VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Trimeresurus puniceus

Go down 
+6
Jelmer Groen
Pascal Kamp
Mario Lutz
Jörg Porstmann
Peter Zürcher
Jan Koetze
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Jan Koetze
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male
Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-04-05

Trimeresurus puniceus Empty
PostSubject: Trimeresurus puniceus   Trimeresurus puniceus Icon_minitimeSun 6 Apr - 20:12

My love and live! Trimeresurus puniceus I own 6 of these animals (3.3). Some pictures:

Grandmother Smile 13 years old...
Trimeresurus puniceus Eat4

Trimeresurus puniceus Punyellow1

Orange female
Trimeresurus puniceus Puno1

Red female (picture take at night)
Trimeresurus puniceus Punred-ang

Male I like natural looking enclosures with live plants and such. This means you have to search sometimes to find your own animals Very Happy

Trimeresurus puniceus Pm4

Trimeresurus puniceus Pmm1

Trimeresurus puniceus Punm3

Jan
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male
Number of posts : 1266
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Trimeresurus puniceus   Trimeresurus puniceus Icon_minitimeSun 6 Apr - 20:26

I like puniceus too, Jan, and I'm keeping 2,4.
here's one of my best colored:

Trimeresurus puniceus Punrot10

I think it's puniceus, the final proof is'nt done at this time.
(the snake has been sold as wiroti)

Cheers
Peter
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilienzoonockalm.at
Jörg Porstmann
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 243

PostSubject: Re: Trimeresurus puniceus   Trimeresurus puniceus Icon_minitimeSun 6 Apr - 20:28

Real plants are always nice and I think it is not a problem searching your animals. You know how much are in this cage and if you located them, you can open the cage without problems.

Trimeresurus puniceus are one of my favourite Trims.

Female
Trimeresurus puniceus Puniceus_female

Female
Trimeresurus puniceus Punica_1

Male
Trimeresurus puniceus Puniceus_male
Back to top Go down
http://www.pit-viper.de
Jan Koetze
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male

PostSubject: Re: Trimeresurus puniceus   Trimeresurus puniceus Icon_minitimeSun 6 Apr - 20:33

Peter Zürcher wrote:
I like puniceus too, Jan, and I'm keeping 2,4.
here's one of my best colored:

I think it's puniceus, the final proof is'nt done at this time.
(the snake has been sold as wiroti)

Cheers
Peter

Stunning animal Peter!

It's 100% a puniceus. Both wiroti as borneensis has a 2e supralabial entirely bordering the anterior margin of the loral pit (full). This animal doesn't have that. I'm sure that when you count the scales between the eyes (looking from above of course) you will count 14-15 scales.

Jan

Last edited by Jan Koetze on Sun 6 Apr - 20:35; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jan Koetze
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male

PostSubject: Re: Trimeresurus puniceus   Trimeresurus puniceus Icon_minitimeSun 6 Apr - 20:34

What a day! A forum with puniceus lovers!!!!! Nice Jorg!!!!

Jan
Back to top Go down
Jan Koetze
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male

PostSubject: Re: Trimeresurus puniceus   Trimeresurus puniceus Icon_minitimeSun 6 Apr - 20:40

I except some offspring from this girl this year....

Trimeresurus puniceus Redfemale6

Jan
Back to top Go down
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male
Number of posts : 1416

PostSubject: How about my beauties?   Trimeresurus puniceus Icon_minitimeSun 6 Apr - 21:05

well, i do love them too.
Trimeresurus puniceus is such a variable snake species. awesome animals!

Trimeresurus puniceus Punice10
Trimeresurus puniceus, female - Benkulu / sumatra

Trimeresurus puniceus Punice12
Trimeresurus puniceus, male - Benkulu / sumatra

Trimeresurus puniceus Punice11
Trimeresurus puniceus, male java

Trimeresurus puniceus Punice13
Trimeresurus puniceus, female - java

Trimeresurus puniceus Punice14
Trimeresurus puniceus, female - java

arent they cute?

cheers
Mario

Last edited by Mario Lutz on Sun 6 Apr - 21:56; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.venomland.org
Jan Koetze
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male

PostSubject: Re: Trimeresurus puniceus   Trimeresurus puniceus Icon_minitimeSun 6 Apr - 21:17

Cute? They are stunning mate Smile Very nice. Trimeresurus puniceus is, if you ask me, a very underappreciated specie. Never understand why...

