VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Dwarf Namibian Bitis identification

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Israel M. Sánchez
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Israel M. Sánchez

Male
Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Dwarf Namibian Bitis identification Empty
PostSubject: Dwarf Namibian Bitis identification   Dwarf Namibian Bitis identification Icon_minitimeWed 3 Feb - 17:22

Hi all.

I need some help with the identification of a dwarf Bitis species. We find it south of Lüderitz (Namibia) in the old Sperrgebiet area. You can find pics of it here: http://israelms.smugmug.com/gallery/6161019_sUPvk#555209434_ewzvn (my photography web page, look at page 2 to find the adder)

I have tried to identify it using Marais (2004), but it is not clear for me what species it is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ludvig Edlund
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Ludvig Edlund

Male
Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2010-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Namibian Bitis identification   Dwarf Namibian Bitis identification Icon_minitimeWed 3 Feb - 18:06

I think i'ts Bitis schneideri.
Here are the Bitis of Namibia: http://www.jcvi.org/reptiles/search.php?taxon=&genus=Bitis&species=&subspecies=&author=&year=&common_name=&location=namibia&holotype=&reference=&submit=Search

And this one looks a bit like yours.
http://www.bitis.at/Bitis%20schneideri%20male%20189x.jpg

Greetings
Ludvig.
Back to top Go down
Israel M. Sánchez
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Israel M. Sánchez

Male

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Namibian Bitis identification   Dwarf Namibian Bitis identification Icon_minitimeWed 3 Feb - 18:10

Yes, it appears to be B.schneideri. This was my first on-sight identification, but after comparing the pics of Marais (2004) with mine I had doubts due to color pattern differences.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Rob Deans
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Rob Deans

Male
Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2008-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Namibian Bitis identification   Dwarf Namibian Bitis identification Icon_minitimeWed 3 Feb - 20:37

That is Bitis caudalis. Sperregebiet has these unusual looking animals with reduced horns. In 2 of the pictures you can make out the horns.
Back to top Go down
Israel M. Sánchez
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Israel M. Sánchez

Male

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Namibian Bitis identification   Dwarf Namibian Bitis identification Icon_minitimeWed 3 Feb - 20:51

Ok, so B. schneideri never show horns? They appear very clearly in the picture that shows the adder in defensive stance, but I didn't know that Sperrgebiet B. caudalis have these very reduced horns. All pictures I have seen depicting that species showed animals with way more developed supraorbital structures.

So thanks for the info, Rob.
Back to top Go down
Rob Deans
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Rob Deans

Male
Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2008-04-24

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Namibian Bitis identification   Dwarf Namibian Bitis identification Icon_minitimeWed 3 Feb - 20:59

No, schneideri do have slightly raised supraorbital tufts but not horns as such.

I know a herpetologist who was in Sperregebiet 3-4 months back and he too mentioned these caudalis with drastically reduced horns. They have been sent off to be "looked at"

The colour is also not typical of schneideri but do resemble caudalis.
Back to top Go down
Israel M. Sánchez
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Israel M. Sánchez

Male

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Namibian Bitis identification   Dwarf Namibian Bitis identification Icon_minitimeWed 3 Feb - 21:09

Yes, the color issue raised a lot of doubts to me, because it seems a faded or turned-to grey caudalis pattern.

So finally they are B. caudalis. Smile

Thanks for the help.
Back to top Go down
Mikael Andersson
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Mikael Andersson

Male
Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2009-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Namibian Bitis identification   Dwarf Namibian Bitis identification Icon_minitimeThu 4 Feb - 2:40

Hi

Extremely nice pictures you got there!!!
It made me want to go there right now
Regards from Sweden
Micke
Back to top Go down
http://www.kryp.smugmug.com/
Israel M. Sánchez
Snakemaster
Snakemaster
Israel M. Sánchez

Male

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Namibian Bitis identification   Dwarf Namibian Bitis identification Icon_minitimeThu 4 Feb - 4:01

Thanks Micke!
Namibia is a beautiful place to visit, yes.

Regards
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dwarf Namibian Bitis identification   Dwarf Namibian Bitis identification Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dwarf Namibian Bitis identification
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VenomLand :: Viperidae :: Bitis-
Jump to: