Luzon Icon_minitimeTue 23 Jun - 22:35

What a beautys!!
Is it difficult to feed the neonats?

Regards.
Back to top Go down
ChrisLagewaard

Male
Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-10-24

PostSubject: Re: A Boiga species from Luzon   A Boiga species from Luzon Icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct - 22:30

Mario Lutz wrote:

we will export some to europe next september....

Oh, how I love this subspecies! Would really like to see these in my collection!

How did this exporting work out? Should they be in Europe now, or did problems come up?

Chris
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Boiga species from Luzon   A Boiga species from Luzon Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Boiga species from Luzon
Page 1 of 1