Jan
Back to top Go down
Jörg Porstmann
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Trimeresurus puniceus   Trimeresurus puniceus Icon_minitimeSun 6 Apr - 21:29

Yes and they are fantastic to watch.
For example my big girl feed rats and if she bite the prey a fold of skin overlap the eyes, so she can´t get bitten by the prey in the eye. Interesting, simple but effectively protection system for the eyes.

My big Trimeresurus puniceus pair while mating 15 hours. Long time for a Trimeresurus spec.
Trimeresurus puniceus Pun_mating
Back to top Go down
Jan Koetze
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male

PostSubject: Re: Trimeresurus puniceus   Trimeresurus puniceus Icon_minitimeSun 6 Apr - 22:15

That looks great Jorg! I join you in the party Very Happy

Trimeresurus puniceus 6

Jan
Back to top Go down
Pascal Kamp
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Pascal Kamp

Male
Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Trimeresurus puniceus   Trimeresurus puniceus Icon_minitimeMon 7 Apr - 5:25

Great pics of beautifull animals, Jan ! Cool
I really like your enclosures... Smile
Thumbs are up !
Back to top Go down
Jelmer Groen
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Trimeresurus puniceus   Trimeresurus puniceus Icon_minitimeMon 7 Apr - 7:06

I've seen most of this pictures before Jan, but it's always nice to look at shots like this. Great!

@Mario: are the last two pictures the same specimen? I love that light coloured ones. Cool

Jelmer
Back to top Go down
http://www.snakesofasia.nl
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male

PostSubject: Re: Trimeresurus puniceus   Trimeresurus puniceus Icon_minitimeMon 7 Apr - 9:57

Jelmer Groen wrote:
I've seen most of this pictures before Jan, but it's always nice to look at shots like this. Great!

@Mario: are the last two pictures the same specimen? I love that light coloured ones. Cool

Jelmer

Hi Jelmer,

the last two species are different snakes.
i have here this time 1.2 from java, both females are lighter in coloration. and 1.1 Trimeresurus puniceus from Benkulu, sumatra.

cheers
Mario
Back to top Go down
Jörg Porstmann
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Trimeresurus puniceus   Trimeresurus puniceus Icon_minitimeMon 7 Apr - 18:25

Ok here in europe you become a great amount of wrong informations where our animals really from.
But if you look at both types of T. puniceus - I think the Sumatra version has more clearer pattern und the colors are more in the red direction.

Marios java females were nearly white as babies and I hoped they stay that way. Nevertheless the beige color is very nice too.
Back to top Go down
Jan Koetze
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper

Male

PostSubject: Re: Trimeresurus puniceus   Trimeresurus puniceus Icon_minitimeTue 8 Apr - 4:12

I like Mario's Trimeresurus puniceus female on the last picture a lot, very nice!

I'm not sure if one can determine, based on the coloration/pattern, where a animal comes from. I don't think so to be honest. I've seen dark Sumatra animals and almost white Java animals (and vice versa) But Jörg point it out, here in Europe information is quite unreliable. There are so many hops along the route that this information is almost worthless.

Jan
Back to top Go down
Mario Lutz
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Mario Lutz

Male

PostSubject: Re: Trimeresurus puniceus   Trimeresurus puniceus Icon_minitimeTue 8 Apr - 14:20

i hav´nt seen enough animals of this species to have a clue about this.

somehow the T.puniceus from sumatra seem to be more rare as the java´s.
in indonesia, the exporter offer them for 4 times higher prices - same price by the way as they ask for Parias summatrana!

cheers
Mario
Back to top Go down
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male
Number of posts : 404
Registration date : 2008-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Trimeresurus puniceus   Trimeresurus puniceus Icon_minitimeThu 1 May - 23:16

Very cool, more people who can appreciate puniceus! Very Happy
I like this species very much, and I keep several from both Bengkulu Sumatra and Java.
I too would say that this is rather unappreciated species by many.

