VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Bitis nasicornis "Ghana"

Go down 
+3
Carsten Frömberg
Al Hyde
Alexander Jackson
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Alexander Jackson
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Alexander Jackson

Male
Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2009-05-20

Bitis nasicornis "Ghana" Empty
PostSubject: Bitis nasicornis "Ghana"   Bitis nasicornis "Ghana" Icon_minitimeWed 22 Jul - 20:09

Hello!

They are F1, NZ 01-02.09. They feed very well with defrozen mouse.

I really don`t know what humidity to give them.The breeder say to keep dry just with wather bowl, and is not enouf to keep humidity 70-80% up how i heard they need.If i mist to have 70-80% humidity there is makeing wet for a time.

I wait some answer from who keep this nice River Jack for long time.All info are good.

Sorry for my english.
Pictures soon....

Thanks!
Alexander
Back to top Go down
Al Hyde
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Bitis nasicornis "Ghana"   Bitis nasicornis "Ghana" Icon_minitimeThu 23 Jul - 0:15

Hi Alex.
I keep mine dry and they do just fine. However you must spray them when coming out of a slough.
All the best,
Al
Back to top Go down
Alexander Jackson
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Alexander Jackson

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis nasicornis "Ghana"   Bitis nasicornis "Ghana" Icon_minitimeWed 29 Jul - 1:16

Al Hyde wrote:
Hi Alex.
I keep mine dry and they do just fine. However you must spray them when coming out of a slough.
All the best,
Al

Thanks very much Al!

I sow you videos on youtube now some time.
Good luck with your snakes!

One bath \ week\30 min is good for them?

Best Regards,
Alex
Bitis nasicornis "Ghana" Bit10
Back to top Go down
Al Hyde
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis nasicornis "Ghana"   Bitis nasicornis "Ghana" Icon_minitimeWed 29 Jul - 2:51

Hi Alexander,

Nice rhino you have there Very Happy . However, you're thinking of a different Al (Al Coritz).

Bathing isn't needed unless you feel that the snake is not hydrated /drinking properly . You can also bathe this species if it hasn't passed any poop for quite some time.

All the best,
Al
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bitis nasicornis "Ghana"   Bitis nasicornis "Ghana" Icon_minitimeWed 29 Jul - 5:37

hi,

i keep only unganda and tanzania nasicornis, i keep mine pretty dry (ill never spray outside shedding cycles)
and at moderate but constant temps (between 22 and 25°c ). feed every 10 days not to large prey.
i give them each 2 weeks a soak in shallow water (about 26°c) so im shure they drink.about
10 minutes should do not to stress em out in the water

very nice blueisch one btw Cool

goodluck
dave
Back to top Go down
Alexander Jackson
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Alexander Jackson

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis nasicornis "Ghana"   Bitis nasicornis "Ghana" Icon_minitimeWed 29 Jul - 6:48

Al Hyde wrote:
Hi Alexander,

Nice rhino you have there Very Happy . However, you're thinking of a different Al (Al Coritz).

Bathing isn't needed unless you feel that the snake is not hydrated /drinking properly . You can also bathe this species if it hasn't passed any poop for quite some time.

All the best,
Al

Oh...Sorry for my mistake!Smile

All the best,
Alex
Back to top Go down
Alexander Jackson
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Alexander Jackson

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis nasicornis "Ghana"   Bitis nasicornis "Ghana" Icon_minitimeWed 29 Jul - 6:54

dave pauwels wrote:
hi,

i keep only unganda and tanzania nasicornis, i keep mine pretty dry (ill never spray outside shedding cycles)
and at moderate but constant temps (between 22 and 25°c ). feed every 10 days not to large prey.
i give them each 2 weeks a soak in shallow water (about 26°c) so im shure they drink.about
10 minutes should do not to stress em out in the water

very nice blueisch one btw Cool

goodluck
dave

Hello!

Thank you Dave!
How old are yours NZ or WC?And you can say about what humidity 60%-70%?

I have a problem i know they need 22-26°c but is about 28-30°c now is summer here and hot.

Thanks!

Regards,
Alex
Back to top Go down
Al Hyde
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis nasicornis "Ghana"   Bitis nasicornis "Ghana" Icon_minitimeWed 29 Jul - 16:54

Hi Alexander,
No worries on the name confusion Very Happy

I have found that nasicornis seem to cope with higher temps for short periods providing they are natural and ambient. It is when a higher tempreture is created via some heat source like a ceramic heater that they will become stressed.

