VenomLand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please beware, to register at venomland you are requested to use your full name (first and family name) - nicknames are not allowed and will be not activated! thx

Dear Venomland Members and Friends, Venomland is a little more than 6 years old now and by far the biggest Hot Snake community on the Planet! We want to thank all of you who made Venomland the leading Board. We are also very thankful to our Moderators and Admins for years of hard work. Now, it is time to move on. I have been thinking how to proceed and what to do with our beloved board as we reach a size, that we need to make drastic changes to secure the future of our community. As of now, Venomland is hosted by a free (well mostly free) hosting service. That was good for the first years but now we need to find a new way to run our forum. I have spend hundreds of Dollars over the years to keep Venomland up and running, and i have done so with pleasure. Now, we need your help! We need to come up with several thousand dollars for our Venomland 2.0 project, which i frankly cant pay for any longer by myself. So Venomland is asking his Friends and Members for the first time for their financial Support. Please help to keep Venomland alive, and let us move on to a new, better Portal in the Future! Every Dollar is helping us a great deal. I know, its hard times for everyone, but please spare a few Dollar for our community. If you have only 10 Dollars to spare, we are grateful, if it is more, it would be awesome. We are planning to develop a very new Venomland, with real community functions, a forum like you are already loving it and a real (online) Hot Snake Magazin. Also, there will be download areas for scientific papers, Wallpapers and more. Again folks, we can only do that if you all help. Please send me a Private Message if you want to keep Venomland alive, i will provide you with the details on how to donate Money. For now, we can accept money from creditcards via skrill (please google it, its a free service - account-details will be forwarded to you) and paypal. All the best, and for a (hopefully) nice future of our Board. Mario

Atheris squamigera

Go down 
+5
Christoph Meyer
Jan-Alfred Berntsen
Stefan Anthonijsz
Guenter Leitenbauer
Martin Romanov
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Martin Romanov
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Martin Romanov

Male
Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2010-08-02

Atheris squamigera Empty
PostSubject: Atheris squamigera   Atheris squamigera Icon_minitimeThu 12 Aug - 17:13

Hi I'm new to the forum. I want to know if squamigera is a good starter hot? Are they generally agressive and how toxic is their venom. I know there is no antivenom for Atheris but can a bite be treated in some way?
Back to top Go down
http://terraristic.net
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male
Number of posts : 1389
Registration date : 2008-05-17

Atheris squamigera Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris squamigera   Atheris squamigera Icon_minitimeThu 12 Aug - 17:18

http://www.venomland.net/venom-f10/the-venom-of-the-atherini-tribe-t124.htm

Cheers,
Guenter
Back to top Go down
http://www.leitenbauer.net
Stefan Anthonijsz
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Stefan Anthonijsz

Male
Number of posts : 556
Registration date : 2009-09-29

Atheris squamigera Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris squamigera   Atheris squamigera Icon_minitimeFri 13 Aug - 1:14

What's up with all the 15 years olds from Bulgaria... Get yourself a ratsnake or kingsnake and leave the venomous alone for at least 6 years scratch
Back to top Go down
Jan-Alfred Berntsen
Snakekeeper
Snakekeeper
Jan-Alfred Berntsen

Male
Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2010-07-28

Atheris squamigera Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris squamigera   Atheris squamigera Icon_minitimeFri 13 Aug - 4:12

If you are in to arboreal hots, find yourself an aggressive Morelia viridis (considered you have some experience with snakes), and wait a few years before you get a hot snake. If you loose any, and i mean, ANY respect of the Morelia, you are not ready for any hot snake. If you still have a lot of respect (after 3-4 years), find yourself a mentor, who can teach you the real thing, tips, etc. And after some time learning, you may start keeping hots.

Then with the Morelia, if you get bit, you can learn from that, think about it, and find out what you did wrong, and never do that mistake again. Again, you can learn from keeping an aggressive non-venomous arboreal snake first. Wouldn't it be better to do mistakes with a non-venomous snake, rather than with a hot snake?
Back to top Go down
Martin Romanov
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Martin Romanov

Male

Atheris squamigera Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris squamigera   Atheris squamigera Icon_minitimeFri 13 Aug - 4:51

Stefan Anthonijsz wrote:
What's up with all the 15 years olds from Bulgaria... Get yourself a ratsnake or kingsnake and leave the venomous alone for at least 6 years scratch
Where did I say that I will get a hot that early? My aim is to gather as much info and experience as possible for when I get older.
Back to top Go down
Christoph Meyer

Male
Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Atheris squamigera Empty
PostSubject: Play football   Atheris squamigera Icon_minitimeFri 13 Aug - 16:28

Go and play football.
In a few years 10 old kids will ask for albolabris.