Since here are people with great knowledge on these animals, I'd like to ask a question regarding the colors.
Jörg mentioned that Mario's females were nearly white at birth; I had one female like that, which was born here in 2005. She is still very pale and seems to lack the dark tones alltogether.
Me & my best friend, we have produced almost 80 Javan babies in recent years, and there hasn't been another one like this.

My question is this; do you guys think that it's just another variation, or could it be a 'hypo' or something? Has any of you tried to breed the really pale lines? If yes, what were the results?
I am really interested in this, and last year I bred this pale female back to his father to see if this pale trait would appear on their offspring. She appears to be gravid, and I'm expecting her to drop something in the coming months...

I find this rather exciting, and I'd like to know more about this species' genetics, since my animals are from the same original wild line as my best friend's puniceus'.
Any comments and thoughts are really welcome.

Here are pictures of the above-mentioned line, I find the pale female very difficult to photograph to show her as she is in person:

This is the father of the pale female.
Trimeresurus puniceus P1040205

On the left, the mother and on the right the '05 female.
Trimeresurus puniceus P1040670

Close-up.
Trimeresurus puniceus P1040667

Tail comparison, first one is the mother.
Trimeresurus puniceus P1040675
Trimeresurus puniceus P1040672
Back to top Go down
Frank Weinsheimer
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Frank Weinsheimer

Male
Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2008-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Trimeresurus puniceus   Trimeresurus puniceus Icon_minitimeThu 1 May - 23:26

Hi Christian!

I can´t say anything about the colourquestion, but I can say that this are some really beautiful Puniceus. I have never kept them, and have never been interested in them (maybe I´m one of them, who hadn´t really appreciate them), but these photos change a lot. Really nice, thanks for sharing.

Best wishes

Frank
Back to top Go down
Jörg Porstmann
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Trimeresurus puniceus   Trimeresurus puniceus Icon_minitimeThu 1 May - 23:47

@ Christian - I think it might be only a color morph.
Maybe it is like Bothrieches schlegelii. If there is a color in the breeding line the babies can get this color even if the parents has totaly different colors.
Trimeresurus puniceus might have the same polymorph genes only with smaller variations.

I´m curious about your breeding project - Let see what happens and it might answer some of the questions.

This year my pink puniceus female and a bright yellow male with light grey pattern are waiting for their babies as well. My breeding project is done because of the same question. I want to know if the colors can be affected by choosing special colored parents
Back to top Go down
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male

PostSubject: Re: Trimeresurus puniceus   Trimeresurus puniceus Icon_minitimeSun 4 May - 21:51

Thank you for the input & compliments.

Hope you didn't misunderstand me, Frank, I didn't mean to insult those not interested Wink
I personally have grown more and more interested in these with time and upon seeing several interesting variations. In the beginning it was a bit more like an arboreal viper among other arboreal vipers Very Happy

I will post news as things progress. It will be interesting to see if all the babies appear 'normal' or not...

I am very interested to see your results as well, Jörg. Please keep us informed how things turn out with your pair.
Btw, is the pair you mentioned from Java or Sumatra?
This is exciting indeed.
Back to top Go down
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male

PostSubject: Re: Trimeresurus puniceus   Trimeresurus puniceus Icon_minitimeWed 30 Jul - 18:15

Hello Jörg, any news on the pair you mentioned? I'd be very interested in seeing some photos of the babies when they arrive.

Mario, would you have time to post updated shots of the two pale females? I'd really wish to see those. I'm also interested in how their tails look like.

Thanks in advance guys Smile
Back to top Go down
Ari Finsk
Snakemaster
Snakemaster

Male
Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2009-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Trimeresurus puniceus   Trimeresurus puniceus Icon_minitimeMon 15 Feb - 19:30

... and my new one
Trimeresurus puniceus Img0249r
Back to top Go down
Sascha Beckhoff
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Sascha Beckhoff

Male
Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2010-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Trimeresurus puniceus   Trimeresurus puniceus Icon_minitimeMon 15 Feb - 19:47

awesome animals!!!!the enclosure looks so cool.
Back to top Go down
Christian Moisander
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Christian Moisander

Male

PostSubject: Re: Trimeresurus puniceus   Trimeresurus puniceus Icon_minitimeThu 1 Apr - 7:38

Nice one Ari Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trimeresurus puniceus   Trimeresurus puniceus Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trimeresurus puniceus
Page 1 of 1