As discussed, Humidity only seems to be an issue during the sloughing period and mating season

Hope this has helped
Al
Back to top Go down
Al Hyde
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis nasicornis "Ghana"   Bitis nasicornis "Ghana" Icon_minitimeWed 29 Jul - 17:21

Hi again Alexander.

I would just like too add that I have many nasicornis kept in different methods. It is only my observation that those kept dry are thriving the best., things could turn around for me in years to come.

All the best,
Al
Back to top Go down
Carsten Frömberg
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Bitis nasicornis "Ghana"   Bitis nasicornis "Ghana" Icon_minitimeWed 29 Jul - 18:46

I keep my pair of nasicornis dry, too. 1-2 times the week I mist them. The humidity is around 50% and after spraying around 90% for some hours only.
The temperatures are around 24-27 C. When she was gravid she likes temperatures around 30 degree and higher!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bitis nasicornis "Ghana"   Bitis nasicornis "Ghana" Icon_minitimeWed 29 Jul - 19:27

hi,

mine (i have 5 at the moment) were all wc ,they had a bit diffrent size,from baby (25cm long) to about 40cm
i got them at the end of 2006 and they'r still doing very good.
they are on the floor of the snake room,to ensure low temps,and have no addition lighting in the cage
they dont like lights in my expirience and shy away from it.btw never use bottomheater with bitis
very bad

greetz
dave
Back to top Go down
Alexander Jackson
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Alexander Jackson

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis nasicornis "Ghana"   Bitis nasicornis "Ghana" Icon_minitimeThu 30 Jul - 5:18

Al Hyde wrote:
Hi again Alexander.

I would just like too add that I have many nasicornis kept in different methods. It is only my observation that those kept dry are thriving the best., things could turn around for me in years to come.

All the best,
Al

Hello Al!

Thanks very much for you answer , will help me a lot!

All the best for you & your snakes!

Regards,
Alex

Last edited by Alexander Jackson on Thu 30 Jul - 5:30; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Alexander Jackson
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Alexander Jackson

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis nasicornis "Ghana"   Bitis nasicornis "Ghana" Icon_minitimeThu 30 Jul - 5:21

Carsten Frömberg wrote:
I keep my pair of nasicornis dry, too. 1-2 times the week I mist them. The humidity is around 50% and after spraying around 90% for some hours only.
The temperatures are around 24-27 C. When she was gravid she likes temperatures around 30 degree and higher!

Hello Carsten!

Thanks!Is good for me to know this!From where are your nasicornis?

Regards,
Alex
Back to top Go down
Alexander Jackson
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Alexander Jackson

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis nasicornis "Ghana"   Bitis nasicornis "Ghana" Icon_minitimeThu 30 Jul - 5:29

dave pauwels wrote:
hi,

mine (i have 5 at the moment) were all wc ,they had a bit diffrent size,from baby (25cm long) to about 40cm
i got them at the end of 2006 and they'r still doing very good.
they are on the floor of the snake room,to ensure low temps,and have no addition lighting in the cage
they dont like lights in my expirience and shy away from it.btw never use bottomheater with bitis
very bad

greetz
dave

Hello Dave!

This is very good!Not very much people have good luck with WC!They were internal deparazites?

I read too about no light .But with B arietans is the same no light?

Way is not good bottomheater for them?

Regards,
Alex
Back to top Go down
Paul Nelis

Male
Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Bitis nasicornis "Ghana"   Bitis nasicornis "Ghana" Icon_minitimeThu 30 Jul - 7:17

Hi All,
Nice to see so many Nasicornis keepers, I keep mine like Al, and the only time that i really soak them is when they are ready to breed. I usually do this when the weather changes as they sense the pressure drop and that coupled with them getting wet usually starts the mating process. but yes dry with low water bowl because they are lazy. I have had them live up to 12 years old in such cages so it must be ok. I agree that bottom heaters are killers for these. also when they are adult they do not like any changes to anything, logs, bowls, or the cage its self. I think Al has found this as well. good luck
Back to top Go down
Alexander Jackson
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Alexander Jackson