By the way. They are no good starters given my the nature. As same as good keepers. So there are no suitable starting snakes, but suitable beginners.
Back to top Go down
Martin Romanov
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Martin Romanov

Male

Atheris squamigera Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris squamigera   Atheris squamigera Icon_minitimeFri 13 Aug - 16:40

Christoph Meyer wrote:
Go and play football.

By the way. They are no good starters given my the nature. As same as good keepers. So there are no suitable starting snakes, but suitable beginners.
I agree with you for the keepers! There are no perfect starter snakes but I think a starter hot is a snake that wont kill you in one bite it'll just make you think what you are getting in to.
Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male

Atheris squamigera Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris squamigera   Atheris squamigera Icon_minitimeFri 13 Aug - 16:43

Martin Romanov wrote:
Christoph Meyer wrote:
Go and play football.

I agree with you for the keepers! There are no perfect starter snakes but I think a starter hot is a snake that wont kill you in one bite it'll just make you think what you are getting in to.

A serious injury is enough. Most hots do have the ability to hurt You seriously if the circumstances fit. Please tell me one venomous snake where a bite won't harm You for sure! Just one would be enough Wink
Back to top Go down
Christoph Meyer

Male

Atheris squamigera Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris squamigera   Atheris squamigera Icon_minitimeFri 13 Aug - 16:59

Some facts in respect to the Atheris:

They are nice and small looking. BUT they are related to saw-scale vipers (echis). One look in their eyes with an open mind and you will see this. So you can say, they are echis sitting on a stick.
The behavior is exactly the same. They bluff and puff and strike lightening fast! The venom is pretty wicked! A more or less beginner was bitten by a nitschei in Germany and it was very critical. The blood was not coagulable anymore and this for hours. Just one dameged bigger blood vessel and thats it. He was lucky that the tissue damage was not distinctived
Back to top Go down
Martin Romanov
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
Martin Romanov

Male

Atheris squamigera Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris squamigera   Atheris squamigera Icon_minitimeFri 13 Aug - 18:40

Guenter Leitenbauer wrote:
Martin Romanov wrote:
Christoph Meyer wrote:
Go and play football.

A serious injury is enough. Most hots do have the ability to hurt You seriously if the circumstances fit. Please tell me one venomous snake where a bite won't harm You for sure! Just one would be enough Wink
There probably isn't such a hot. But there is a big diference between a mamba and a ammodytes. I'm saying ammodytes because In Bulgaria they aren't that venomous and there is antivenom in every hospital where I live and most of the times you don't need it.
Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male

Atheris squamigera Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris squamigera   Atheris squamigera Icon_minitimeFri 13 Aug - 19:05

Haha, don't wish You a bite of a ammodytes into a blood vessel my friend.
The venom of V.a. and iven V.berus isn't that weak. In fact the LD50 is near a cobra venom and just the small amount and the rather small fangs are an argument that it may not be that harmful.
Back to top Go down
Christoph Meyer

Male

Atheris squamigera Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris squamigera   Atheris squamigera Icon_minitimeFri 13 Aug - 19:10

i wonder myself about the keepers who keep hots in countries where the health system is not well developed e.g. Poland or others Eastern Europe states.Antivenom of exclusive hots is not available and very expensive. In many cases the supply is not covered by the health insurance funds. After a bite persons may be insolvency and sick.
Back to top Go down
Michael Burmeister
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer

Male
Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2010-07-02

Atheris squamigera Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris squamigera   Atheris squamigera Icon_minitimeMon 16 Aug - 19:20

There is no good starter hot. These animals have developed venoms and venom delivery systems that are highly advanced and most of the time we don’t even fully understand their capabilities. Saying the a V. ammodytes doesn’t compare to a Dendroaspis doesn’t make sense both are venomous and given the right circumstances both can kill you or seriously injure you. Atheris are highly venomous ask anyone who has been bitten if they think they are a good starter hot. The question of what is a good starter hot shows you need experience. If you have sufficient experience with hots then you will know exactly what you can handle. Again I do not believe many 15 year olds can comprehend how much responsibility keeping hots actually evolves. Like I said before find a responsible mentor who will teach you and give you the practical experience you need. You are obviously very keen on your snakes and nothing can discourage a new herper faster than a trip to the ICU, loosing an kidney or a finger or two.
Back to top Go down
Gustav Eloy
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Gustav Eloy

