VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Question about the correct ssp-Names

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Christoph Rothenbühler
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Question about the correct ssp-Names Empty
PostSubject: Question about the correct ssp-Names   Question about the correct ssp-Names Icon_minitimeMon 8 Mar - 21:46

Hi@all
I have a question about the right subspecies-naming. I know the Tropidolaemus-complex is in a revision. But at this time, what I have to write for the different localities?

Is it possible to describe using the names of local forms?
For example:
All animals from Sulawesi are T. wagleri subannulatus or T. subannulatus
All animals from Sumatra are T. wagleri
All animals from Kalimantan are T. wagleri immaculatus or T. immaculatus (just as an example!)
All animals from Palawan are T. wagleri whatever

Or is it better (correct), if I describe my animals as T. wagleri Sumatra, T. wagleri Sulawesi, T. wagleri Kalimantan and so on?

Perhaps Mario (or other persons, who are involved) can give us a little update on the revision at this time...

Greetings
chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptiles.c-ro.ch

PostSubject: Re: Question about the correct ssp-Names   Question about the correct ssp-Names Icon_minitimeTue 30 Mar - 18:27

Mario is the wagmaster.
Back to top Go down
Michael Jonasson
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Michael Jonasson

Male
Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2009-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Question about the correct ssp-Names   Question about the correct ssp-Names Icon_minitimeWed 31 Mar - 13:55

Im very intrested in this aswell. Any wag-masters out therese who want to enlighten us with this?

Happy Eastern
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question about the correct ssp-Names   Question about the correct ssp-Names Icon_minitimeWed 31 Mar - 17:20

I keep 1.3 t. subannulatus and they are one of my favorite ssp. they are absolutely incredible. Just dont let their subdued disposition lax your judgement or attention. Very large fangs and no antivenin. Not to mention incredible prehinsile tail strength and the fact that they can very easily throw 2/3 of there body very rapidly at what is in range.
Back to top Go down
Christoph Rothenbühler
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Question about the correct ssp-Names   Question about the correct ssp-Names Icon_minitimeWed 31 Mar - 18:01

Timothy,
First; belive me, I have really (really!) nothing against you. But is it really necessary, that you must post in every thread, also when you have nothing to contribute to the topic?
The question here are the ssp-names, nothing else...

thanks
chris
Back to top Go down
Stephan Niemann
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Question about the correct ssp-Names   Question about the correct ssp-Names Icon_minitimeWed 31 Mar - 19:57

yes since the T.wagleri and subanulatus is one of my favorite it would be interssting to know the correct names
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question about the correct ssp-Names   Question about the correct ssp-Names Icon_minitimeThu 1 Apr - 5:21

I just try to observe, and let others handle most of the answering. My comments are usually short and sweet. Pertaining to this thread. Sumatra,kalimantan, and palawan are all combined under t. Wagleri. Sulawesi as well as other island variations are catagorized under t. Subannulatus. That is my understanding for dealers in the U.S. as well as private collectors. Immaculatus is not used in the U.S. for all intensive purposes. But as I said Mario is the resident waglers expert.
Back to top Go down
Gernot Vogel
Systematicus
Systematicus

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-03-17

PostSubject: naming of Tropidolaemus   Question about the correct ssp-Names Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun - 18:31

Hello,

the correct names at the moment are:
Sulawesi: T. subannulatus
Sumatra: T. wagleri
Kalimantan: T. subannulatus
Palawan: T. subannulatus

No subspecies are used at the moment.
It is very fine to say the island.

So for example T. wagleri from Sumatra is a bit different from Malaysia. It is good if you name it T. wagleri (Sumatra form). So everybody knows what you exactly are talking about.
Same for the other islands, as here some names change.

Many names will change, but not that one for Sumatra or West-Malaysia, the differences are too small.

You can ask for the original paper of the first part of the review by Email, I am not allowed to put it on my page:
gernot.vogel@t-online.de

Gernot
Back to top Go down
http://www.gernot-vogel.de/
Michal Pecak
Michal Pecak

Male
Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2010-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Question about the correct ssp-Names   Question about the correct ssp-Names Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun - 19:59

Timothy Sieber wrote:
I keep 1.3 t. subannulatus and they are one of my favorite ssp. they are absolutely incredible. Just dont let their subdued disposition lax your judgement or attention. Very large fangs and no antivenin. Not to mention incredible prehinsile tail strength and the fact that they can very easily throw 2/3 of there body very rapidly at what is in range.

Hi Timothy, you should show some of your wagleris(pictures)

cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.spomasz-polmet.pl
Christoph Rothenbühler
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male

PostSubject: Re: Question about the correct ssp-Names   Question about the correct ssp-Names Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun - 2:12

Gernot Vogel wrote:
Hello,

the correct names at the moment are:
Sulawesi: T. subannulatus
Sumatra: T. wagleri
Kalimantan: T. subannulatus
Palawan: T. subannulatus

No subspecies are used at the moment.
It is very fine to say the island.

So for example T. wagleri from Sumatra is a bit different from Malaysia. It is good if you name it T. wagleri (Sumatra form). So everybody knows what you exactly are talking about.
Same for the other islands, as here some names change.

Many names will change, but not that one for Sumatra or West-Malaysia, the differences are too small.

You can ask for the original paper of the first part of the review by Email, I am not allowed to put it on my page:
gernot.vogel@t-online.de

Gernot

Hi Gernot,
Many thanks to you. I will send you an email in the next few days...

chris
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about the correct ssp-Names   Question about the correct ssp-Names Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question about the correct ssp-Names
Page 1 of 1