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis nasicornis "Ghana"   Bitis nasicornis "Ghana" Icon_minitimeThu 30 Jul - 7:53

Paul Nelis wrote:
Hi All,
Nice to see so many Nasicornis keepers, I keep mine like Al, and the only time that i really soak them is when they are ready to breed. I usually do this when the weather changes as they sense the pressure drop and that coupled with them getting wet usually starts the mating process. but yes dry with low water bowl because they are lazy. I have had them live up to 12 years old in such cages so it must be ok. I agree that bottom heaters are killers for these. also when they are adult they do not like any changes to anything, logs, bowls, or the cage its self. I think Al has found this as well. good luck

Hello Paul!

That is great 12 years!I wish more go on!

Regards,
Alex
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bitis nasicornis "Ghana"   Bitis nasicornis "Ghana" Icon_minitimeThu 30 Jul - 15:29

hi,

yes i deparasitise within one week,arietans btw likes some basking area after feeding ect,...
arietans is totaly difrent in keeping then gabonica,nasicornis,..
basicly i keep my arietans like every normal snakes,warm end with spot lights and cool darker end in the cage

greetz
dave
Back to top Go down
Alexander Jackson
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Alexander Jackson

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis nasicornis "Ghana"   Bitis nasicornis "Ghana" Icon_minitimeWed 19 Aug - 3:15

Hello guys!

Why "bottom heaters" kill this bitis?

Thanks!
Alexander
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bitis nasicornis "Ghana"   Bitis nasicornis "Ghana" Icon_minitimeWed 19 Aug - 5:10

in my expirience they get respiratitory ifection very fast from bottomheating. probaly because
bottom heaters make the air more damp (from moisture in substrate/waterbowl,..) and also
i think is not good breathing cool air with warm belly.most specimens i had in the beginning
develop quick respiratory problems due bottom heaters.i most cases over here it was fatal
the stress of trynig to tread infection put them over the edge

greetz
dave
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bitis nasicornis "Ghana"   Bitis nasicornis "Ghana" Icon_minitimeWed 19 Aug - 5:14

btw a picture of one of my 3 year old girls Cool she is waiting for her bi monthly soak
Bitis nasicornis "Ghana" Nasi1II
Bitis nasicornis "Ghana" Nasi1III
Back to top Go down
Michael Bollhorn
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Michael Bollhorn

Male
Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2008-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Bitis nasicornis "Ghana"   Bitis nasicornis "Ghana" Icon_minitimeWed 19 Aug - 6:29

Perfect pattern and nice coloration! Your girl is a very nice lady!

Regards
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.103887216345740.6060.10
Alexander Jackson
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Alexander Jackson

Male

PostSubject: Re: Bitis nasicornis "Ghana"   Bitis nasicornis "Ghana" Icon_minitimeThu 20 Aug - 3:16

dave pauwels wrote:
in my expirience they get respiratitory ifection very fast from bottomheating. probaly because
bottom heaters make the air more damp (from moisture in substrate/waterbowl,..) and also
i think is not good breathing cool air with warm belly.most specimens i had in the beginning
develop quick respiratory problems due bottom heaters.i most cases over here it was fatal
the stress of trynig to tread infection put them over the edge

greetz
dave

Thanks for the answer!

Very beautyful female you have!

All the best,
Alexander
Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male
Number of posts : 1389
Registration date : 2008-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Bitis nasicornis "Ghana"   Bitis nasicornis "Ghana" Icon_minitimeThu 20 Aug - 3:40

Interesting music taste it has ... "Death the Brutal Way"? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.leitenbauer.net

PostSubject: Re: Bitis nasicornis "Ghana"   Bitis nasicornis "Ghana" Icon_minitimeThu 20 Aug - 5:05

no ist the previous record "on the wings of inferno" from 2000 lol
sorry for the offtopic Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Benjamin Strasser
Benjamin Strasser

Male
Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Bitis nasicornis "Ghana"   Bitis nasicornis "Ghana" Icon_minitimeThu 20 Aug - 6:52

@ dave:
very beautiful nasicornis but a little bit too coloured for a death metal girl hehe! :-)
anyway great music taste and a great snake!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bitis nasicornis "Ghana"   Bitis nasicornis "Ghana" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bitis nasicornis "Ghana"
Page 1 of 1