Male
Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2010-09-09

Atheris squamigera Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris squamigera   Atheris squamigera Icon_minitimeFri 24 Sep - 17:56

sorry to tell you but there is no diference between a mamba or an ammodytes or even a bombslang, it all depends on your sensitivity to the venom of "x" snake, you may get bitten by an Oxyuranus and you can not die but maybe next time you get bitten by an ammodytes and it can kill you in less than a minute, it is because the sensitivity of you body changes depending on what are you exposed to, by the way are alerjic to penicilin or to a bee sting?? if you are so, don´t get into hots a minimun drop of venom of any snake can kill you in less than a minute, if you are not then get a morelia viridis and that is the best teacher you will have before you get a hot one

hope it works

best regards
Back to top Go down
Guenter Leitenbauer
Lord of the Serpents
Lord of the Serpents
Guenter Leitenbauer

Male

Atheris squamigera Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris squamigera   Atheris squamigera Icon_minitimeFri 24 Sep - 18:17

Gustav, I think You overstressed the "sensitivity" argument here. "No difference" between mambas and ammodytes is funny but surely not true.

And "less than a minute" is nonsense, sorry but I have to say this so clearly. If You define "dead" as brain death it will take at least several minutes until after the brain is no longer supported with blood (oxygen).

Regards
Guenter
Back to top Go down
Peter Zürcher
Admin
Admin
Peter Zürcher

Male
Number of posts : 1266
Registration date : 2008-03-06

Atheris squamigera Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris squamigera   Atheris squamigera Icon_minitimeFri 24 Sep - 19:58

There COULD be no difference between Dendroaspis spp. and Vipera spp. on the "sensivity level".

But one should be careful with statements like this - beginners could misunderstand it and take it as a reason to argue "if a Long Nosed Viper can kill me as qiuck as a Green Mamba, i can do an unexperienced start with a Dendroaspis as well."

Still in most snakebite accidents "normal" toxin-based effects will establish and there's quite a difference between Vipera and Dendroaspis.

On the other hand, it's okay, if not necessary for the venomous keeper, to have an eye on possible sensitivity problems.

http://www.venomousreptiles.org/articles/97

Best regards
Peter
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilienzoonockalm.at
Gustav Eloy
Serpent Chief
Serpent Chief
Gustav Eloy

Male
Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2010-09-09

Atheris squamigera Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris squamigera   Atheris squamigera Icon_minitimeSun 26 Sep - 3:06

jeej I´m sorry I did overstressed the termins that I used and yea I know that it is dificult to some one die in less than a minute, I was just trying to say how dangerous can be a bite form an ammodytes if you have sensitivity to its venom, and I know there is a huge diference between mamba and ammodytes venom but like I said I was just trying to explain how dangerous can be any venemous snake.
and yes peter I souldn´t make this comments can be an argue to get a mamba.
thank you guys for correcting mi comments
Back to top Go down
April Mandel
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer
April Mandel

Female
Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2011-04-23

Atheris squamigera Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris squamigera   Atheris squamigera Icon_minitimeWed 4 May - 7:39

Gustav Eloy wrote:
jeej I´m sorry I did overstressed the termins that I used and yea I know that it is dificult to some one die in less than a minute, I was just trying to say how dangerous can be a bite form an ammodytes if you have sensitivity to its venom, and I know there is a huge diference between mamba and ammodytes venom but like I said I was just trying to explain how dangerous can be any venemous snake.
and yes peter I souldn´t make this comments can be an argue to get a mamba.
thank you guys for correcting mi comments

One point I'd like to make, is simply that a bite from a venomous snake, ANY venomous snake, is a serious medical emergency that requires prompt professional care from a doctor who has experience in treating this kind of emergency. While the bite from Atheris sp. may or may not be fatal, the damage to a bitten limb can be profound, and loss of a finger or hand may result from an untreated bite.

Years back, I read an account of a young man who was bitten by a Notechis, and although he survived the bite, his hair turned white, his eyesight suffered, and he needed a cane to help him walk! Venomous snakes are not to be kept by unskilled, untrained people who aren't truly aware of the risks involved. No one can reasonably say that every possible scenario leading to an an accident has been understood and provisions taken to avoid the chance of a bite. A friend of mine thought he had everything under his control until the apartment under his had a FIRE which spread to his hot room! When the firemen came to his apartment to fight the fire, they were confronted with a room on fire that was full of venomous snakes, and my friend was at work at the time! Enough said!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Atheris squamigera Empty
PostSubject: Re: Atheris squamigera   Atheris squamigera Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Atheris squamigera
Page 1 of 1